Southern California Southern California

Need Help from OC Corvette experts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 PM
tensforme
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help from OC Corvette experts!

First of all, I'm new to the Forum. I appreciate all the great information here of which I've only just begun to scratch the surface. My name's Charlie and my situation is I'm having a mid-life crisis (ok, just kidding..well, sort of!) and I'm looking for a cooler and much "sportier" car than I have which is a 2004 Maxima; a very reliable car but certainly not Corvette cool. I've never owned a Corvette before. From all my "research" I've concluded that a C5 or C6 with low miles makes sense and is within my budget. I've located one here in Orange County but I need a Corvette expert to check it out and "inspect" it for any major issues. I actually saw it and drove in it today and will likely buy it once I know what I've got. Private seller, seems honest but the car has been in a time warp for 10 years as the original owner died in 2008 (it's a 2003) and the widow had it garaged and never drove it. That's the story anyway and it makes sense with such low miles. Anyway I don't want to do anything until I have someone inspect it. The passenger side window doesn't work for example. I've read this is a common problem..How much to fix? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 AM
tensforme
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Rick.. calling Rick! You're smart to ask and listen. I think the C5 is the most practical Vette choice.

Follow your gut and look for super clean; what I do with any used car purchase.

Any drips under it? Overspray, indicating damage, maybe extensive. Fluid levels, color and odor? Maintenance records?

Are the tires too old (learn and read codes)?

Check the C5 forum for code pulling procedure, then print it and check the car for any codes. Clear them, trhen drive it, looking for any codes that may return. Some arise from a low battery charge, but look very serious. They may not return after clearing if not 'real'. .

There are some electrical things that arise, all quite well addressed in the C5 forum. Many can be reset easily, which may include the window, or it may be a mechanical issue. The newer ANY car, the more tech built in which in my experience across a range of brands, does not age well. This includes any of the German cars, Subaru and surely any GM car. Alsol, the newer they are, the more likely thye will require specialized e-gear to fully analyze and fix. Being relatively generic, Vettes are Chevy and such e-gear is less costly and may not even be needed, for example to 'pull' codes.

Decide if the seller boasts about how fast the car is, etc. I bought a totally stock used C5 for that reason. Older guys may be easier on a high performance car and have more disposable income to keep it A1.

You didn't mention the mileage.

Essential: after your purchase, join the Blockheads.in Orange, Sunday morning, as posted in these threads.
Thank you! The 2003 C5 coupe was not "super clean" even with very low miles (14,000). AND I think I was too hasty--this was the first car I've looked at. The color is Speedway White which is "okay" but it doesn't grab me. The problems with this car are: 1) No service records 2) original tires (16 yrs old!), 3) faulty passenger window 4) faulty head light motor 5)needs flush of everything. My wife, who had a '69 Corvette as a teenager, thinks it has more electrical issues going on and isn't clean enough for being such low mileage. I agree. Even if it were all clean the Speedway WHITE exterior still doesn't do it for me.Don't care how rare it is!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:24 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Hello OP,

Nothing wrong with waiting till you find that perfect Vette for you.

Lots of C5's out there with no to little service records, just how it goes as the car ages. With that said I personally keep all my records as im sure anyone who cares does.
Tires need to be replaced every 6 years so those are up for sure. Passenger window not working is more than likely either the switch or the motor both of which do occur on the C5 as it ages.
The factory headlight uses plastic gears and they strip themselves out over time. A rebuild kit or a new headlight motor would fix that issue. I personally flush every fluid on every vehicle purchase and always recommend others do the same. Always a good thing to have fresh fluids (especially if you dont know when last changed).

We offer Pre purchase inspections and post purchase inspections just FYI.

310-326-2399
https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-03-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Those problems sound fairly minor, and easy to rectify as Kohle (AHP) suggested. If the car isn't stored on a tender, or doesn't have a fully charged battery (happens with stored cars), little electrical gremlins tend to pop up...usually remedied with a new battery.

Look for a C5 Z06, or a C6 Z51 if the budget permits.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

From my used car buying experience, (mostly with 15 year old+ cars) I've learned there's always more wrong with a car than meets the eye, even with a fairly thorough inspection. There's always that mechanical/electrical part that's ready to fail right after you drive the car away from its former owner. That's the risk one takes buying a used car without any warranty/guarantee. The goal is to find a car that's been regularly maintained, appears well maintained, and has an honest & open owner/seller.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help from OC Corvette experts!

Quick Reply: Need Help from OC Corvette experts!