C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood HU

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Kenwood HU

2010 GS with factory radio and no navigation. I知 going to replace the unit with a Kenwood DMX7705S. I知 looking for advice on a cube backup camera and a round front camera to install in the OEM Grill. What have you used that you would recommend? Also Crutchfield says no way to keep the display for volume or channel change in the HUD. Does anyone know if it痴 possible. I would like to add XM module and use the factory antenna. Crutchfield also says that no antenna adapter to connect the XM module to the factory antenna is available. Does this sound correct?
Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 PM
silverbullet132
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMOS-04 is the interface module you need, and as far as I know there is no adapter to go to the factory XM
Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Crutchfield is exactly right on all of your questions. You’ll loose the hud features and need to use the XM antenna that is designed for the radio. I have a similar KENWOOD and love it. You’ll probably get better reception with the KENWOOD xm antenna than the oem anyway.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:19 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

I did a Kenwood DNX893S in my '13 GS I used the Kenwood rear camera and got everything from Crutchfield. They are spot on in both customer service and support. I also used the xm module which I replaced in the drivers side rear panel. I removed the old antennae and placed the new one in the same location. I added a front camera that I purchased from amazon because of size and flexibility of the mount.. I fabricated a abs cube mount to install in one of the square openings in my GS grille so it is not noticeable. if you do the front camera there are several you tube videos on how to run into the car effortlessly routing along inner fender, under the windshield corner and into the cabin without drilling. worked great and no chance of damage to vehicle. Good luck I will post a couple pics soon.
The following users liked this post:
Robbo (07-06-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:39 AM
ontime
Racer

obviously the front i made the abs cube to fit the squares in the grill. the camera allowed removal of the mount so i didnt have to drill any thing. i used automotive attachment tape after i calculated the size needed for the cube with tape. i just placed it through the hole with the tape and its liner in place focused the angle and just pulled the liner off the tape through the front. a gentle squeeze held it in place and no holes.

routed the front camera wire through here

Rear Kenwood camera

I fabbed a ABS disc and mounted it in the bezel the microphone for onstar that i dont use was and mounted the mic for the phone

completed install
The following 3 users liked this post by ontime:
Jgreg0912 (07-01-2018), NBVette_Canada (04-24-2019), Robbo (07-06-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:52 AM
3rdlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the Kenwood DDX9904s in my 2012. All of the above advice is accurate, including the recommendation of Crutchfield. I bought the new XM module to connect to my HU and I regret doing so. The sound quality of my new Kenwood is so good it exposes the lower quality of the XM. I will cancel XM before my free 90 days runs out. HD radio, Spotify, Pandora, are all noticeably more sharp. XM was once a bonus on a car but now it only has a perceived value for music. Technology has passed it by. If you are a huge sports fan or talk radio junkie then it is certainly up to that task. For about $50 up front for the hardware and a few bucks a month it is not a big deal, but not something I will be using. Love my Kenwood choice and I am sure your HU is going to be just as good. I considered that unit too.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:23 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

To the OP, consider the Kenwood DDX9904s for $500 on sale at Crutchfield.com. The DDX9905s is out, so they have the 9904s at a good price while supplies last.

Also, some inaccurate info in the thread. You can re-use the factory antenna for your new Sirius/XM tuner. You need to buy a 10ft Sirius/Xm antenna extension, available on Amazon for $12 and run it to the rear drivers side wheel well area. Here is an install thread with directions for your entire install including re-using the XM antenna.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Link for 10ft antenna extension:
https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Radio-Antenna-Extension-Cable/dp/B00DMFAOA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530461728&sr=8-1&keywords=10ft+sirius+antenna&dpID=41%252BKL8qANyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Radio-Antenna-Extension-Cable/dp/B00DMFAOA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530461728&sr=8-1&keywords=10ft+sirius+antenna&dpID=41%252BKL8qANyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Just my opinion, but I ended up cancelling my XM subscription in my vette because the reception was just not acceptable with my aftermarket Pioneer no matter what antenna I used.

Also, I recommend the Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring interface.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 07-01-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Jgreg0912 (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Originally Posted by ontime
I did a Kenwood DNX893S in my '13 GS I used the Kenwood rear camera and got everything from Crutchfield. They are spot on in both customer service and support. I also used the xm module which I replaced in the drivers side rear panel. I removed the old antennae and placed the new one in the same location. I added a front camera that I purchased from amazon because of size and flexibility of the mount.. I fabricated a abs cube mount to install in one of the square openings in my GS grille so it is not noticeable. if you do the front camera there are several you tube videos on how to run into the car effortlessly routing along inner fender, under the windshield corner and into the cabin without drilling. worked great and no chance of damage to vehicle. Good luck I will post a couple pics soon.
Really enjoyed reading your post and looking at the pics. Looks like a very clean and professional install. Do you mind telling me the brand and model numbers of the cameras you used and are you pleased with them? Did you use a 3-D Printer to make the cube for the front camera and the bezel for the mic?
Thanks again

Last edited by Jgreg0912; 07-01-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
To the OP, consider the Kenwood DDX9904s for $500 on sale at Crutchfield.com. The DDX9905s is out, so they have the 9904s at a good price while supplies last.

Also, some inaccurate info in the thread. You can re-use the factory antenna for your new Sirius/XM tuner. You need to buy a 10ft Sirius/Xm antenna extension, available on Amazon for $12 and run it to the rear drivers side wheel well area. Here is an install thread with directions for your entire install including re-using the XM antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Radio-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Just my opinion, but I ended up cancelling my XM subscription in my vette because the reception was just not acceptable with my aftermarket Pioneer no matter what antenna I used.

The RP5-GM11 is what Crutchfield recommended also. I looked at the DDS-9904s so I may reconsider that option again.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 05:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jgreg0912

I looked at the DDS-9904s so I may reconsider that option again.
Thanks
Capacitive touch screen!
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 PM
ontime
Racer

Really enjoyed reading your post and looking at the pics. Looks like a very clean and professional install. Do you mind telling me the brand and model numbers of the cameras you used and are you pleased with them? Did you use a 3-D Printer to make the cube for the front camera and the bezel for the mic?
Thanks again
I used the Kenwood CMOS230 for the rear camera and a Yanees YZ208-A for the front as it had good reviews on amazon and I only wanted something to make sure I could watch what I was about to hit when parking. The 20 dollar camera is waterproof and the quality surprised me and has very clean color image.it also allowed me to discard the mounting bracket something others didn't let you do. As far as fabricating my ABS parts it was far quicker to fab from sheet material with the machinery I have in my home shop and save the 3D printing for the difficult items. Too slow and costly for something this simple to me, besides if I have to scrap an item I made by hand I usually turn it into something else. Torchred fred gave you some good advice also and I used the extensions and items he described. I also cut two small notches in the underside of my console housing so I could run both the usb cables under the center armrest compartment. I had a stereo shop check it out when they had a car show at their facility and they said it was very clean and they asked me about some of the parts I fabricated and how I managed to route certain cables. Good luck with your install take your time and if you need any advice ask as there are so many talented people on this forum. When taking on any project have a plan and be prepared to deviate from it.
TorchRedFred (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:04 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Radio-...70_&dpSrc=srch

I got the 9905S. Its awesome.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:46 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spy2520
I got the 9905S. Its awesome.
I have seen some reviews on it, and they say the screen and graphics are awesome. Nice improvement over last years already good 9904s.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Just watched an YouTube video on the 9905s and am very impressed and confused. I知 trying to justify the difference in cost to the 9905s and 7705s. I知 still strongly considering the 7705s. The main reason I知 updating the HU is for the Apple car play and front and rear cameras. At my age the sound of the OEM radio is fine. What I know for sure is I will be purchasing from Crutchfield.

Has anyone used this and replaced the cigar lighter in the console?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

I have seen some reviews on it, and they say the screen and graphics are awesome. Nice improvement over last years already good 9904s.
I purchased the 9905s this morning from Crutchfield.
Thanks for everyone痴 help.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

So that means you paid $200 more for it than you should have. Can get them all over E-Bay for $709-$729. You paid $899.00 at Crutchfield.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
So that means you paid $200 more for it than you should have. Can get them all over E-Bay for $709-$729. You paid $899.00 at Crutchfield.
I致e never regretted buying from Crutchfield. Their customer support is second to none. Since I will be doing a self install I felt it was worth the extra if I had a problem and needed support. Believe me I would have liked saving the extra money. At the end of the day I don稚 think I値l regret buying from Crutchfield.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood HU

Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Awesome! You splurged, but great choice. Yes you can find it cheaper elsewhere if you are willing to take a chance. I got my head unit from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, but Crutchfield.com is an authorized dealer and their customer service and return policy are second to no one. So I can't knock you for that.
Jgreg0912 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Awesome! You splurged, but great choice. Yes you can find it cheaper elsewhere if you are willing to take a chance. I got my head unit from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, but Crutchfield.com is an authorized dealer and their customer service and return policy are second to no one. So I can't knock you for that.
What chance? All the reputable big audio sellers on e-bay are no different than Crutchfield. I just bought a Kenwood dnx 574s for my daily driver and I didn't like a certain thing on it. I emailed the seller, he sent me a return label and I had another new one in two days, no questions asked. And it turned out the thing I didn't like was my fault not the Kenwood's.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Secondly all you have to do is buy one piece of your install from Crutchfield, like the face plate and you still get the customer support as if you bought the radio from them.

Quick Reply: Kenwood HU