Sponsored by:

BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Hey guys, I'm not really a street racer, or any type of racer for that matter...LOL! But the other day while cruising in my 2017 GS (all stock, no mods) on a deserted stretch of asphalt a kid in a BMW M3 kept badgering me to run him. I usually ignore these people, but I was curious. I let him punch it first, then I floored my A8 and held on! In a few seconds his lead was gone and the GS was pulling away easily. We get to the next light and the kid says, "OMG that things an animal, is that a Z06?" Told him no, Grandsport, if I was in my Z06 it would have been even more embarrassing (I do have a Z also). I then told him he should have bought American. He acknowledged and said, "That things gorgeous! I'm getting one of those." I think I converted him...LOL! Why does Car & Driver make such a big deal over the M series? Because I'm not seeing it, and it sounded like **** too. It was definitely a new model, not an older one. And from what I understand, it's not a cheap car to buy and the service charges are outrageous. My stepdaughter has a regular 3 series and all it does is break down.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (07-11-2018)

Popular Reply

07-09-2018, 12:07 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
You can sum it up with one word, "Panache". People buy them because they think since they cost a lot they must be better. It's true with all the European brands. Not that they aren't good cars, it's a status thing.
That's not true. Corvettes have come a long way, but it's by no means anywhere near the overall ownership experience of European luxury counterparts. The material, fit and finish, switch gears, soft touch plastic, just about everything else that does not involve the actual straight-line performance on a BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes are far superior. Just look at how much the "mode" select dial wobbles in place vs. how much BMW's iDrive dial wobbles and you'll know what I mean.

Another example, my 12 year old MZ4 Coupe rattles and creaks LESS than my new Corvette Grand Sport. None of the factory panels vibrate when I drive it. The gaps are consistent across all panels, the fit and finish superb with minimal orange peel. Taken as a whole package, without strict consideration of performance, the BMW IS a better car, period. The dealership experience, buying, servicing, etc...Are all far superior than Chevy. And in the BMW you WILL be visiting the dealership quite a bit, so on that front it IS important to have a good dealership experience IMO.

You can try and justify it by sheer performance alone. I did. That's why there's a C7 Grand Sport in my garage rather than a new BMW M2 or M4. It's a far better value to performance proposition than anything BMW or Porsche makes. But IF I were to have sprung for a Porsche instead of the C7 Grand Sport, it wouldn't have been just for "panache" as you put it. A Porsche GTx or any of their "R" cars are truly special and fantastic all around cars. Even their base "S" models are superb. Sure, better "fit and finish" isn't going to win any races. But it sure as heck makes for a better all around experience.

Like I said, different strokes. I now have a car that I can take to the track that wraps me and surrounds me in comfort with built quality, and now I also have a car that I can take to the track that basically DESTROYS 99% of the other cars on track. They serve different purposes.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:05 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I've never understood the facination with European cars. None of them measure up when the totality of ownership circumstances are considered.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:18 PM
DirtyRebel
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I crossed shopped a base C7 and M3. Unless you just want a BMW as a status symbol, you'll pick the C7. Just better in every aspect.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:18 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

I have an MZ4 Coupe in my garage. Unless you own one you won’t understand. BMW Ms were never about straight line speed, but the WHOLE package. They were the real deal, imo, and worth every penny paid.

Just as I never understood why people buy Corvettes, I do now. My 2017 GS M7 is a fantastic car, I certainly wouldn’t trade it for a new M3 or M4 because I already have a BMW M in the garage.

Different strokes. Imagine a 4 seater Corvette that is more comfortable and more luxurious (in some regards) that can hang and sometimes beat the Corvette on track, and you’ll have an idea WHY they cost so much.
The following 4 users liked this post by The HACK:
4thC4at60 (07-10-2018), flynbulldog (07-12-2018), nist7 (07-13-2018), Soonere39 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I got rid of a 16 M3 for my 17 Z06. I'm assuming he was driving a stick as the DCT would have been a bit closer. However with only 425 HP you would have still pulled it up top. They are awesome cars and do mod easily though. They make a far better daily driver for a family guy than a Corvette as well.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

You can sum it up with one word, "Panache". People buy them because they think since they cost a lot they must be better. It's true with all the European brands. Not that they aren't good cars, it's a status thing.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I also own a bmw, 335i highly modified to 575whp on e85. Full suspension upgrades to M spec and better on coil overs. Car is a beast and handles great. I gave it to my son when I bought the vette back in 2015. It was a great car when I had to have room for 3 people in my car. I cross shopped m4’s when I was looking to buy and ultimately went with the vette.BMW service is a nightmare it you plan any modifications! Though I will say that they mod very easily with just a tune & their DCT is very good.

65fastback (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

BMW service is free the first 4 years.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default Hmm?

Ever see a guy walk across a crowded Safeway parking lot to ask about a BMW 3? Me neither. Ever have a guy walk across a crowded Safeway parking lot to ask about your Corvette? Me too.

The following 4 users liked this post by papillion:
Carvin (07-11-2018), cspnboy (07-19-2018), JamieJT (07-13-2018), JCSRT8 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Plenty of love to go around for both cars. I always liked BMW's, and Corvettes. Doesn't have to be one or the other. Not likely to have someone post on the Corvette forum that they got beat by a BMW, or vise versa on a BMW forum. The new 2019 M5 (big car) 0-60 2.85 seconds (C&D test). Yet one was destroyed in a street race against a base C7 (as was posted on this forum). M3 (inline 6 cylinder motor) is 0-60 3.9 sec(BMW numbers) (C&D tested at 4.0 sec) or (3.8 sec w/ the Comp track pack).

C&D review excerpt:
The M3’s most impressive feats were hustling to 160 mph in 26.1 seconds and beating the aforementioned Vette to 150 mph by two seconds.

Everything is relative and both have their place. Someone wanting Vette like performance w/ kids or a need for 4 doors has the M3 as an option.
65fastback (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
That's not true. Corvettes have come a long way, but it's by no means anywhere near the overall ownership experience of European luxury counterparts. The material, fit and finish, switch gears, soft touch plastic, just about everything else that does not involve the actual straight-line performance on a BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes are far superior. Just look at how much the "mode" select dial wobbles in place vs. how much BMW's iDrive dial wobbles and you'll know what I mean.

Another example, my 12 year old MZ4 Coupe rattles and creaks LESS than my new Corvette Grand Sport. None of the factory panels vibrate when I drive it. The gaps are consistent across all panels, the fit and finish superb with minimal orange peel. Taken as a whole package, without strict consideration of performance, the BMW IS a better car, period. The dealership experience, buying, servicing, etc...Are all far superior than Chevy. And in the BMW you WILL be visiting the dealership quite a bit, so on that front it IS important to have a good dealership experience IMO.

You can try and justify it by sheer performance alone. I did. That's why there's a C7 Grand Sport in my garage rather than a new BMW M2 or M4. It's a far better value to performance proposition than anything BMW or Porsche makes. But IF I were to have sprung for a Porsche instead of the C7 Grand Sport, it wouldn't have been just for "panache" as you put it. A Porsche GTx or any of their "R" cars are truly special and fantastic all around cars. Even their base "S" models are superb. Sure, better "fit and finish" isn't going to win any races. But it sure as heck makes for a better all around experience.

Like I said, different strokes. I now have a car that I can take to the track that wraps me and surrounds me in comfort with built quality, and now I also have a car that I can take to the track that basically DESTROYS 99% of the other cars on track. They serve different purposes.
The following 9 users liked this post by The HACK:
65fastback (07-09-2018), ashmostro (07-09-2018), Bavaria (07-12-2018), cowboy casey (07-11-2018), fatsport (07-10-2018), nist7 (07-13-2018), Satriani (07-11-2018), ShelJW (07-10-2018), SRQStingray (07-09-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:19 PM
ashmostro
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Having owned a F80 M3 which I sold to get my grandsport, I can say that the newest generation of M3 is a beast. It's faster in a straight line than my C7 but it can't hold a candle to it in the turns. It's heavier and the suspension up front, being strut, just doesn't have the sophistication that the dual A-arm configuration of the C7 enjoys. On the other hand, the M3 is a great do-it-all car that almost nothing comes close to competing against as a holistic package.

Funny thing is, that's why I sold it. I wanted something that was less of a compromise on the track, and was willing to accept more of a compromise on the street as I picked up a Golf R for daily duties. If you can only afford a single vehicle and need it to be able to haul people, there's not much better than the F80 out there, including the Giulia.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Rideout
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not real familiar with the beemers but I also ran what I guess was an m3 or m4 on the street from a red light and I had to give my '15 z51 everything she had to stay in front. We didn't stay in very long but I was surprised how close he was to me..... But I did win
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
ashmostro
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Any C7 will burn a prior-gen e9x M3 stock for stock.

The latest gen F8x is where the twin turbo and massive torque from near idle gives the LT1 a run for its money.

Mine was slightly modded and was MUCH faster holeshot than my GS, but he corner speed I can carry now negates that advantage on most tracks.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I drove a 2014 M3 on the track. It was very impressive for what it was (a 4 seater, luxury sports coupe).

It's so well balanced, steering ratio is perfect, etc. The car is really a dream to drive.
Dane@LGmotorsports (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Every car forum has their group of people that ONLY want to hear good things about their car and will immediately trash other who speak of other brands in a positive way.... it used to not bother me but these days it kinda does.

My last car was a 2013 E92 M3 an awesome car!.... and anyone who wants to rip on them likely knows little to nothing about them. Ignorance is bliss i hear.

SO many great cars out there these days....I prefer to experience as many as i can before i go.

PEACE!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I had several BMWs over the years and I swore them off-always an issue popping up in the car. No way would I ever own a BMW out of warranty. My C7 is currently out of warranty and has been problem free so far (knock on wood)
roadbike56 (07-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport

Old 07-09-2018, 03:05 PM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
Hey guys, I'm not really a street racer, or any type of racer for that matter...LOL! But the other day while cruising in my 2017 GS (all stock, no mods) on a deserted stretch of asphalt a kid in a BMW M3 kept badgering me to run him. I usually ignore these people, but I was curious. I let him punch it first, then I floored my A8 and held on! In a few seconds his lead was gone and the GS was pulling away easily. We get to the next light and the kid says, "OMG that things an animal, is that a Z06?" Told him no, Grandsport, if I was in my Z06 it would have been even more embarrassing (I do have a Z also). I then told him he should have bought American. He acknowledged and said, "That things gorgeous! I'm getting one of those." I think I converted him...LOL! Why does Car & Driver make such a big deal over the M series? Because I'm not seeing it, and it sounded like **** too. It was definitely a new model, not an older one. And from what I understand, it's not a cheap car to buy and the service charges are outrageous. My stepdaughter has a regular 3 series and all it does is break down.
This doesn't surprise me. The M4 was my #2 car on my shopping list behine the GS. After a lot of research, I realized I had the correct car (the GS) as my #1 pick. BMW's are nice, but not quite the complete package the Corvette offers.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by bsterling9
This doesn't surprise me. The M4 was my #2 car on my shopping list behine the GS. After a lot of research, I realized I had the correct car (the GS) as my #1 pick. BMW's are nice, but not quite the complete package the Corvette offers.
Actually this is backwards. The Corvette is a great performance car. However the M cars are good performance cars and great daily drivers that are actually practical for family life. Anyone with kids should consider one as they do everything very well. They do compromise for a track car though.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 PM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Actually this is backwards. The Corvette is a great performance car. However the M cars are good performance cars and great daily drivers that are actually practical for family life. Anyone with kids should consider one as they do everything very well. They do compromise for a track car though.
It's only backwards if you define the "complete package" differently than I do. If you're looking for a practical family car, neither car strike me as a good choice. I think you're getting hung up on subjectivity.

Quick Reply: BMW M3 vs. 2017 Grand Sport