Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 info

Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM
ender2664
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C8 info

I know very few final details have been released, but I am thinking about buying a vette and don't want to be on the last year of a model. And I'll shoot myself in the head before I drive a mid engine vette.
anyway, is there an anticipated release date or even year for the C8?
I heard rumors the C8 will be sold as both mid and front engine, is that correct?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Lots of speculation for now but i don't think anyone here knows anything just yet....
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Why would you shoot yourself in the head before driving a mid engine Corvette? So if it outperforms the front engine car and is better you won't drive it? Regardless, most speculation is that the front engine C7 will continue for awhile. You likely aren't driving a last model year but you are pretty close. I am not buying another C7 as I want the C8... don't want a last gen car

Last edited by gthal; 07-11-2018 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM
ender2664
Advanced

"Why would you shoot yourself in the head before driving a mid engine Corvette?"
-For the exact same reason i won't be caught in an NSX, it goes against the whole intent of the car. Name it some thing else and I'll give it praise, call it an nsx and it is gag worthy.

"So if it outperforms the front engine car and is better you won't drive it"
-correct

GM is giving me the option to take advantage of the California lemon law on my SS 1LE and I'm thinking ZL1 or Grand sport and leaning towards Grand sport. I just don't want to get a car and 1 year later a fully redesigned version comes out.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM
ender2664
Advanced

Originally Posted by z edge
Lots of speculation for now but i don't think anyone here knows anything just yet....
thank you
Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ender2664
I know very few final details have been released, but I am thinking about buying a vette and don't want to be on the last year of a model. And I'll shoot myself in the head before I drive a mid engine vette.
anyway, is there an anticipated release date or even year for the C8?
I heard rumors the C8 will be sold as both mid and front engine, is that correct?

The search engine is your friend.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:30 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
The search engine is your friend.

I thought it was a MID engine?? Not a search engine…

Oh…… Never mind! ; )

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 07-11-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM
ender2664
Advanced

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

i thought it was a mid engine?? Not a search engine…

oh…… never mind!
lol!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

"Why would you shoot yourself in the head before driving a mid engine Corvette?"
-For the exact same reason i won't be caught in an NSX, it goes against the whole intent of the car. Name it some thing else and I'll give it praise, call it an nsx and it is gag worthy.
OK... I think I understand. In your mind, a Corvette can only ever be a FE platform because that's the intent of the car. If it's ME, it needs to be called something else because it can't be a Corvette? Maybe I'm still off on the interpretation?

I don't agree but that's what makes the world great... we can all have our own views of it. To me, the C8 is just an evolution and the intent of Corvette is nothing more than to be the 2 seat performance brand for GM. Personally, I don't believe GM is going to redesign the FE C7 after this generation. The only way I see that happening is if the ME car is a halo car and way more expensive and exclusive... with Corvette being the next best car. I just don't see that making sense in the long term. Maybe side by side production for the near term. All speculation for now anyway. We'll see.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 AM
ender2664
Advanced

Originally Posted by gthal
OK... I think I understand. In your mind, a Corvette can only ever be a FE platform because that's the intent of the car. If it's ME, it needs to be called something else because it can't be a Corvette? Maybe I'm still off on the interpretation?

I don't agree but that's what makes the world great... we can all have our own views of it. To me, the C8 is just an evolution and the intent of Corvette is nothing more than to be the 2 seat performance brand for GM. Personally, I don't believe GM is going to redesign the FE C7 after this generation. The only way I see that happening is if the ME car is a halo car and way more expensive and exclusive... with Corvette being the next best car. I just don't see that making sense in the long term. Maybe side by side production for the near term. All speculation for now anyway. We'll see.
In simple terms the nsx was meant to be a purist super car that would whipe others around the track following the principle of light weight, simplicity and reliablity with a price lower than the others in its category.
the new nsx is pretty much the opposite.

A mid engine corvette with a monstrous price tag, to me, is the same as them turning it into the highest preformance awd four door turbo 4 ever built.
Cool, Chevy makes the highest preformance awd four door turbo car ever made, but using the name corvette for it would be barf worthy.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

In simple terms the nsx was meant to be a purist super car that would whipe others around the track following the principle of light weight, simplicity and reliablity with a price lower than the others in its category.

A mid engine corvette with a monstrous price tag, to me, is the same as them turning it into the highest preformance awd four door turbo 4 ever built.
Cool, Chevy makes the highest preformance awd four door turbo car ever made, but using the name corvette for it would be barf worthy.
Nobody posting on this forum knows 100% for sure what the pricing and structure of any future Corvette will be, but in the majority opinion (and what makes sense from a business case) is the $60k budget supercar Corvette will not disappear after this model year. I personally think based on the brakes, tires, and past 3 generations of Corvette evolution the first "midengine" Corvette will be roughly $65k with higher priced, higher performance versions coming out in the 3 to 4 years after introduction. Some think the mid-engine, even with the small steel rotors we've seen driving around is going to be a $150k car but even if that were the case, Chevy would be stupid to not still offer a $60k Corvette (most likely the C7 until a front engine redesign, as we haven't seen any front engine mules driving about but again I don't personally think this is the path Chevy will be taking). Either way regarding a front engine Corvette, this is either the last front engine Corvette that will be created or it is many years down the line. I hope this helps your decision making process
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Several points. The indication is that the new model with the engine behind the passenger compartment will not be substantially higher in price than the current model. Maybe up a little commensurate with the increase in performance. Every generation has ben more expensive than the last.

The new model will still be the performance bargain that all the previous models that you have come to know and love. It is not going to Lamborghini pricing.

The current model is mid engine, and has been several generations. It just has the engine in front of the passenger compartment. So have no fear you are moving from a front engine to a mid engine, it was done more than 30 years ago.

There is an indication that the current configuration will continue for a couple of years along side the new configuration. Will it look exactly like the 2019? Likely there will be very minor changes as there always are each model year, even if it is color changes.

So will there be a completely new model? Yes. Will the old model go away? maybe (likely not in the near term). Does that meet the criteria for you to bail on buying a Corvette? Your decision.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM
ender2664
Advanced

"The current model is mid engine, and has been several generations. It just has the engine in front of the passenger compartment. So have no fear you are moving from a front engine to a mid engine, it was done more than 30 years ago."

it seems everyone but you knows when we refer to a new mid engine corvette we are referring to RMR, awquard :/

Last edited by ender2664; 07-12-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

-correct

GM is giving me the option to take advantage of the California lemon law on my SS 1LE and I'm thinking ZL1 or Grand sport and leaning towards Grand sport. I just don't want to get a car and 1 year later a fully redesigned version comes out.
Look, if you’re buying this car to be a driver you shouldn’t care if there are aesthetic differences based on a slight refresh. The basic design of these cars hasn’t really changed since the C5. The GS is a rocking car. Drive it, love it, and don’t expect resale. That way you’ll be happy in the end. I’ve done the mental gymnastics you’re going through, and it’s wasted energy. My advice is buy the GS and stay off the computer.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

"The current model is mid engine, and has been several generations. It just has the engine in front of the passenger compartment. So have no fear you are moving from a front engine to a mid engine, it was done more than 30 years ago."

it seems everyone but you knows when we refer to a new mid engine corvette we are referring to RMR, awquard :/
The C4 engine was further behind the front axle than the C5,6 and 7 which are not considered mid engined cars like this Panoz or C8.

Last edited by Shaka; 07-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM
ender2664
Advanced

"Look, if you’re buying this car to be a driver you shouldn’t care if there are aesthetic differences based on a slight refresh"
who said anything about aesthetic differences based on a slight refresh?

Side note- "shouldn't care" is a strange comment
Old 07-12-2018, 12:28 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

-correct

Sorry to hear about your 1LE. I would look at both of your choices and possibly even the Z06 and then move on what feels best for you. There are some deals to be had out there.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 info

Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

This whole thread is a bit laughable. It's the same thing we've seen a thousand times. Someone doesn't like the design of the new C8 and wants to vent about it. It will be mid-engine. No, front-engine is not a defining trait of Corvette. Pointy front-end maybe (at least since 1963). Four taillight clusters in back (at least since 1961). Not much else has been consistent and plenty of Corvette concepts through the years have been mid-engine. About the only consistent aspect of the engine through most of the car's history has been that it has a V8. So, stop spindoctoring and saying that X is not Corvette, and just say you don't like it.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:54 PM
ender2664
Advanced

"This whole thread is a bit laughable. It's the same thing we've seen a thousand times. Someone doesn't like the design of the new C8 and wants to vent about it."
no
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM
ender2664
Advanced

Originally Posted by z edge
Sorry to hear about your 1LE. I would look at both of your choices and possibly even the Z06 and then move on what feels best for you. There are some deals to be had out there.
I appreciate your kind words.
unfortunately the Z06 is definitely out of my price range. The grand sport is pushing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 info