Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to completely disable TC and ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Best way to completely disable TC and ABS?

Its an early 98 C5 and I am concerned that the ECBM system has crapped out. This car is only used for autocrossing and I want to practice with no ABS and see how is does.

To completely disable TC and ABS should I simply pull a fuse? Which one?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Pulling the steering position sensor will definitely kill Active Handling, but not ABS. Pulling the fuse will then kill ABS.
The following users liked this post:
Red5 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:36 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Pulling the steering position sensor will definitely kill Active Handling, but not ABS. Pulling the fuse will then kill ABS.
My early 98 c5 does not have active handling. It does have traction control. And it is stuck in the on position. Been told that they think my ecbm is out but I am not sure. I can not race the car with this archaic TC system engaged. I need to disable it somehow. I would prefer to keep the ABS but it is not a requirement. If I pull the steering position sensor will it disengage the TC and leave the abs?

If not than how can I disable the entire system?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red5
My early 98 c5 does not have active handling. It does have traction control. And it is stuck in the on position. Been told that they think my ecbm is out but I am not sure. I can not race the car with this archaic TC system engaged. I need to disable it somehow. I would prefer to keep the ABS but it is not a requirement. If I pull the steering position sensor will it disengage the TC and leave the abs?

If not than how can I disable the entire system?
Sorry, wasn't aware of the differences with the early models. I'm not sure how to defeat it properly, but I'm sure some members will pop in and help out. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:32 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

by unplugging the steering wheel position sensor on my C6Z it completely disables the active handling, and sets the TC to off by default.
i can turn TC back on with the button, but active handling is completly not even in the menu and disabled.
ABS still works.
its exactly what i wanted.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-20-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
by unplugging the steering wheel position sensor on my C6Z it completely disables the active handling, and sets the TC to off by default.
i can turn TC back on with the button, but active handling is completly not even in the menu and disabled.
ABS still works.
its exactly what i wanted.

But this is an early model C5 and it doesn't have active handling. Just for the heck of it I bought another switch to see if that may fix this issue. If it doesn't then I have till Sunday to figure out how to disable everything.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Pulling the steering sensor on a C5 to kill traction control won't work. It still turns ON by default. I've had my steering sensor pulled since 2013 and have to remember to turn off the TC at the strip or during 1/2 mile passes.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The beauty of the early C5's is that disabling the ABS won't effect brake bias - the later C5's have dynamic rear proportioning integrated in the EBCM so disabling ABS also screws with brake bias. On your early car the bias still stays the same - so unplug the large maxi-fuses, I believe there are two of them - and you are ABS and TC free. If you are still unsure if it's truly disabled you can always unplug the EBCM as well, but the fuses will do the job.

If you're going to go on with no ABS you may think about some less aggressive pads - not sure what pads you are running but something with less initial bite will be easier to control.

Ideally try to find a pad that you have to darn near stand on the pedal to make the car lock up, it's not easy to feel lock up.
The following users liked this post:
Red5 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Ideally try to find a pad that you have to darn near stand on the pedal to make the car lock up, it's not easy to feel lock up.
Sure it is easy to feel lock up. The car goes thump, thump, thump when you drive it after lock-up. ;-)

Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The beauty of the early C5's is that disabling the ABS won't effect brake bias - the later C5's have dynamic rear proportioning integrated in the EBCM so disabling ABS also screws with brake bias. On your early car the bias still stays the same - so unplug the large maxi-fuses, I believe there are two of them - and you are ABS and TC free. If you are still unsure if it's truly disabled you can always unplug the EBCM as well, but the fuses will do the job.

If you're going to go on with no ABS you may think about some less aggressive pads - not sure what pads you are running but something with less initial bite will be easier to control.

Thank you. Very good advice. It's a shame that I just upgraded brake pads to HP +. Grr. Guess I will need to learn foot control quickly.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:09 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Depends on the tires, HP+ are not that grabby - it's not like you have DTC-70's on or anything. Just remember to ramp up the brake pressure - no stabbing!

Easier said than done on autocross - also you may decide to play with brake bias a bit - DRM sells an aftermarket spring to add more rear brake. Or you could install an aftermarket bias **** so you can fine tune it yourself. Wilwood has a couple and AP Racing has a really nice one. But you would have to be able to do some testing to get it right.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Red5
Safety Car

My new switch has arrived and it did NOT fix the problem.

List of codes:
P0133 HC
C1281 H
B2597 HC
B0361 H
B0363 H
B0441 HC
ACS- No Comm
C2110 H
C2115 H

Do you have any idea as to what is going on with my Corvette?
Old 06-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Pull ebcm? my stopped working ages ago so I just took it out. Never had any TC/AH/ABS and outside of the messages coming up each time telling to you "Service ...." there was no effect on the car. 02 Z06.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

if you disconnect a wheel speed sensor it kills everything. Car has no idea what you are doing or what to do about it.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:50 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

This may seem ridiculous but I may have some electrical gremlins and yesterday after a gas fill up, someone cut me off badly and I was angry... so I dropped the clutch and spun the rear tires and somehow the ABS came on.

Driving all the way to work, no ABS and when I braked, I was worried of lock up, but I actually braked better than with ABS functioning lol. My old track car (an older car) came with no ABS and so i was used to racing with no ABS but... on this very topic... makes me wonder... is the ABS interfering too much because of some issue and therefore I braked better with it unintentionally off...
Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red5
My new switch has arrived and it did NOT fix the problem.

List of codes:
P0133 HC
C1281 H
B2597 HC <---
B0361 H
B0363 H
B0441 HC
ACS- No Comm
C2110 H
C2115 H

Do you have any idea as to what is going on with my Corvette?
The B2597 looks like it's probably your issue - it's just up to you if you want to chase after it or not.

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 06-27-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to completely disable TC and ABS?

Quick Reply: Best way to completely disable TC and ABS?