C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell Your Favorite Corvette Story

Old 06-17-2018, 07:01 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Default Tell Your Favorite Corvette Story

I had just purchased a new 2008 White Convertible it was the month of June and I still lived in Sacramento.I was headed East on I-75 headed towards a great golf course up in the foothills.I looked in the rearview mirror and I noticed what appeared to be a Yellow Z06 approaching on my left at great speed.When the Corvette pulled even with me I turned and looked and there was an older man saluting me, immediately I thought to myself "Damn that looks like Chuck Yaeger" as the car pulled away I noticed The License Plate USAF1.I had just been saluted by the Greatest Pilot Ever that was quite a thrill for me.
The following users liked this post:
joliett (06-20-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Very cool story!

I came out of the store and walked toward my 03 Millennium Yellow vert that was parked out away from everyone else. There were 2 adults and a kid of about 8 standing next to it, looking it over. When I got there they asked if they could take a picture with the kid next to the car. I said to hold on a minute, that I would do better than that. I dropped the top and had the kid sit in the driver's seat. You should have seen the look on his face; it made my day. I found out the people were visiting from Sweden.

I did the same thing with my current GS Centennial vert in a restaurant parking lot for a 16 or 17 year old girl. She wanted a picture of her next to the car to show her boyfriend, so I told her to climb in and get a good picture. She laughed and said "he's going to be so jealous".

I love seeing young people who are excited about our cars (or cars in general).

Last edited by BadAV; 06-17-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

When I was a boy I used to stay with my cousins for a few weeks in the summer. I must’ve been about six or seven years old. we were walking up to the corner store. On the way back there was a new (63-64), dark blue or black Corvette stingray sitting in a driveway. We get to their house, they grab the camera and took a picture of me beside the car. About two weeks later (drug store photo development, young guys) when the picture came in the mail, I kept it for years and years. I don’t know whatever happened to the picture but that was when I realized someday I would own Corvette. Luckily I’ve been able to own three.

Last edited by iw172; 06-17-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

My late cousin John had what I believe was either a 64 or 65 model Corvette that had from what I thought was a 427 with a 4 speed, roll cage setup, fire extinguisher, and set up for track racing. He came up for the weekend and took me for a ride. We turned around on a spot on the loop in our town and took off. In a very short distance, we were going over 130 miles an hour and it was the fastest car I had ever been in being only 10 at the time...John drove it like he stole it all the time...I was hooked..... I'm on my 3rd Corvette now, but sure wish I had his old one...
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Originally Posted by Richard F
My late cousin John had what I believe was either a 64 or 65 model Corvette that had from what I thought was a 427 with a 4 speed, roll cage setup, fire extinguisher, and set up for track racing. He came up for the weekend and took me for a ride. We turned around on a spot on the loop in our town and took off. In a very short distance, we were going over 130 miles an hour and it was the fastest car I had ever been in being only 10 at the time...John drove it like he stole it all the time...I was hooked..... I'm on my 3rd Corvette now, but sure wish I had his old one...
Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In 1972 bought a 58 for 1500 dollars and had the car repainted for 300 dollars. Needed a air cleaner so I made one out of a lard can lid had to be low profile to fit under the hood. Kept the car for about one year and made a even trade for a 67 vert with a factory 3 speed straight drive. Less than 400 of them were produced.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:32 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I parked my C5 at a valet downtown and when i got my ticket some dude said "must be nice your dad bought you a Ferrari"
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

back in the day when i was racing my 72 lt-1, i trailered it out to a fellow club members standard station at the intersection of i-70 and hwy 79 in o'fallon, mo. to work on it as i had a miss that i couldn't get rid of. i pulled in next to the station, unloaded, drove it into one of the bays and raised the hood. instantly i had about 5-6 extra minds and twice the hands to figure out the problem. oh, did i mention it was open coolers while working and i also was running open headers? so about an hour later we figured we had the problem licked and the 'proof was in the pudding' so i started it back up and headed up hwy 79, over the railroad bridge and about a 1/4 mile and made a u'ie. this time i laid into it and when i was in the middle of the bridge one of o'fallons finest was coming towards me. instantly the lights and siren came on but he couldn't turn around until he got off the bridge. i beat feet back to the station, slid across the lot and parked next to my car with the trailer blocking part of it and was standing in the doorway. here comes barney fife, pulls into the station lot and stops right in front of me and asks me if i saw a blue corvette come by. i said he went that way, pointing towards i-70 and off he goes in all his glory. now everyone in the station had to stop what they were doing figuring i was headed to jail but when he took off, every one was just rolling. they just couldn't believe what just happened. left the cars and trailer set for a couple hours before loading up and heading for home.

honest, true story.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
back in the day when i was racing my 72 lt-1, i trailered it out to a fellow club members standard station at the intersection of i-70 and hwy 79 in o'fallon, mo. to work on it as i had a miss that i couldn't get rid of. i pulled in next to the station, unloaded, drove it into one of the bays and raised the hood. instantly i had about 5-6 extra minds and twice the hands to figure out the problem. oh, did i mention it was open coolers while working and i also was running open headers? so about an hour later we figured we had the problem licked and the 'proof was in the pudding' so i started it back up and headed up hwy 79, over the railroad bridge and about a 1/4 mile and made a u'ie. this time i laid into it and when i was in the middle of the bridge one of o'fallons finest was coming towards me. instantly the lights and siren came on but he couldn't turn around until he got off the bridge. i beat feet back to the station, slid across the lot and parked next to my car with the trailer blocking part of it and was standing in the doorway. here comes barney fife, pulls into the station lot and stops right in front of me and asks me if i saw a blue corvette come by. i said he went that way, pointing towards i-70 and off he goes in all his glory. now everyone in the station had to stop what they were doing figuring i was headed to jail but when he took off, every one was just rolling. they just couldn't believe what just happened. left the cars and trailer set for a couple hours before loading up and heading for home.

honest, true story.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,692 Posts

honest, true story.
I assume that gas station is no longer there today? I lived in O'Fallon for 19 years; we moved to Jefferson City last year when I retired. Our son lived in Winfield so I am pretty familiar with the area you referenced. If this happened 20 or so years ago, O'Fallon was still a pretty small town without a lot of police. Their snow removal equipment back then consisted of four 3/4 ton pickups with plows on the front.

Last edited by BadAV; 06-18-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

sig sutherland, rip, was the owner of the standard station and we all belonged to boone trail corvette club. when the state 'revamped' the i-70/hwy 79 interchange, the station was torn down and sig opened an automotive repair shop in o'fallon. this incident was back in the late 70's.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

I am the kid on the bike... all my same story as I grew up, married , kids, braces, houise stuff and no Corvette yet. ... where the story changes is I am not dead yet and I have 2 Corvette C6 GS.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Maybe the best stories are when one lets a child sit behind the steering wheel.
The joy the kid gets lasts for weeks.

Otherwise, getting thumbs up from homeless people is priceless.

Unfortunately, I have no excited cheerleader stories in my history.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 06-18-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

My other Corvette story would be this with my 6 yr old granddaughter.

She has always ridden in a car seat in Momma's SUV - in the Rear Seat.

One day we had to go to the store and I took a Booster seat put it in the Grand Sport. Asked if she wanted to go to the store with Grandpa. She said quite loud - YES!, so I put her in the Corvette , buckle her up and she asks, Can we take the Top off?, So I did , She said Grandpa this is so cool! We are driving along and I have the 60's channel on Sirius radio, and Neil Diamond comes on with Sweet Caroline... My granddaughter is now snapping her fingers to the beat of the song and swaying back n forth,, saying "This is sooooooo Cool." Then I punched it going up a hill in second gear--- you should have heard the scream.!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by C6 Snowboarder:
joliett (06-20-2018), OregonMike (06-18-2018), Twin6s (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Horps27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite story is a kid behind the wheel story. I walked out of a Verizon store in Colorado springs, and there was a little boy jumping up and down shouting about riding in the race car. As you can see from the picture, he was wearing his lightening McQueen shirt. His parents were trying to shoo him along, but I asked if he wanted to sit in it. He hopped in, and started making racecar noises behind the wheel. I fired it up for him, and let him stand on the gas a little. It may have made his day, but it really made mine. I was in the middle of a long term injury at the time, and a long way away from home for I didn't know how long. That little boy probably made my month.

I have a Corvette because I love it, but also because it brings others joy. I'm now on my second, a C6Z. In the first weekend we got so many compliments, and people wanting to look at the car, and just smiles.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

A friend of mine at work (in 2005) ask me why I bought a $50,000 car? I said "you probably have more than that in your bass boat". He said 'enjoy'.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
A friend of mine at work (in 2005) ask me why I bought a $50,000 car? I said "you probably have more than that in your bass boat". He said 'enjoy'.

Get notified of new replies

To Tell Your Favorite Corvette Story

Old 06-18-2018, 06:46 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

honest, true story.

That is so funny !!!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvette312
That is so funny !!!
semper fi...and 'swing with the wing'. is 312 from vmfa/vma 312?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have two good stories. When I was about 10 years old I was kicked in the chin by a horse. My dad raced down some straight back roads going around 100 MPH, and the pain in my chin didn't matter because of the joy of going so fast in his '68.

My second story isn't as nice, I just finished washing/waxing my 2007, and pulled it into the driveway while I washed/waxed my 1964. My daughter walks out of the house while I'm washing my 1964 and tells me she's going to the store as she walks past my 2007 corvette. Okay, fine, I figure how can she miss the 2007 corvette in the driveway, right?! Well, as I'm washing the car, I watch as she backs her car into the door of my 2007 and didn't stop until I started screaming, waving my arms and running at her. Her comment was I didn't see the car. She was just oblivious to the vehicle even being there. Then she said, "I guess this means I get to inherit this car as I've already marked it." Well, we'll see about that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell Your Favorite Corvette Story