Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this before? C7 Mulan Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:56 AM
Laguna
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone seen this before? C7 Napa Leather

Just noticed these weird spots on my seats. I purchased the car a month ago and I know for sure they weren't there. I didn't notice them until today when I was cleaning my seats with water and a microfiber. It doesn't come off with water and looks like a really strong glue dried on it. When I wipe the area it disappears only to reappear once dry. I did have the car ceramic coated recently. If that were to have got on the seat is this what would happen? I don't remember seeing it when I picked up the car from being coated so I'm kind of clueless. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Laguna; 06-21-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Napa Leather not Mulan
Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

It does look like the ceramic coating may have gotten on the seat. Call a BMW or Mercedes dealer in your area and ask for contact info for who does their leather seat repairs.
These guys are often mobile and will come to your house or worst case you meet them at a dealer. They can match/dye/repair both the spots and that scratch on your bolster
for $100>$150 bucks. You will never know they were there.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-21-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting the seat fixed. Those mobile detailers can sometimes do wonders with the interior.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Laguna
Cruising

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It does look like the ceramic coating may have gotten on the seat. Call a BMW or Mercedes dealer in your area and ask for contact info for who does their leather seat repairs.
These guys are often mobile and will come to your house or worst case you meet them at a dealer. They can match/dye/repair both the spots and that scratch on your bolster
for $100>$150 bucks. You will never know they were there.
Thanks I appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:42 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good advice above. But just understand one thing: that is either "mulan" which is not leather, or napa which is. The two are not synonymous, and leather. That will affect what anyone applies to mitigate whatever's on there.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:47 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

I have one like the larger one, I believe it is the latch on the seat belt causing mine.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Drivers seat? picture the v of 2 straps of the seat belt hitting the leather on the side of the seat when fastened. if you're not rubbin you're not racin.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 AM
dash7510
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like wear marks from getting into the seat. There is at least one video out there showing proper entry methods into our seats.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:43 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I have to check my car, but I think that part of the seat is vinyl. Only the face is leather.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Vinyl, leather, napa, mulan, doesn't matter, a good interior repair guy like the luxury car dealers use will be able to repair it so as it's no longer seen.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Laguna
Cruising

I contacted my local MB and BMW dealer. Both seemed rather confused about what i was looking for. MB suggested a local upholestery shop. I contacted them and they went on about how it would require discoloring the leather and would have to be dyed. He also said it wouldnt last etc. The guy didnt breed much confidence in me. He is also booked till august and I am trying to get it fixed late july as i want to attend the Black Hills Corvette Classic. Anybody know of someone who can do this job in South Dakota? I am not concerned about cost just looking for someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Laguna
Cruising

This was the closest thing i could find in South Dakota that i thought fit what I am looking for. Anyone have experience with fibrenew? I see it is nationwide.

https://www.fibrenew.com/black-hills/

Last edited by Laguna; 06-21-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:17 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Good advice above. But just understand one thing: that is either "mulan" which is not leather, or napa which is. The two are not synonymous, and leather. That will affect what anyone applies to mitigate whatever's on there.
Originally Posted by red62vette
I have to check my car, but I think that part of the seat is vinyl. Only the face is leather.
Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Vinyl, leather, napa, mulan, doesn't matter, a good interior repair guy like the luxury car dealers use will be able to repair it so as it's no longer seen.
Hopefully it doesn't make a difference as this Napa, Mulan (GM's name like Ricardo Montalban's famous Corinthian Leather that was coined by Chryslers ad agency) ) and vinyl do not make a difference and I agree they should not.

Been a question as what parts are made from whatever when I got my 3LT 2104 C7! There was a long Thread recently and it was clarified to my satisfaction. Only the "Seating Surface is either Napa leather on 3LT's or Mulan Leather on 1 and 2 LT's. Mulan is made like vinyl except instead of mostly using oil based materials ~40% is chopped up fine leather particles from leather scarps!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-21-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:42 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have a spot on mine just like that bottom one. It was there from day one. I guess it just never bothered me. But I remember I tried to rub it off and it wouldn't budge.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When dealing with small appearance problems like that, the cure can be worse than the disease.
If it were me:

1. Get in and strap in, see if anything I'm wearing or doing could have caused the problem.
2. Try to remove with a warm damp black terrycloth towel and some rubbing. Terrycloth seems slightly more "abrasive" than microfiber. If no help, add a tiny bit of liquid soap and rubbing.
3. If still no help, call the ceramic applicator and ask what they would use to remove if it's theirs. Test the cleaner thoroughly on a hidden area, and wait a couple of days after the test for possible delayed damage.
Don't let them actually touch it without you standing there holding a club over their head.
4. If still no solution, go for a brisk drive out in the boonies (lots of those in SD) and remember that minor stains don't effect the driving.

Been there, done that myself.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
When dealing with small appearance problems like that, the cure can be worse than the disease.
If it were me:

1. Get in and strap in, see if anything I'm wearing or doing could have caused the problem.
2. Try to remove with a warm damp black terrycloth towel and some rubbing. Terrycloth seems slightly more "abrasive" than microfiber. If no help, add a tiny bit of liquid soap and rubbing.
3. If still no help, call the ceramic applicator and ask what they would use to remove if it's theirs. Test the cleaner thoroughly on a hidden area, and wait a couple of days after the test for possible delayed damage.
Don't let them actually touch it without you standing there holding a club over their head.
4. If still no solution, go for a brisk drive out in the boonies (lots of those in SD) and remember that minor stains don't effect the driving.

Been there, done that myself.
That's god advice. Always start with the least aggressive solution first.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone seen this before? C7 Mulan Leather

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this before? C7 Mulan Leather