Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 PM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

I signed my contract today for a custom build C7 Grand Sport to be picked up at the Bowling Green Museum in August. Has anyone here heard when the factory tours might resume?

For anyone who has taken delivery at Bowling Green: Was it a good experience for you?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 PM
DD04C5
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Went to the factory in March 2017 and watched the Grand Sport be built, then went back in April 2017 and took Museum delivery it was a great experience. I recommend it highly. Not sure when the factory tours are going to start again.
The following users liked this post:
blue max (06-22-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the plant opens to the public in January 2019. Its been closed for a year and a half because of the ZR1 and now the new Mid engine car. Once they introduce the mid engine car at the Detroit auto show in January they will no longer care who sees what laying around the plant. Order the photo book from the NCM, pricey but worth it.

Last edited by C5Driver; 06-20-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

The whole experience was very worth it. I'm a bit torn on recommending it without the plant tour though. The plant tour was by far one of the top highlights. But just walking into the museum and seeing your car on display is really an unforgettable experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
blue max (06-22-2018), mschuyler (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 01:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I can't imagine it being a bad experience.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:10 AM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Mine sat at the museum for 4 weeks, when I came to pick it up I open the door and I’m looking at wrinkles in the leather seats. I said to the museum rep why wasn’t this replaced you had it for 4 weeks the factory is a block away, his response I see a lot of them like that. Here is a picture of the seat in a $100,000 car really.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:22 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Wow...on a 3LT no less.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:10 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by DD04C5
Went to the factory in March 2017 and watched the Grand Sport be built, then went back in April 2017 and took Museum delivery it was a great experience. I recommend it highly. Not sure when the factory tours are going to start again.
Was there a month ago. Assembly plant tours not expected to resume until January. This was my fourth R8C delivery over the past 12 years so it wasn't a biggie for me to miss the plant tour.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:43 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I am in the minority on this for sure but to me the whole process is not worth the money. I can always take the public tour if I was into the assembly thing, which I saw on TV and that was good enough for me. I want my car delivered to me by the person I purchased it from. I want that person to go over all the details, etc.
From what I have read everyone who has done the museum delivery has been very happy so as I said if you like what you have read, then go for it.
Skid Row Joe (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you have to pay sticker price and pay extra for NCM delivery?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default A Grand Baby

Museum delivery is a thousand dollar RPO option added to an ordered car. No different than any other add on. Plus airfare, meals, hotel, and travel home you get to $2-3K easily. And unlike most who post here, our BG delivery was a nightmare of incompetence. Just our experience not all.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,438 Likes on 781 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I did museum delivery on both of my C6's. I did not get a factory tour when I took delivery of the 2013 because it was closed for C7 retooling. I did get my tour 2 years later to see the C7 getting built. The rain check had no expiration date. My tour guide showed me many things the regular tour doesn't show. I was in the plant for about 2.5 hours. I took delivery of my C7 at the dealer since they had the car I wanted in stock. I also wanted to meet the guys at Kerbeck since the C7 was my third purchase from them.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 06-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Museum delivery is a thousand dollar RPO option added to an ordered car. No different than any other add on. Plus airfare, meals, hotel, and travel home you get to $2-3K easily. And unlike most who post here, our BG delivery was a nightmare of incompetence. Just our experience not all.
I am sorry for your feelings about NCM Delivery. Curious why it was such a debacle? I am guessing it had an issue and snowballed from there, but either way, it sucks when such an anticipated experience leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Personally I feel it is one of best things you can ever do for yourself as a Corvette enthusiast. I have taken delivery twice at the museum and both times I chased the car(s) through the plant being built the week before. My orders were in 2001 and 2008. They have since made that as an option available for purchase as well. They have also added the photo album which was not an option when mine went through. In 2001 we were scheduled to take delivery in 9/11/01, I am sure you all know what happened then so we ended up taking delivery the following week, but the original idea of flying in, etc obviously went a different direction. The 2nd Museum delivery in 09 seemed just as special because it was a one off car (Blue/Red and that ended up being the ONLY one made that year with that combination.)

I guess what I am saying is it's about feeling good and having something special to remember when you purchase the car. There is no company in the world that has this option(s) other than the Corvette Museum. ALL the money goes to help the museum, you are not just paying for the "delivery" but making a donation towards keeping the history of our sport. Besides, where can you share your experience with all your friends via the Web Cams and the people visiting the museum at the time whether Corvette Owners or just tourists will experience your enthusiasm and maybe a little envy that day!

It is unfortunate that right now, the Factory tours are down, but with the rain check make sure you plan on it for the future. You receive a name tag/badge you wear when going through the plant, the employees do take notice and the reactions and conversations you will have, I guarantee will be memories made for life. They TRULY appreciate your business and will let you know it! Just a side note: The delivery tour of the plant is NOT the same as the general public tour.

Last edited by Bajaholic; 06-23-2018 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bajaholic:
blue max (06-22-2018), corvettemuseum (06-25-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,719 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Care to share some details? Might be helpful for those considering the experience.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,719 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I am in the minority on this for sure but to me the whole process is not worth the money. I can always take the public tour if I was into the assembly thing, which I saw on TV and that was good enough for me. I want my car delivered to me by the person I purchased it from. I want that person to go over all the details, etc.
From what I have read everyone who has done the museum delivery has been very happy so as I said if you like what you have read, then go for it.
Personally, I would like to visit the museum and take the tour, however not sure the delivery experience is for me either.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Our experience with both the museum delivery and the factory tour couldn't have been better! Highly recommend both be on a Vette fan's bucket list.....along with Spring Mountain.
corvettemuseum (06-25-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

From what I've read here on CF7, your GM Bowling Green Plant tour will be retroactively honored at a later date. For how long that voucher is valid for, is the question.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Old 06-22-2018, 07:47 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I am in the minority on this for sure but to me the whole process is not worth the money. ...............................
I will offer a perspective about R8C that I really haven't seen mentioned. Getting a corvette deal from a Houston area chevy dealer is a complete joke and waste of time compared to shopping to buy a built to order car from one of our Forum Supporting Dealers. The savings difference is many thousands of dollars and a savings in shopping time. R8C allows me to order from any dealer in the USA and have it delivered at BG which is less than 900 miles from home no matter where the dealer is located. I would much rather have the museum prep my car than the local yo-yos here in the Houston area and also risk transport damage between BG and Houston. Most people don't realize that cars coming into the Houston area get unloaded first in a huge staging lot in north Houston before getting reloaded onto a truck for local deliveries at the dealerships. No Thanks. My wife and I take the advantage of making the trip up there as a mini-vacation to visit the area and not simply one to go get the car. Yes it was a far sweeter deal when R8C was an MSRP option less than $500 but I can still find justification at double that price. Ultimately R8C is a judgment call in the eyes of the beholder that each individual has to decide. I think most of us over the years here though have said yes that it is a worthwhile experience. Just my take on this.
The following 2 users liked this post by GOLD72:
blue max (06-22-2018), corvettemuseum (06-25-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 AM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

I am sorry you don't approve of the museum delivery. However, I cannot tell from post if you have done the museum delivery. The tour of the factory when it is available is way different than the regular tour as you can get to see your car being produced. I have done two museum deliveries and helped my club members do the same and all were super happy and would do it again without hesitating. If you in fact have not done the museum delivery I don't know how you can justify criticizing it. It is a strong positive for the museum and our Corvette owners.
Oh and by the way no dealership comes close to going over the car like the museum does. Not even close

Last edited by blue max; 06-22-2018 at 08:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blue max:
corvettemuseum (06-25-2018), GOLD72 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:45 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
I signed my contract today for a custom build C7 Grand Sport to be picked up at the Bowling Green Museum in August. Has anyone here heard when the factory tours might resume?

For anyone who has taken delivery at Bowling Green: Was it a good experience for you?
I was just there over Fathers Day and the factory tours will resume in March.

Quick Reply: Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?