Sponsored by:

Powerstop brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 AM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 602 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Powerstop brake pads

After fighting with the brake dust for 24K miles on my ‘16 Z51, I decided enough was enough. Bought a set of Pwerstops Z23’s from Rock Auto and traded the car in 5 days later 😂. However, I did replace with a ‘17 Z51. Finally got around to having time to put the brake pads in and OMG what a difference. After several hundred miles the wheels still look amazing. Braking performance for my use (daily driving with spirited runs) is on par with the stockers. And I have NEVER had such an easy time changing pads. The setup on these cars is awesome. I decided on the powerstops because overall people seemed to review them favorably (I’m aware a picture of brown rotors will show up in the next few posts &#128514 and they were significantly cheaper than the carbotechs. Further, I decided to go Z23 over the Z26 after researching and finding out that they were the exact same compound and that it was only the backing plate (rubber in z23 and metal on z26) that was different. Those were even more cost effective than the Z26s. If I ever decide to do a track day, it’s so EASY to swap pads, that I’m not even worried about the fact that the Z23 aren’t designed for track use with the rubber backing. Anyways, just wanted to post to say if you’re even thinking about it, just go for it. You will be so happy. The entire set with shipping cost me $77! I guarantee you will spend more than that on wheel cleaner alone over the course of a year 😉

Last edited by neogenesis; 07-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:28 AM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

Totally agree. Have mine on a year now and could not be happier. No dust on the side of the car and wheels and I too don`t see any browning of my rotors. Great decision and wish I did it a year earlier.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by traronf
Totally agree. Have mine on a year now and could not be happier. No dust on the side of the car and wheels and I too don`t see any browning of my rotors. Great decision and wish I did it a year earlier.
Count me in!! One of the best mods that I have ever done.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I put them on my 2015 Z51. The rotors did turn brown. And in damp weather the brakes would squeal when cold. The price was right and install was easy. Dust was significantly reduced. I will most likely install them on my new 2107 Z51.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
I put them on my 2015 Z51. The rotors did turn brown. And in damp weather the brakes would squeal when cold. The price was right and install was easy. Dust was significantly reduced. I will most likely install them on my new 2107 Z51.
I bought my Z-51 in LA and drove it home, 400 miles of freeway driving and my wheels looked like take off's from Le Mans. After some research I went with the Z-26 pads, easy switch out, and wheels stay clean for weeks rather than minutes. I don't have an issue with brown rotor's, nor would I care if I did. My wheels stay clean, my car stops fine with no noise or shudder issues, very happy with the price and results.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:16 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Installed my Z26’s today...this is the second time I’ve installed them (two different C7’s). A humid day for the garage work but the results are phenomenal and well worth the time. Used the opportunity to wash the rims throughly while off.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:12 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I use powerstops on my Z51 and no browning, My car is DD and spirited driving here and there. Love these pads, great price also.
The following users liked this post:
ISUringman (11-18-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,470 Likes on 741 Posts

Before and after !!!!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I put Z26's on my 15 Z51 last week the Brembo pads would dust the wheels in short trip. My rotors would brown with them after a day of sitting. I havent noticed that with the powerstops so far. I havent hd any dust so far much better and car stops great
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Why does Corvette even use OEM brake pads that cause such an awful dust problem? Are they just cheaping out? I could not believe how quickly the wheels, especially the front ones, on my 2019 Grand Sport 2LT become nasty with brake dust. Very much looking forward to getting that problem corrected.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Admittedly, they are a bit more expensive, but if the potential of yellowing rotors is a concern, the other good option are the Carbotech 1521. The yellowing rotors seem hit or miss with the Powerstops, as some get it and others don't, for whatever reason. Either way, I didn't want to worry about it, since there were no reports of that issue with the Carbotechs. They also greatly reduce the brake dust, and have been mostly quiet and squeal-free.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Powerstop Z26 pads on my GS. No squealing and no browning. I also have Powerstop Z26's on my Challenger Hellcat. Also no squealing or browning. Interestingly both cars have the exact same from brake pad part number. Also, I'm active on the Hellcat Forum and there aren't any post there about browning of rotors with Powerstop pads. Apparently, the problem only affects Corvettes.

Phil
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I'd call it more a bronze burnish than a brown on my powerstop equipped C7. Funny thing, Mercedes brake pads used to black dust their wheels something fierce. Got so bad that dealers had brake covers that went behind the wheel that you could buy to keep that black dust off the alloy wheels. My newest MB, a 2014, doesn't dust a bit. But it has "bronzed" it's rotors, just like the Powerstops. If bronze discs are ok by Mr. Benz, they are ok by me. Kinda like that "George Hamilton" look of my rotors, and I love no more corrosive black dust!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:44 PM
zergi06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Very happy with my Z26’s. I have 500 miles on mine now and wheels are still beautiful. Can’t believe the difference in brake dust reduction. I have begun to notice a slight bronzing / browning of my rotors but that’s fine with me. No change in braking performance whatsoever. Great mod for sure.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by ECSIII
Why does Corvette even use OEM brake pads that cause such an awful dust problem? Are they just cheaping out? I could not believe how quickly the wheels, especially the front ones, on my 2019 Grand Sport 2LT become nasty with brake dust. Very much looking forward to getting that problem corrected.
Cheeping out?? You must be kidding, as a poster said he paid $77 for his Chinese Pads. The OEM pads are designed for Tracking. Racing type pads have dust! With GM’s volume leverage they could buy for even less!

I got hooked into buying those pads from forum posts and paid $118 for 4 wheels including the much large front pads on a Grand Sport. Should have known better since I had such great low dust performance with the more expensive, low dust made in USA Carbotech 1521 pads I put on my 2014 Z51. Had those for ~3 years. Stopped great. After 900 miles removed the PowerStops and replaced them with the more expensive Carbotech 1521s due to inferior cold pad stops than I had for 3 1/2 years. I also had some rotor browning and saw "Wreaker3's" brown rotor post. Have had them on my Grand Sport for a year with great cold pad stops, no rotor browning and very low dust. I only wash my wheels when I wash the car.

Admittedly I have a somewhat unique reequipment of needing excellent aggressive stops with cold pads. The Carbotechs provide that and the PowerStops did not.

Hmm, $77 to stop a $60,000+ high performance car! I should have known better in the first place. Know forum members are happy with them and glad they got a good batch. BTW, Hawk, another quality made in US brake pad source are about the same price as the Carbotech 1521 Street Pads. Carbotech has ~3 other models for racing depending the type of of circuit or gymkhana etc. However they won't have that same cold pad performance or low dust.

Your Car Your Choice.

SEE PIC: I have a somewhat unique requirement of having to stop aggressively after I merge into 65+ mph traffic on a 4 lane highway at the end of my street. No shoulder and don't want to cause cars from behind to have to apply their brakes when I turn. Especially in the summer with many folks going to Myrtle Beach, traffic is heavy. If there is a car on the rural road where I turn waiting to enter the highway very little turn-in space! The OEM and Carbotech pads stop great. The Carbotech pads have very linear pedal modulation may stop with more control when cold.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-15-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
Borntorun04/17 (07-15-2018), ECSIII (07-15-2018), Malum1 (08-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM
VETTEKEDC7
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Have had my Z26's installed for almost two years on my '16 Z51. No dust problem. No rotor issues. I can't tell the difference from OEM to these.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

"The OEM pads are designed for Tracking. Racing type pads have dust!"

Thanks for the explanation - I didn't know that! I'll definitely be getting the Carbotech 1521's.

By the way, drove right by your place a few weeks ago on our way to Pawleys Island, SC. Small world.

Best regards,
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Powerstop brake pads

Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^

Yep, small world. Since they route folks to Myrtle Beach the highway in front of our Club, in the summer the traffic is really heavy. If I waited for no traffic in both directions could be there some time! That is why I merge when I can and apply the brakes very aggressively to make that turn! If a car is on that rural road waiting to go onto the highway I need that control to get into the narrow space! I'm sure some folks wonder if this Vette with it's directional signals on is going to be able to stop! It's no issue with the Carbotech pads.

PS: I'm not the only one who noticed the difference with cold PowerStop pads, this post was from member Z06NJ:
"Initially you will feel that you have to step harder to make them brake the same as OEM. That's because all you know up to that time are the OEM brakes. However, with time, it becomes like muscle memory. Now I just brake like normal and don't even think about it. But I'll never forget the 1st day I got them installed and I was driving home, I was like "WTF's going on here...I'm gonna end up rear ending somebody. LOL. But you get used to them.”

Note, once warm the PowerStop pads were fine but his statement with cold pads is what I was feeling. The Carbotech pads have very linear stopping feel.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-16-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 PM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ECSIII
My opinion is if they put on brakes that are low dust they would sacrifice performance specifically on the track. Then you would have the magazine guys saying the brakes faded during testing.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 PM
zergi06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Why does this dude always have to say he has such aggressive breaking needs on his daily commute. Every Powerstop thread he has to bring that up. Maybe he needs to find a new route for work or learn to drive.

Quick Reply: Powerstop brake pads