C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Repair

Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Repair

Hey guys, new member here.
I want to be proactive regarding my auto trans shift cable and was wondering if any of you used the bushing replacement kit from bushingfix.com and also can the trans side bushing be replaced without taking the cable off. BTW, I've got 39K miles on my car but it is an 05 C6 so I'm kinda worried due to the age of the bushing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 808_Vette
Hey guys, new member here.
I want to be proactive regarding my auto trans shift cable and was wondering if any of you used the bushing replacement kit from bushingfix.com and also can the trans side bushing be replaced without taking the cable off. BTW, I've got 39K miles on my car but it is an 05 C6 so I'm kinda worried due to the age of the bushing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Can't specifically answer your questions but can tell you this. The subject (shift cable, stuck in park,etc)has been discussed many times here. Do a forum search and you will see lots of info that should help you out. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Thanks for your response. I did search the forums and the ones that I saw discussed the Dorman bushing kit and not the Bushingfix.com one and I didn't see any that addressed replacing the trans side while leaving it in. Sorry if I missed it.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Havevthe whole assembly replaced....It's really a tough job. I had the dealer do it. And the tech was a veteran...he had a hard time....

Last edited by Biggie G; 06-24-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:41 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Biggie G
Havevthe whole assembly replaced....It's really a tough job. I had the dealer do it. And the tech was a veteran...he had a hard time....
Thanks for your advice. If I had a lift I would do it myself but with race ramps and a floor jack I know its going to be a PITA. The dealer quoted me $500 to do it and it might be money well spent. I just hope they don't have the new guy do the job.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:21 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for your advice. If I had a lift I would do it myself but with race ramps and a floor jack I know its going to be a PITA. The dealer quoted me $500 to do it and it might be money well spent. I just hope they don't have the new guy do the job.
I replaced the shift cable on my 05 without a lift. Time consuming, but not hard to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by RICH 28:
808_Vette (06-24-2018), Nutzz (09-27-2020)
Old 06-24-2018, 03:23 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't know the price of the bushing kit, but I spent a little more and bought a new GM complete cable assembly when mine failed. I do not have a shop lift, but 4 jack stands is what I normally use to perform any work under the car. A flat shop floor, blanket to lay on, radio, fan and a little time to study the job (take a nap). It was about $50 for the cable and I took my time replacing the cable. It was not a hard job and can be completed with normal hand tools. I knew the failure of the shift cable was a potential issue, but I waited until it failed at the worst possible time and place. I pulled the shifter with the few hand tools that I carry in the car and shifted the transmission into drive by hand just to get the car home. The car was in a parking garage when the cable failed so getting a tow truck up to the 5th floor at midnight was not a good option.
The following users liked this post:
Nutzz (09-27-2020)
Old 06-24-2018, 03:23 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 690 Posts

I have replaced both ends on two different occasions. The trans end can be replaced with the cable intact...it is just a tight fit getting to it with the exhaust pipe right there.

There are two parts store packs....Dorman 14041 or 14055. I have used both. Think one is nylon and one polyurethane. Not sure if one is better than the other.

I used a bushing from the 14055 pack for the trans end. It snapped in ok but sure seems loose. Get nervous that I will be stranded somewhere if it pops out.

I think what makes replacing the entire cable difficult is that it has to be snaked through the torque tube....not a simple task.

Last edited by C6ToGo; 06-24-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:34 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by hydrasport
I don't know the price of the bushing kit, but I spent a little more and bought a new GM complete cable assembly when mine failed. I do not have a shop lift, but 4 jack stands is what I normally use to perform any work under the car. A flat shop floor, blanket to lay on, radio, fan and a little time to study the job (take a nap). It was about $50 for the cable and I took my time replacing the cable. It was not a hard job and can be completed with normal hand tools. I knew the failure of the shift cable was a potential issue, but I waited until it failed at the worst possible time and place. I pulled the shifter with the few hand tools that I carry in the car and shifted the transmission into drive by hand just to get the car home. The car was in a parking garage when the cable failed so getting a tow truck up to the 5th floor at midnight was not a good option.
That's my nightmare. From what I've read it doesn't seem to be too difficult for the most part but the adjustment of the cable worries me. Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 PM
808_Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
I have replaced both ends on two different occasions. The trans end can be replaced with the cable intact...it is just a tight fit getting to it with the exhaust pipe right there.

There are two parts store packs....Dorman 14041 or 14055. I have used both. Think one is nylon and one polyurethane. Not sure if one is better than the other.

I used a bushing from the 14055 pack for the trans end. It snapped in ok but sure seems loose. Get nervous that I will be stranded somewhere if it pops out.

I think what makes replacing the entire cable difficult is that it has to be snaked through the torque tube....not a simple task.
From what I've seen the bushingfix.com one looks to be superior to the Dorman and it includes a installation tool. Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo

Use a small piece of rope tied to one end of the old cable when you pull it out of the torque tube. It will help with the installation of the new cable and make it a one person job.
The following users liked this post:
808_Vette (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:32 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes you can just replace the bushings if they fail. There is a kit at Autozone that has it. Can be a bit difficult to pop in, but doable with pliers. I first replaced the whole cable on my Vette, but I just replaced the bushings on my fathers Vette. If you want to change the cable, you can do it without too much trouble. Just make a tape rope and have a friend pull the new cable up through the car. Takes a bit of maneuvering, but it can be done and only took us about an hour or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteofSD:
808_Vette (06-24-2018), Yokesc5 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 07:07 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default shift cable

Originally Posted by 808_Vette;1597 2
I paid a dealer here in Florida $330.00 to replace it on my .08 with 32000 miles,
Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I called around for the labor cost...lowest here in Chicago was $240. I brought the part online.

dont try it if you've never have...its a hot mess down there
Old 06-24-2018, 08:43 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggie G
Idont try it if you've never have...its a hot mess down there
I've done repairs on my cars that I have never done before......and saved tens of thousands of dollars in the process. Don't be shy.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 AM
808_Vette
Racer

Hey guys,
Just thought that I'd do an update. Removed my shifter on Saturday to inspect the bushing and when I disconnected the cable the bushing was brittle and came out in pieces. I guess I caught it just in time. I'm going to replace the trans side this weekend. Thanks to all for your input!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Hey guys,
Just thought that I'd do an update. Removed my shifter on Saturday to inspect the bushing and when I disconnected the cable the bushing was brittle and came out in pieces. I guess I caught it just in time. I'm going to replace the trans side this weekend. Thanks to all for your input!
There are only two types of A4 & A6 corvette trannies. Those that have experienced cable bushing failures and those that are going to!!! Time and temperature makes those plastic bushings brittle and they will eventually split. With an 05, you were definitely on borrowed time.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Repair

Old 07-11-2018, 03:28 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrasport
Use a small piece of rope tied to one end of the old cable when you pull it out of the torque tube. It will help with the installation of the new cable and make it a one person job.
I was thinking that would be I good thing to do!! I think I may tackle that job this comming winter. I guess this cable snakes around the torque tube and thru the air gap to the trans...it's pretty bad that GM used a plastic bushing on a part that gets used EVERYTIME you drive the car!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM
bacord
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey guys,
Sorry I meaning to post this earlier, but maybe help someone in the future. About the 3rd video down is about replacing the bushings and a few other good videos https://www.corvettepartscenter.com/pages/videos
Old 07-11-2018, 07:02 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,077 Likes on 631 Posts

I just had mine replaced last weekend at the dealer after 2 bushing failures in 6 months.The second time was due to an incorrectly installed bushing. The cable was 50.00 and the install along with a transmission service, fluid, filter etc the bill was 577.00 and both jobs took the tech 3 hours. If you use the dorman kit, use the bushing with the number embossed on it. (theres only one)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Repair