C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Additional Theft Deterrent

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Additional Theft Deterrent

I just bought the following "faux burglar alarm" LED flashing light on Ebay for under $10. I mounted it in the center console plastic between the armrest and the gear selector. I drilled a small hole in the removable plastic piece between the seat adjustment switches; I don't have the ride control switch in the center making it a perfect spot. All wires completely hidden and secure. Anyway, this LED light is great. It flashes twice a second and is bright. Designed to automatically flash when the engine is off. You'll need to run one wire to a constant power source and the other to one to a "hot only" when ignition is on. You can also hook up an optional inline on/off switch to manually control the flashing. Light comes in a few flashing colors. In the shade or night time, the light looks intimidating and can easily be seen when looking in through the windows. MEDIOCRE CAR THIEVES BEWARE; is it real or fake? Go ahead, make my auto insurance's day!
Attached Images   

Last edited by RetroGuy; 06-16-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

I don't park anywhere at night where this would help. With that said I have thought about this exact thing. Dan
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

One of the best pieces of advice I think anyone ever posted here was about that very thing.

Q) "What's a good theft deterrent for an older C4?"

A) "The parking brake."

lol.. And they're right.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
One of the best pieces of advice I think anyone ever posted here was about that very thing.

A) "The parking brake."

lol.. And they're right.
I've seen tow truck drivers use their winch to pull a skidding car that was "In gear and Ebrake set" onto their flatbed. There are no foolproof ways to protect our Vettes when parked outside, only ways to discourage thieves.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:24 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Not a bad idea. Looks good .
Old 06-16-2018, 12:35 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I have the same setup, from PO. They ran the power to the security box, not sure of the pinout there but I added a micro toggle next to the lighter. Switch it on at night or when parked in shady area.

Last edited by xrav22; 06-16-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:42 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
There are no foolproof ways to protect our Vettes when parked outside, only ways to discourage thieves.
It's a C4, that should be enough of a deterrent.
The following users liked this post:
Benny42 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 12:46 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a similar light up behind the rear view mirror, except mines connected to a real alarm😂. Honestly I like the dummy light, it probably does just as much good as a real alarm because Im a firm believer if someone really wants to steal a car they’re going to get it. I’m not really an alarm person, but it came with the car. So far the only thing its done is go off in my own driveway because of my own stupidity. Like I said, Im not used to having an alarm so I keep forgetting about it. Twice now I’ve parked the car in the driveway, locked it, walked away, then gone back later or the next day to work on the car (rotate tires for example). Had no reason to open the doors, so didn’t even think to unlock/disarm the car. Then go to slide a jack under it and start lifting it and the car freaks out and starts blaring the alarm. At least I know it works..
Old 06-16-2018, 12:55 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
I've seen tow truck drivers use their winch to pull a skidding car that was "In gear and Ebrake set" onto their flatbed. There are no foolproof ways to protect our Vettes when parked outside, only ways to discourage thieves.
My car isn't finished yet.. It's half painted.

I think the best theft deterrent I can do is to park it beside one of your cars.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
I didn't think C4s were that highly sought after but I guess.

Here is an idea. Instead of screwing with that crap, why not get a REAL theft deterrent? Instead of warning that I might have a real alarm, why not get one that DOES make noise when they try and hope to startle them?

The way I see it, instead of wearing a shirt that implies that I have a gun, maybe let you guess till you try pull some crap and I draw on you?
Old 06-16-2018, 07:31 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Old 06-16-2018, 09:35 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by confab

A) "The parking brake."
that and having a 6-speed.

B17Crew

Last edited by B17Crew; 06-16-2018 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DGXR (06-18-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 09:49 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by B17Crew
that and having a 6-speed.

B17Crew

lol.. Yeah, in a world of Gen M types and automatic transmissions, a bunch of people may as well be trying to steal the USS Enterprise as a stick shift Vette.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:59 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
That's a fairly sophisticated install. The tilt sensor can be added to almost any alarm system, but seldom is. If the installer went to the trouble / expense to add the tilt sensor, I wonder if they did a starter disable? Sometime set it off and try to start the car normally. If they went to the trouble to do the tilt sensor, I'll bet that it doesn't crank either because they did the starter disable.
I’ll have to try it and see.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Uh, because a "real" theft deterrent involves a lot of disassembly of the interior for access, and molestation of wiring to install it. The blinking light is IMO a good compromise in doing something vs tearing the car up and messing with a lot of wires that may cause future problems.

I feel the "best" systems are passive starter and ECM kill devices that require a simple, discrete action by the driver to allow engine starting upon EVERY entry. I have such devices (of my own design and installation) in most of my vehicles. Not the 85, because I don't feel it is at much risk because there is no access to it. Shut off the key, open the door, and it will not start again until the actions are carried out. It sets every time passively, no0 action required to set it. In my Super Duty it takes two actions to disable the protection. It is so subtle that passengers can't figure out what it takes even if they are watching me for it.

None of this protects against a tow truck of course. But like any security system, the primary intent of the system is to give the owner some reassurance that he has done "something" to increase the odds that the car will remain where he left it. Even a simple blinking light meets this criteria.
I have never installed one personally but is it that difficult? http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/060...-theft-system/ seems to think not. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0...co-system.html says about $500 (back 8 years ago)

Sounds like a reasonable system I would want in my car, assuming I feel the need.

I guess I admit that I didn't consider the "do something" component where it assures the owner he is doing something. As you said, you won't beat a tow truck but I never considered that it gives the owner a false sense of security as a criteria. So yes, if it is going to help the owner sleep at night, I suppose it does something.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

I did my first one of these about 15 years ago. Really simple to wire one up, the idea is that if there is battery voltage on both wires, the light does not flash. If the (-) side of the light is low, it will.

In a C4 center console, here's how I'd hook it up:
LED red (+) to Cig Lighter orange. (Hot at all times)
LED yel (-) to P/N Switch dk blue. (Power for B/U lamps, hot in RUN).
When the key is OFF, the LED grounds through the ignition circuit.

Edit/add: In a 92-up I'd use the accy wires that are taped off in the center compartment. Orange (hot at all times) and pink/blk (hot in run and start)

I don't have any add-on "deterrents" in my C4. I don't consider it to be at high risk of theft. I worry a lot more about my 7.3 Diesel pick-up than the jankey-*** old 85. It's much more desirable, and the Mexican border is only 2 hours away. I'd never see it again.

If wired like 92-up is the light ON while running but just not blinking?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

And just in case anyone here thinks they are immune, there's also this:

On a more serious note, park a C4 next to any recent model Toyota, Chevy or Honda car or Ford Truck and that's pretty effective "anti-theft" protection. Car thieves will take the newer, more common car with parts that are far more in demand.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 06-18-2018 at 09:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6_Racer_X:
DGXR (06-18-2018), Paul Workman (06-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Additional Theft Deterrent

Old 06-18-2018, 12:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The reason I pay for insurance is because I don't want to worry about it. I might as well take comprehensive off and pay far less for liability if I had to worry. I can always upgrade to something newer and better if it gets stolen as long as I don't have to drive myself crazy with the worry about it being stolen.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Heres my additional anti theft deterrent:

Name:  RsnRfkQ.png
Views: 52
Size:  23.9 KB
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

You live in Hawthorne. You need that.

Hey Im just seeing your in Torrance! PM Sent!

Last edited by AgentEran; 06-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Additional Theft Deterrent