C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hello from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
Default Hello from Australia

Hi All
I have recently picked up an 84 Corvette with original crossfire and a doug nash 4+3. The plan is to work on it with my son and make it a daily driver. Corvettes are not that common in Australia so I will probably have to do most of the work myself.

Anyway ive been gradually fixing the cars issues and it has been getting better and better. The other day i went down to the garage to be confronted by a large puddle of oil. The the oil was dripping down the back of the engine and was also on the top of the crossfire inlet manifold.

I read in these forums that it could be the oil pressure sender so I have removed the wiper motor and the distributor to have a better look. The oil pressure sender and switch look dry and I can’t see anything obvious. I thought it might be leaking out of the rear of the manifold and I noticed that a couple of the bolts were not tensioned up correctly so I touqued them up. It looks like oil is tracking up the choke cable (I thing that’s what it is) and depositing on top of the manifold then dripping back down.

my question is, would the oil under the inlet manifold be under enough pressure to cause this amount of mess or am I missing something?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by GregMartin; 06-21-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Can't help you on the CrossFire but welcome to the forum
I can say I've seen oil blow out of places where I didn't think it could on other engines so who knows. I seem to remember reading where there's a dye that can be added to the oil for visibility. Maybe consider that and see what a black light shows up?

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
GregMartin (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hello "mate"... Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your Vette.

Since I run a L98, not sure about the X-fire intake manifold, if it uses a sealer on the two "china walls" (front & rear) I suspect the rear wall seal needs to be replaced.
First wipe as much oil away as possible, after driving it a bit inspect the rear china wall for oil. If leaking there the fix is relatively easy and inexpensive though a bit tedious.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by 65Z01; 06-21-2018 at 01:58 PM.
GregMartin (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum! I especially enjoyed seeing your Avatar! That is a perfect picture for someone who is on the other side of the world!

I also have an '84, and they are great cars! They have a few quirks of their own, being a one-year model, and the first of the C4's, so they are extra special! The oil on top of your intake manifold is puzzling. An oil leak at the back of the intake manifold is unfortunately, a fairly common problem, but a leak at that spot shouldn't create a "puddle". There is no "choke cable", unless your '84 has been converted to a carburetor. Can you post a picture of the area that has the oil spill?

One thing that you won't be able to live without is the two volume set of the Factory Service/Shop Manual (FSM). (Don't bother with the Haynes or Chilton's books) How many miles on your car? The odometer is one thing that doesn't change to metric!

GregMartin (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:31 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by hcbph
Can't help you on the CrossFire but welcome to the forum
I can say I've seen oil blow out of places where I didn't think it could on other engines so who knows. I seem to remember reading where there's a dye that can be added to the oil for visibility. Maybe consider that and see what a black light shows up?

Good luck.
Hi and thanks for your reply.
I figured that I would be able to find the leak as there was quite a bit of oil, but its looking like I might need to go down the dye and uv route.
Regards Greg
Old 06-21-2018, 06:48 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Hello "mate"... Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your Vette.

Since I run a L98, not sure about the X-fire intake manifold, if it uses a sealer on the two "china walls" (front & rear) I suspect the rear wall seal needs to be replaced.
First wipe as much oil away as possible, after driving it a bit inspect the rear china wall for oil. If leaking there the fix is relatively easy and inexpensive though a bit tedious.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks Mate (looks like you have the Aussie vernacular down pat)
I actually have a Renegade intake manifold to put on but I didn’t plan on doing that just yet. The plan is to rebuild the crossfire at some point with new heads and cam and the Renegade. I bought the Renegade now because I don’t imagine that performance parts for a crossfire will be around forever but l like the idea of keeping the crossfire arrangement. Actually I think its kind of cool.

I’ve owned a few V8s over the years and removing the valley cover was quite easy, however there’s a lot less space under a C4 bonnet so a bit tedious might be an understatement haha.

Regards Greg
Old 06-21-2018, 07:43 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Welcome to the Corvette Forum! I especially enjoyed seeing your Avatar! That is a perfect picture for someone who is on the other side of the world!

I also have an '84, and they are great cars! They have a few quirks of their own, being a one-year model, and the first of the C4's, so they are extra special! The oil on top of your intake manifold is puzzling. An oil leak at the back of the intake manifold is unfortunately, a fairly common problem, but a leak at that spot shouldn't create a "puddle". There is no "choke cable", unless your '84 has been converted to a carburetor. Can you post a picture of the area that has the oil spill?

One thing that you won't be able to live without is the two volume set of the Factory Service/Shop Manual (FSM). (Don't bother with the Haynes or Chilton's books) How many miles on your car? The odometer is one thing that doesn't change to metric!

Hi Roy
I just posted a lengthy reply and got some message to say the the posted needed moderator approval so I guess it will appear in the fullness of time.

You also asked about mileage, the odometer read 106 thousand miles but who knows.

here is a picture of the mystery cable

Old 06-21-2018, 11:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

You should see how much "fun" it is with the 3-piece L98 intake...

I'm wondering if the oil puddle behind the intake manifold might have splashed up onto the rear of the manifold with all the oil leak at the rear china wall??
Old 06-22-2018, 01:04 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

You should see how much "fun" it is with the 3-piece L98 intake.
In case that doesn't make sense, he's talking about the '85 to about '90 engines. The '82 and '84 Corvette CFI engines are "L83".

The cable you circled is the transmission Throttle Valve (TV) cable, which controls the varying shift points, depending on the position of the throttle. Could the oil you are seeing be trans fluid? Are you seeing any other signs of leaking trans fluid? There is a seal at the bottom of this cable which should prevent trans fluid from traveling up the cable. Does your trans fluid look red or brown? (Red, I hope.)

Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

In case that doesn't make sense, he's talking about the '85 to about '90 engines. The '82 and '84 Corvette CFI engines are "L83".

The cable you circled is the transmission Throttle Valve (TV) cable, which controls the varying shift points, depending on the position of the throttle. Could the oil you are seeing be trans fluid? Are you seeing any other signs of leaking trans fluid? There is a seal at the bottom of this cable which should prevent trans fluid from traveling up the cable. Does your trans fluid look red or brown? (Red, I hope.)

Yeah I know of the L98 TPI engines, interestingly my SS commodore has an L98 as well but it is a gen IV and nothing like the 80s corvette engine.

I did some more chasing of that leak today. I’m pretty sure the oil is coming out of that TV cable. I gave it a good clean put the distributor back in and took it for a spin. Oil continued to drip out of the cable for about an hour. I have a Doug Nash 4+3 so is that Cable connected to the T10 or the overdrive unit O/D unit I assume? The oil coming out does not look like Dextron (red) so I hope it’s not connected to the O/D unit.

The previous owner told me he change the gearbox and O/D unit oil before I picked up the car. He owns a transmission shop so hopefully he knows the correct oil to use.

thanks again for your help Roy. I wonder what happened to the first reply I sent you? I guess it will show up at some point.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

You should see how much "fun" it is with the 3-piece L98 intake...

I'm wondering if the oil puddle behind the intake manifold might have splashed up onto the rear of the manifold with all the oil leak at the rear china wall??
I thought that initially and thus I pulled out the distributor and the windscreen wiper motor for a better look. They certainly pack a lot of stuff into a tight space. This is my first Corvette and I can’t believe how awkward it is to work on.

Those TPI L98s do look cool though.

Regards Greg
Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by GregMartin

Hi Roy
I just posted a lengthy reply and got some message to say the the posted needed moderator approval so I guess it will appear in the fullness of time.

You also asked about mileage, the odometer read 106 thousand miles but who knows.

here is a picture of the mystery cable

Well I still don’t know what happened to my original reply. So here is a quick summary of what I said.

Avitar: When I uploaded it I noticed it was upside down. I figured you guys would get the joke so I left it that way.
FSM: I have the GM shop manual and the elecrical trouble shooting guide are they the two you are talking about? I have always tried to get the GM shop manual for the cars I have owned. I think the old ones were a bit better though.
84 Corvettes are cool: Yep I like the crossfire set up and I also like the Doug Nash 4+3

So I’ve been looking in the FSM and I can see where the throttle valve cable connects to the O/D unit. I guess I will crawl under tomorrow and see what I can see. I am puzzled because the oil is quite clear but if I had to give it a colour I would probably say gold. I guess there are other colours of transmission fluid but I would have expected red. It is quite thin it could be transmission fluid.

On my last adventure under the car I found a plugged hose that had a small amount of red transmission fluid in it. I assumed that someone had added this hose to make it easier to fill the trany. I plugged it more effectively and secured it out of the way. I’m worried how that maybe it was a breather pipe and I have plugged it up. Incidentally the overdrive does not work currently, the light comes on but it doesn’t change gears. I figure it is the solenoid or the pressure switch because electrically it can’t be anything else. It also looks like the solenoid had two pins but one is broken off, I could be wrong because I cant find a photo of one and ther doesn’t seam to be a loose wire. Anyway that a side line.

Thanks again for your help
Regards Greg

Last edited by GregMartin; 06-22-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:17 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

They certainly pack a lot of stuff into a tight space.
Indeed; I had to use a zircon light and mirror to verify when mine was leaking.
I too really like the look of a "clean" L98, the same intake is on my '88 IROC-Z with a LB9.

Glad you got it isolated.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Indeed; I had to use a zircon light and mirror to verify when mine was leaking.
I too really like the look of a "clean" L98, the same intake is on my '88 IROC-Z with a LB9.

Glad you got it isolated.
Maybe haha
Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Welcome GregMartin.

Pictures when you have the time. We all love pictures.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 06-22-2018 at 07:39 PM.
GregMartin (06-24-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GregMartin
Avitar: When I uploaded it I noticed it was upside down. I figured you guys would get the joke so I left it that way.
FSM: I have the GM shop manual and the electrical trouble shooting guide are they the two you are talking about?
Yep, you got it right!

On my last adventure under the car I found a plugged hose that had a small amount of red transmission fluid in it. I plugged it more effectively and secured it out of the way. I’m worried how that maybe it was a breather pipe and I have plugged it up.
I'm suspecting that you've got that right, too. A plugged up breather pipe will cause the fluid to escape somewhere as the tranny warms up.

Whalepirot is a pro on the 4+3! He learned things the hard way! He even knows how to spell "colour"!

Old 06-23-2018, 09:31 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Yep, you got it right!

I'm suspecting that you've got that right, too. A plugged up breather pipe will cause the fluid to escape somewhere as the tranny warms up.

Whalepirot is a pro on the 4+3! He learned things the hard way! He even knows how to spell "colour"!
Ok Roy you get the chocolates. I crawled under the car today and chased that pipe, sure enough it was a breather. The O/D unit had a light smear of oil all over it. It was dry last time I was under the car so I guess pressure and oil has been trying to escape where ever it can.

So I unplugged the pipe and oil stopped coming out of the TV cable almost instantly. So that mystery is solved.

This car has many mysteries partly because it has been converted to right hand drive and partly because there has been 34 years of opportunity for any old hack to bastardize the wiring and plumbing.

Colour color haha. It’s a bit weird in Australia we have cultural inputs from both England and the US plus of course our home grown quirks. So we are a country that loves V8 cars and not funny little British ones. We adopted the metric system in the seventies but most people still use PSI for pressures but kilometers and Celsius. (I find that a bit annoying on the corvette dash).

Last edited by GregMartin; 06-23-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello from Australia

Old 06-23-2018, 09:39 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by whalepirot
True, Roy. A pro at breaking them and D36s!
Hi Whalepirot
i look forward to calling on you expertise some time in the future but for the time being I think I’ll leave the Doug Nash alone. The O/D looks a bit like a powerglide I use to own only it have a drain plug.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:48 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Welcome GregMartin.

Pictures when you have the time. We all love pictures.
Yep no worries I’ll take a couple of pics and post them. I warn you now she was prettier in her youth. Someone did a quality restoration on it about 25 years ago probably when it was imported and RHD converted. Most of it is there but it’s definitely a fixer-upper.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:09 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Welcome, mate! Enjoyed Sydney and outlies thrice, but only 3 days/ea.
I get it! Also liked the Xfire and 4+3.. (or did)
You know the O/D fluid is red ATF while gear oil in in the T10 side; ne'er the twain shall meet! If the colour is gold, it seems like new gear oil.
IIRC, the light coming on means the electricl control works. There may be low pressure for the actuation of the clutches, but if it is O/D fluid dumping up the cable, that's not normal at all!
You may ifnd this page and this shop helpful: 5 Speeds

I'll see if I can get a shot of the 4+3 solenoidon the unit outside my garage. (I swapped a ZF6-40 in at great expense).
Cheers Mate
Glad you liked Sydney I was born there and lived there as a kid. I’ve lived most of my life in Brisbane or BrisVegas as it is affectionately known, it about 600 miles north of Sydney. (North is warrner in Australia) the climate is similar to Miami. I’ve been to the west coast of your beautiful country a couple of times and last year my wife an I visited NYC and loved it.

I’m very aware that the O/D unit should have Dextron and hypoid (I guess) in the super T10. This oil colour is a puzzle to me. The guy I bought the car off owns a transmission business and he told me he changes the oil in both boxes. He was well aware that the O/D unit was effectively an auto so I can’t imagine that he would have put the wrong oil in it. Although it is not red it is quite thin like transmission fluid. He also told me that he never had the overdrive working so it could have been broken for years.

Last edited by GregMartin; 06-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello from Australia