Sponsored by:

Shifter upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:13 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Shifter upgrade questions

I have a 2017 GS. I love the car, but I do feel the shifter could be a bit more precise. I also sometimes select the incorrect gear and have to look at the gear indicator to get it right. BTW I've been driving manuals for about 35 years and have raced too, so it's not inexperience. Not sure if this is the nature of the tranny, or if it would be much better with a shifter upgrade. I've read several threads on shifter upgrades and am leaning toward the Callaway. My questions are: (1) would it make a noticeable improvement selecting the right gear, and (2) is it in general a modest or a big improvement? Any detail is appreciated. No big deal to live with it as is, it's pretty decent, but if the upgrade yields a big improvement, I'll do it.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:38 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

Most C7 owners who go aftermarket shifter get the MGW Shifter. It’s a big improvement and my favorite on my car.

Here’s a quick review: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tock-****.html
The following users liked this post:
red62vette (07-10-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple
Most C7 owners who go aftermarket shifter get the MGW Shifter. It’s a big improvement and my favorite on my car.

Here’s a quick review: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tock-****.html
The first mod I did to my new ZO6 was to install the MGW shifter. The factory shifter isn't bad, but the MGW is a major improvement in precision and feel.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

MGW is the way to go. While the stock shifter isn't "bad", it sure isn't precise, and it is sometimes pretty vague going from 2nd to 3ed, and 4th to 5th. (both up and down..) IT's still not as good as a Miata or S2000, (both wonderful shifters), but it's now way better.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I find the stock shifter to be very precise. As with all shifter designs each has one is a little bit different, but once one gains enough experience with it, it becomes extremely precise, and you become intuitive with exactly where all the gates are. It's a nice short throw and smooth. I'm an extremely experienced manual driver since the 60s, owning dozens, and every time I acquire a new one, it takes a month or so for it to become 2nd nature and learn all the little nuances.

The shifter in the C7 vastly upgraded over the C6. I felt the need to install MGWs in my C6s, but feel no need to do so in the C7. I think the OE is perfect.

Of course, all the above assumes that one actually puts a decent amount of mileage on the car, and nearly daily drives it. So many C7s spend the vast majority of their time sitting in garages, not being driven.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

The MGW makes a big difference. I actually thought the stock one was decent. However unless you try the MGW you don't realize how much change it is. An inexpensive DIY mod 👍🏻
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That's not an accurate characterization of my experience. I have driven a C7 with an MGW shifter, because I was considering installing it as I did on my C6s, and I much prefer the C7 OE shifter. It's just another on the long list of personal preference differences like the Vitesse, and dozens of other things that can be done with the car.

The placebo effect is also a significant factor in these reviews. Once one has made a decision to purchase and install an aftermarket item, the odds are it's going to be a "huge improvement" in your mind.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-11-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Corgidog1 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's not an accurate characterization of my experience. I have driven a C7 with an MGW shifter, because I was considering installing it as I did on my C6s, and I much prefer the C7 OE shifter. It's just another on the long list of personal preference differences like the Vitesse, and dozens of other things that can be done with the car.

The placebo effect is also a significant factor in these reviews. Once one has made a decision to purchase and install an aftermarket item, the odds are it's going to be a "huge improvement" in your mind.
I agree it's personal preference. However one can't argue that getting rid of the stock bushings for the aftermarket ones makes a big difference in feel. I know some like the easier throw and soft feeling of the stocker. Nothing wrong with that. OP is looking for a more precise feel. Gotta go aftermarket for that.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

I got the MGW and it makes a big difference. Never looked back. Get the MGW.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
...I also sometimes select the incorrect gear and have to look at the gear indicator to get it right.
Have installed a number of "short shifters" in vehicles but I like what I added and even if I were to replace the C7 shifter (which I do not find necessary) I would use it- a cue ball size shift ****!

I'll explain why and how I seldom miss a shift because I don't use 6th!

Got my 2014 Z51 in October 2013 and my Grand Sport about a year ago to replace it. Found there was no need to use all the overdrives so seldom use 6th! A common shift for me is 4th or 5th to 7th when on the Interstate. Found the larger cue ball size shift **** was a help. It also makes the 1st to 2nd shift better IMO. The aftermarket **** sits lower on the shaft so decreases shift stroke ~11%.

Another thing I found is when leaving the Interstate and wanting to be in direct drive 4th, I let the shifter springs do that for me! Just pull back with little pressure and you're in 4th! Also use that 7th to 4th shift when I pass and 18 wheeler on the Interstate (hate to drive next to them, when I got my C7 one through a rock and chipped the windshield!) Rev match makes that a perfectly smooth transition. Of interest, which you may have discovered, It's the first standard shift I have owned (been driving only standard shifts for my DD for ~60 years) that will return to my cruise control setting automatically even though the clutch was depressed for the shift!

In our rural area and in town I typically am in 5th gear. When I make a turn, I shift directly to 3rd and again rev match makes that a perfectly smooth transition. I am quite good at heel toe when driving in anger and the lower gear will have the engine at high rpm. But modulating the throttle at lower rpm's not nearly as easy. Tried with similar low rpm shifts with my C6 Z51 all the time and would get it perfect half the time! Rev match does it perfect 100% of the time!

This is a pic/text PDF of my install with a caution about getting the old **** off: http://netwelding.com/Shift_Knob.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 07-11-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Paul R
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

The MGW shifter is such an improvement. Feels like a rifle bolt going into the gates. Looks pretty snazzy too!
JerryU (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Any issues with GM on transmission warranty because of an after market shifter?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by flying_vette
Any issues with GM on transmission warranty because of an after market shifter?
I can't imagine this. The only way a shifter will hurt the transmission is driver error. It uses the same linkage as stock. You just connect the bolt.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I've no complaints with the OE shifter in my '17.It's much better than the C5 OE version.

I don't track/drag my car, so for street use it's fine for me.

\db2
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Dcregar
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Old 07-11-2018, 11:31 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paul R
The MGW shifter is such an improvement. Feels like a rifle bolt going into the gates. Looks pretty snazzy too!
Curious, what is the advantage of the flat stick? See it's more money. Assume the other "standard" unit accepts OEM and similar ***** like my Cue Ball?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Curious, what is the advantage of the flat stick? See it's more money. Assume the other "standard" unit accepts OEM and similar ***** like my Cue Ball?
It's only for looks.
The following 2 users liked this post by saleen556:
JerryU (07-11-2018), Paul R (07-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter upgrade questions

Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Most aftermarket shifters are still just a ball on the end of a stick. My Hurst core shifter has a Hurst mechanism and you can hear a definite click when the shifter goes into each gear.... About as positive as you can get..

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 07-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Just a bit of warning, the MGW is really stiff and the gates are close together. It seems like it would be great for racing, but I didn’t want one for the street driving and cruising that I do. The factory shifter is pretty good for how I use the car. If you can find some place where you can try out the shifter.....like a big Corvette show or something....try a few out if possible.
AORoads (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Most aftermarket shifters are still just a ball on the end of a stick. My Hurst core shifter has a Hurst mechanism and you can hear a definite click when the shifter goes into each gear.... About as positive as you can get..
I just looked at the extensive multiple video's MGW has on installation. As you say the advantage is the lower beefy bearings and more rigid top assembly but their supplied ball goes in the GM socket and control rod. However my OEM sifter also clicks. The detentes and shift control are in the trans.

In fact, I found it interesting that MGW supplies a lot of high quality sound deadener and also a layer of heat insulation. Would think that would reduce sound. They also talk about the "vibration damper" on their gold base unit. Would think that could reduce some of the shifter vibration that I have with the OEM system.

Just Sayn'

Last edited by JerryU; 07-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Shifter upgrade questions