C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette side window doesn't close properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 AM
fesa
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette side window doesn't close properly

Hi guys,

long time reader, first time writer. I am a corvette owner from Austria (imported my 1908s Corvette from California) and I have a problem with my side window on the driver side. The thing is that is does not close properly - meaning it does not go all the way up. We are not talking about a couple of inches but maybe 1/10 of an inch so that when the door is closed I have a slight breeze of air coming through the tiny split.

Does anyone have that problem as well and if so, is there a fix to it? The side window on the other side is perfectly fine.

Thank you so much and best regards from Vienna!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:24 AM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I am watching this thread closely! Same problem in my 78. Thought it was because I replaced the weatherstripping, but even with the door open, the so did doesn't seem to have enough travel. I've taken off the door panel and adjusted the upper limit stops as far as they would go, still have the 1/8" gap.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Welcome.

First off I need more information.

It is ALWAYS BEST to operate you windows with the engine running. Reason being...the alternator is providing more current than the battery by itself can provide...which HELPS motors greatly.

Are you trying to raise the window with the door shut???

IF SO...then open your door and while raising the door glass, grab it a the top edge and HELP it up by pulling up on it until it stops.. Then shut your door and check for that small gap.

IF it is fine...then lower the door glass and then put the door glass UP while the door is still OPEN and do not help it this time and see if it is the same end result.

Many times a door glass may go UP all the way when the door is open...but IF the door glass is raised when the door is shut...the w/strips can cause for slight bind and not allow it that little bit more that is needed to fully go up.

Please reply with your results of doing this.

DUB
Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 AM
fesa
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
Welcome.

First off I need more information.

It is ALWAYS BEST to operate you windows with the engine running. Reason being...the alternator is providing more current than the battery by itself can provide...which HELPS motors greatly.

Are you trying to raise the window with the door shut???

IF SO...then open your door and while raising the door glass, grab it a the top edge and HELP it up by pulling up on it until it stops.. Then shut your door and check for that small gap.

IF it is fine...then lower the door glass and then put the door glass UP while the door is still OPEN and do not help it this time and see if it is the same end result.

Many times a door glass may go UP all the way when the door is open...but IF the door glass is raised when the door is shut...the w/strips can cause for slight bind and not allow it that little bit more that is needed to fully go up.

Please reply with your results of doing this.

DUB
Hi Dub!

Thank you very much for your reply and sorry for the delay. I just found time yesterday evening to try it out.

Unfortunately it did not really change the setup. The side window on the driver side still has a veeeeery tiny gap between the glass and the weatherstripping. Barely noticable, but it is still there. :-(

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much!!!

Last edited by fesa; 07-17-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:29 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES.. Only being able to go off of what you have described and commented on...The door panel will need to be removed and you will need to slightly raise up the upper stops in the vertical window tracks. Very easily done.

DUB
Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Hello fesa and welcome to the forum

How are the door gaps on the drivers door? If it is fairly well centered, adjusted correctly, then there are some adjustments, but the door panel needs to come off. First check how the glass sits, is there a large gap at the rear of the window and little to the front? Does the glass tilt in excessively? With the door panel off, there are adjustment bolts at the top front/rear that give some slight adjustments to move the glass forward/backward and tilt in/out. You can play with these as well as moving the stop adjustments inside the door on the glass runner tracks. It will take some time and patience to get a good fit. Also, how is the weather seal on the T-top? After all my adjustments, I still had a very slight annoying leak at the top of my window and I eliminated that by replacing and modifying the T-top seal. Good luck, have some cold ones on hand when you do this.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette side window doesn't close properly

Quick Reply: Corvette side window doesn't close properly