C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'84 warm start issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:54 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Default '84 warm start issues

My '84 (I'm original owner, 26,000 miles) has an issue when starting warm/hot. It doesn't want to keep running and requires feathering the accelerator for about a minute until it settles into an idle that keeps it going. Almost like it's starving for fuel. This started a couple of years ago and I've replaced the fuel filter twice which seems to help for awhile but I think there is something else going on. The car is totally stock with the cross-fire system all intact. Any others with this problem? Fuel going bad from extended storage? Ideas?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 PM
fparkin
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

if you say changing fuel filter helps I check the pump pressure I thinking soon as filter gets plugged a little fuel pump mite have hard time getting gas though think pressure around 13psi
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
It doesn't want to keep running and requires feathering the accelerator for about a minute until it settles into an idle that keeps it going.
Your coolant temperature sensor is on the fritz.

Your sensors is sending signals to your computer that your engine is hot when it is cold and cold when it is hot. That wrong information really screws up you rich/lean setting, hence why your engine runs poorly.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

If you settle to a high idle I would definitely agree it is the CTS. Tou cold also have a fuel pressure issue or even maybe an O2 sensor. However the O2 sensor only helps in closed loop and even then it is little. There was a gentleman who's car ran decent with it unplugged. If you have the means to make a wire for winaldl to view live data that also will help. Both suggestions are right and good places to start.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

It settles to an idle of 600 RPM, so definitely not high. Coolant temp reading seems to be correct/normal from cold start to operating temp. Fuel pressure and/or O2 sensor sound like the possible culprits. After 35 years of ownership I suppose it's time to have some issues. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
It settles to an idle of 600 RPM, so definitely not high. Coolant temp reading seems to be correct/normal from cold start to operating temp. Fuel pressure and/or O2 sensor sound like the possible culprits. After 35 years of ownership I suppose it's time to have some issues. Thanks!
The dash readout is from a different CTS. The ecm uses one on the intake the dash uses one on the heads.

Get notified of new replies

To '84 warm start issues

Quick Reply: '84 warm start issues