C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts
Default Muffler mod

Bought a Borla Stinger axleback that will be going on soon. Need to decide what to do with my stock mufflers. Hate to just toss them, but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them. from a 2012 base coupe (non-NPP). Was thinking about doing the muffler mod on them, do you think they would be more sellable then? Have a mig welder to do the job, so it wouldn't cost anything but my time. What would the modified mufflers possibly be worth?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
Bought a Borla Stinger axleback that will be going on soon. Need to decide what to do with my stock mufflers. Hate to just toss them, but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them. from a 2012 base coupe (non-NPP). Was thinking about doing the muffler mod on them, do you think they would be more sellable then? Have a mig welder to do the job, so it wouldn't cost anything but my time. What would the modified mufflers possibly be worth?
As you said, not a big market for them but if you start cutting on them they will probably be worthless....IMO.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I vote is to keep it. Here is why.

When I first put an aftermarket muffler on my 2005 it sounded good. It was because (1) my car was completely stock and (2) the stock muffler was so quiet. After a while and more mods (cam/headers/high flow cats/tune) the volume grew and the drone went completely insane. To the point where it was close to impossible to have a normal conversation in the car without yelling. I liked the volume but did not enjoy the drone. I ended up putting the stock mufflers back on and was shocked how quiet it was again.
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Would recommend keeping them, and keeping them stock for two reasons, 1) In case down the road you decide to sell, you can return it to stock to facilitate the sale or even trade in. 2) Like Homer3D suggested about future mods making things too noisy and you may want it quieter.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:19 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If you have the room to store them, I might just hold on to them. Don't do the muffler mod. Some people get the after market exhaust and then are not happy with the drone that you get with a lot of the aftermarket systems and then want o go back to stock. Who knows you may even want to change back at sometime.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:05 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Makes sense. Thanks. Looks like I’ll just put them down the basement.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Buy you the stock NPP the valves stay open all the time and good sound. He He
Old 06-23-2018, 12:18 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I vote is to keep it. Here is why.

When I first put an aftermarket muffler on my 2005 it sounded good. It was because (1) my car was completely stock and (2) the stock muffler was so quiet. After a while and more mods (cam/headers/high flow cats/tune) the volume grew and the drone went completely insane. To the point where it was close to impossible to have a normal conversation in the car without yelling. I liked the volume but did not enjoy the drone. I ended up putting the stock mufflers back on and was shocked how quiet it was again.
Had the Borla Stinger on for one month. The drone was horrible. Better keep the stock mufflers as least for now anddon't modify them.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:23 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Makes sense. Thanks. Looks like I’ll just put them down the basement.
The stock mufflers are pretty darn worthless. I have three sets in the basement that testify to this.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:05 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I have the old style Borla Stingers on my 2008 with headers and cam and they are very loud in lower gears but freeway speeds from 75 to 100 mph they DO Not drone,..Borla does not make the Stringers anymore from what i see on their website.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

The stingers where king of a strange one, since GM was selling them as OEM swaps for a while to replace the stock muffler, and it was a hit and miss if they did drone or not.

The new borla muffler (after the stinger models) don't have drone, so current Borla and the Corsa muffler at your best bet for a drone free system.

So as stated, keep your old mufflers/take the time to drop the X pipe so you can keep the pipes on them (instead of cutting them off off so you don't have to drop the X pipe to get the mufflers out), since you may be swapping back to them if you run into drone problems with the stingers.
Note, there where cheap asian copies of the Borla stingers as well, and the droned!!!!!

Last edited by Dano523; 06-23-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
The stingers where king of a strange one, since GM was selling them as OEM swaps for a while to replace the stock muffler, and it was a hit and miss if they did drone or not.

The new borla muffler (after the stinger models) don't have drone, so current Borla and the Corsa muffler at your best bet for a drone free system.

So as stated, keep your old mufflers/take the time to drop the X pipe so you can keep the pipes on them (instead of cutting them off off so you don't have to drop the X pipe to get the mufflers out), since you may be swapping back to them if you run into drone problems with the stingers.
Note, there where cheap asian copies of the Borla stingers as well, and the droned!!!!!
What year was GM pushing Stringers??..I had them on my 07 also and they was not from GM..
Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
What year was GM pushing Stringers??..I had them on my 07 also and they was not from GM..
Was in the first C6 years as upgraded mufflers from the dealers, before the time of the NPP systems.

Here is one of them, GM stamp and all.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nce-parts.html
Old 06-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Was in the first C6 years as upgraded mufflers from the dealers, before the time of the NPP systems.

Here is one of them, GM stamp and all.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nce-parts.html
Dano.... Those are not the original Borla Stringers not even close.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Dano.... Those are not the original Borla Stringers not even close.
Correct, since the Borla Stingers that Borla sold under their own branding look like this,.

Here is the Genuine Corvette Accessories" performance parts (Borla produced) sport stinger mufflers with round mufflers next,

While the "Genuine Corvette Accessories" performance parts "Touring" stinger muffler (Borla produced as well) that the dealer where swapping in the cars up to about 2007as a GM part as well, looked like this isntead,

In 2008, gm offed the NPP system on the base models as an factory option, and it was about the last year the GCA (Borla) stinger mufflers where offered at the dealers level as a GCA GM Part for the dealer level upgrades isntead.

As for when Borla stop making the stingers and moved to the new style mufflers (touring.sport, and atak), can't remember, but a lot of it was to solve the drone problems of the old stinger type mufflers to begin with (both the ones they sold under their own branding label, and the ones they produced for GM under the GCA GM branding instead).

Last edited by Dano523; 06-25-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Correct, since the Borla Stingers that Borla sold under their own branding look like this,.

Here is the Genuine Corvette Accessories" performance parts (Borla produced) sport stinger mufflers with round mufflers next,

While the "Genuine Corvette Accessories" performance parts "Touring" stinger muffler (Borla produced as well) that the dealer where swapping in the cars up to about 2007as a GM part as well, looked like this isntead,

In 2008, gm offed the NPP system on the base models as an factory option, and it was about the last year the GCA (Borla) stinger mufflers where offered at the dealers level as a GCA GM Part for the dealer level upgrades isntead.

As for when Borla stop making the stingers and moved to the new style mufflers (touring.sport, and atak), can't remember, but a lot of it was to solve the drone problems of the old stinger type mufflers to begin with (both the ones they sold under their own branding label, and the ones they produced for GM under the GCA GM branding instead).
Dano: photo #1 looks like the mufflers that is on my,but there is a 2.5" pipe going to each tip.Those only have one pipe then y's off to the tips.Go to Bolas website and look at part # 11766 (Classics) they are called the 'S' type now but not the same as my.I got my in 2007 and then had them put on my 2008.That part #11766 is for 2009-2013 and the 'S' for 2005-2008 are different then my also.I called Borla a couple of years ago and they made a lot of changes like going down to a 2" pipe to the tips instead of 2.5" pipe like my.....Like I said my are loud with headers ,cam and tune but no DRONE after 3rd gear.I've had hundreds of compliments on the sound of my vette.The High pitch Corsa sound hurts my ear drums....
Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

The second exhaust picture looks like the one GHL use to make.

You can see them here. http://www.rpicarparts.com/Corvette-...st_p_3243.html

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler mod

Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Ready to go on tomorrow
Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Ready to go on tomorrow
Those are the 'S' style classics...Let me know how they sound...Thanks......
Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Someone out there wants to buy ‘em. No harm in trying to get a few bucks out of them for someone who doesn’t actually want to commit to new exhaust but wants a couple ponies.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 06-27-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Muffler mod