Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How water-tight is the convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default How water-tight is the convertible top?

I've been caught in the rain a few times and it stays dry as long as I am careful to be sure that when the door is closed, the corner of the glass doesn't get caught on the top fabric.

I'm curious of what the results were of trying to take one through a touchless automatic care wash. Yes, I know that violates one of the Commandments of Corvette ownership, but my garage/driveway is far away from the house and no water spigot is within reach to do it by hand.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you are going to take it to a car wash, I would recommend you use the self-serve type where you can control how hard the water hits the window area and the weatherstripping. That’s what I do and have minimal water intrusion into the cabin area.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
I've been caught in the rain a few times and it stays dry as long as I am careful to be sure that when the door is closed, the corner of the glass doesn't get caught on the top fabric.

I'm curious of what the results were of trying to take one through a touchless automatic care wash. Yes, I know that violates one of the Commandments of Corvette ownership, but my garage/driveway is far away from the house and no water spigot is within reach to do it by hand.
I've owned a 2005 BMW convertible for over 6 years and I have taken it through a car wash (brushes and all) lots of times and never had a single leak and contrary to conventional wisdom the 13 year old top is just fine and watertight.

Earlier this year, I drove my 2001 Corvette convertible though the car wash (brushes and all) right after getting a brand new top installed to test the workmanship of the shop and it did just fine (no leaks). Interestingly, however, on my road trip to Bowling Green a few months ago, on the way home we got caught in a torrential rain and there was a slight periodic drip from time to time from the driver's side window. I've not experienced it again since. So my take away is that the fitment of the top is likely something very unique to each car and if water hits a seal "just right" it might leak.

I don't think you have much to worry about. I do wash my Corvette convertible in our drive almost all of the time (other than that first test run of the new top through the car wash), another alternative you might consider is the old fashioned wand wash....I've used those before and they do a pretty good job and you are in control of the spray.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Automatic car wash? Do what Vetteman Jack said.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I did it all the time until mine was lowered..... even had brushes and all was fine.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:25 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Thanks for the replies.

I'm more concerned with the bottom of the back area, where it just sits on the car. It doesn't look like there is really a seal there.

I'm less concerned with the area around the windows, I think the weather stripping is still soft and pliable, and makes a good seal.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:24 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I wash my car at home. It's a Vert.
It does not leak in any weather. However, if the hose hits the window from the bottom up, as I would suspect a car wash would do, I get few drips inside the car.
I may need to adjust my glass some for a tighter fit, but since it does not leak in a downward rainfall, I am not going to mess with it.
My suspicion is that my interior would not fair well with a car wash, that's besides the fact that the car itself would drag in a conveyor type car wash.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Try it and see what happens. Then you will know.
For me and my 03 vert I will wash it by hand as I have everything I need right by my driveway. It only takes me a few minutes then I blow it off with my leaf blower and wipe it down. Easy peasy!
I don't think I would take it through a car wash that the brushes hit it though. Just me.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

03 vert., brushless car wash, few leaks around top side windows. do it your car wash, no leaks, any type of rain, no leaks. no leaks where top meets trunk area. happy camper.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

There are some adjustments for the convertible top...
http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...te_id=1#import

Last edited by Smoken1; 06-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Give up washing your Corvette all together, and purchase the Chadwicks Triple Play system. I used to wash & detail cars in HS. It took me years to convert. But now, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:44 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Thanks for the replies.

I'm more concerned with the bottom of the back area, where it just sits on the car. It doesn't look like there is really a seal there.

I'm less concerned with the area around the windows, I think the weather stripping is still soft and pliable, and makes a good seal.
When you are stowing the top and lifting up the back, take a good look around the back edge of the top and you will see a nice rubber seal. When the top up and locked down against the rear deck, take a credit card and slide it between the deck lid and the top and you can feel the seal. The top may look like it is not firmly sealed at the back, but it is.

Neither my old nor my new top ever showed signs of leakage where the top meets the deck. I suppose it is possible if your seals are shot or your top not properly adjusted...but I suspect you'd be hearing a lot of wind noise if that was the case. Also, a little bit of water isn't going to hurt your car, so go ahead and give it a test. If you are very concerned, I do think you'd be better off using a wand wash. You can also get the car clean by using a bucket of water. I do that quite a bit- soapy water with micro fiber cloth, followed up with a clear bucket of water and micro fiber cloth, then dry and wax if you like. You do not need a hose to wash a car.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:48 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a couple of long water hoses. However. Its pretty good seal unless your seals are bad/worn out. Ive driven 145mph+ in the vert and the top held up nice. But i say skip the automatic dryer aa it will blow your rear window.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Use the "brushless" washes, and you should have no problem.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:45 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

I just squashed the last leak on mine. Since then here is Austin it has been through some really bad rain storms and not a drop of water.

Also like everyone else said only coin operated or hand washed
Old 06-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Originally Posted by My Vette Life
Do yourself a favor and get a couple of long water hoses. However. Its pretty good seal unless your seals are bad/worn out. Ive driven 145mph+ in the vert and the top held up nice. But i say skip the automatic dryer aa it will blow your rear window.
That's a good point about the dryer. I didn't think about the rear window.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

That's a good point about the dryer. I didn't think about the rear window.
trust me. It will not hold up with the dryer, avoid any potential damage. Get a few hoses or a cart with buckets of water.
​​​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To How water-tight is the convertible top?

Old 06-17-2018, 11:09 PM
wdcraig
Pro

I've heard about dryers blowing out rear windows on convertible tops. I wonder just how often this actually happens (and when it does happen, if the window is simply on borrowed time). In my case the 17 year old/100,000 mile top's window did not pop out in the car washes, rather it popped out when I was cleaning it by hand. Based on my experience, I'd more inclined to advise fellow convertible owners with old tops to be very careful not to place too much pressure against that back glass while cleaning.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Build up the w/s weatherstrip where it turns down the pillar. Told the glass installer my problem and he solved it by putting extra stuff in that area.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

My '99 vert is on its 2nd top, replaced by the original owner. Absolutely leak free during normal driving and washing. High pressure water, as in a manual car wash with a pressure wand, not automated, will result in a couple drops inside getting by the window seals, but as I said, zero leakage in normal conditions.

Last edited by friou; 06-21-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: How water-tight is the convertible top?