C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Replacement GPS Radio for C6 as of 2018

Old 07-14-2018, 01:19 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Recommended Replacement GPS Radio for C6 as of 2018

I am not sure if I am going to do it but I am curious what others who have done so recommend as of 2018 as a replacement GPS Radio to swap into ones C6 to replace the factory GPS Radio System. The only reason I am thinking about it is because I would like to utilize my iPhones GPS Capability through my GPS System in my car like my wife is able to do in her 2016 Chevy Malibu and my daughter is able to do in her 2016 Camaro. The technology is just not there in the GPS Radio that came equipped with my 2006 Corvette. Wish there was a way that I could do the same in my Factory GPS Radio in my 2006. The set up using the always updated GPS system in our iPhones is just the best from what I have seen so far.
The following users liked this post:
Callaway DrDon (07-18-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:05 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Your post is a little confusing. You are looking to replace the factory navigation with an aftermarket head unit? If so, you would have the choice of buying a unit with built-in navigation or without. In your case, it sounds like you want to use your phones navigation through your cars head unit. If that is correct, you need to look at head units that have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I would recommend something with a capacitive touch screen. Capacitive touch screen gives you better graphics and visibility over resistive touch screen and is similar to a smart phones screen. Also, you can consider adding a backup camera with an aftermarket head unit. As far as what models or brands to look at, I would suggest to stick with Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine. The Kenwood's right now have a nice combination of features and sound quality. There are many choices out there, but 2 units to look at IMO would be the Kenwood DDX9905s or last years DDX9904s which is marked down right now on Crutchfield.com.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

After much research I have purchased the Kenwood DDX9905S HU and the Kenwood Cmos-230 backup camera and a $12.00 front camera from Amazon. The cameras are installed I drilled no holes for either camera. I did drill a hole for the Kenwood wiring harness to go through the body. The front camera is round and fit perfectly in the center of the grill. The Kenwood I used a screw that held the license plate light in. Probably going to be next Saturday before the HU is installed.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Your post is a little confusing. You are looking to replace the factory navigation with an aftermarket head unit? If so, you would have the choice of buying a unit with built-in navigation or without. In your case, it sounds like you want to use your phones navigation through your cars head unit. If that is correct, you need to look at head units that have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I would recommend something with a capacitive touch screen. Capacitive touch screen gives you better graphics and visibility over resistive touch screen and is similar to a smart phones screen. Also, you can consider adding a backup camera with an aftermarket head unit. As far as what models or brands to look at, I would suggest to stick with Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine. The Kenwood's right now have a nice combination of features and sound quality. There are many choices out there, but 2 units to look at IMO would be the Kenwood DDX9905s or last years DDX9904s which is marked down right now on Crutchfield.com.
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I should of mentioned about Apple Car Play. That is what is in the factory GPS Radio in my wife's and daughters 2016 Malibu Limited and Camaro GPS Radio units. They just don't use the factory GPS units map setup being we don't pay for on-star only XM-Radio in both vehicles. Being we all have iPhones they use their iPhone Navigation right through Apple Car Play and it shows up very nicely on the screen. That is the only thing I would like to do otherwise I would keep my factory unit. The previous owner put in a Pal Harness for iPod useage some years back so although I don't have Blue Tooth it is wired for my iPod.

Last edited by ffas23; 07-14-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:53 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ffas23
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I should of mentioned about Apple Car Play. That is what is in the factory GPS Radio in my wife's and daughters 2016 Malibu Limited and Camaro GPS Radio units. They just don't use the factory GPS units map setup being we don't pay for on-star only XM-Radio in both vehicles. Being we all have iPhones they use their iPhone Navigation right through Apple Car Play and it shows up very nicely on the screen. That is the only thing I would like to do otherwise I would keep my factory unit. The previous owner put in a Pal Harness for iPod useage some years back so although I don't have Blue Tooth it is wired for my iPod.
In my opinion, changing out the head unit with an aftermarket is a real nice upgrade for any C6. I installed a Pioneer 8200nex with built in navigation. But it also has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which also makes the built-in navigation an unnecessary added expense for most people. Changing to an aftermarket head unit and adding a reverse camera were by far my favorite mods. I found the factory Nav unit to be embarrassingly bad especially by my car's 2012 model year standards. The added blue tooth for phone and music streaming will also be a big upgrade for your car if you do go ahead with it.
The following users liked this post:
ffas23 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jgreg0912
After much research I have purchased the Kenwood DDX9905S HU and the Kenwood Cmos-230 backup camera and a $12.00 front camera from Amazon. The cameras are installed I drilled no holes for either camera. I did drill a hole for the Kenwood wiring harness to go through the body. The front camera is round and fit perfectly in the center of the grill. The Kenwood I used a screw that held the license plate light in. Probably going to be next Saturday before the HU is installed.
Just curious who backs the GPS in your Kenwood DDX9905S HU? Is it Garmin? If so do you get Garmins lifetime free GPS update that they offer on all their GPS units today?

Last edited by ffas23; 07-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:41 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

In my opinion, changing out the head unit with an aftermarket is a real nice upgrade for any C6. I installed a Pioneer 8200nex with built in navigation. But it also has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which also makes the built-in navigation an unnecessary added expense for most people. Changing to an aftermarket head unit and adding a reverse camera were by far my favorite mods. I found the factory Nav unit to be embarrassingly bad especially by my car's 2012 model year standards. The added blue tooth for phone and music streaming will also be a big upgrade for your car if you do go ahead with it.
Who backs your GPS on the Pioneer 8200nex? Is it Garmin or some other Company? What about updates to it. How is it performed and is there a cost?

Last edited by ffas23; 07-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Still wondering if I should make the move as I have been doing plenty of research the last few days. Looking at my situation I am very happy with the sound coming out of my Chevrolet Bose GPS Radio that came equipped with the car. The previous owner put in a aftermarket Pal harness to the radio so there is a iPod wire and plug going to my center console. It has a excellent sound. What I am missing is bluetooth and Apple Car Play. Wish someone made some sort of a adapter to bring Apple Car Play to my factory GPS Bose Radio. If that was possible I would consider the adapter just to retain the factory look of the Corvette Insignia in the car Screen.

Just found this Adapter for Apple Car Play online seems to be very reasonable. Is anyone familar with it? Maybe with a adapter to my Pal set up in my car this Plug and Play Carplay USB Dongle For Android Car Radio Support IOS IPhone Car touch screen control would work.
https://www.seicane.com/plug-and-pla...hoC4jwQAvD_BwE

Last edited by ffas23; 07-15-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Just curious who backs the GPS in your Kenwood DDX9905S HU? Is it Garmin? If so do you get Garmins lifetime free GPS update that they offer on all their GPS units today?
The DDX9905S does not come with navigation built in. I will use either Apple car play using google maps.Those will always be updated.

Last edited by Jgreg0912; 07-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Still wondering if I should make the move as I have been doing plenty of research the last few days. Looking at my situation I am very happy with the sound coming out of my Chevrolet Bose GPS Radio that came equipped with the car. The previous owner put in a aftermarket Pal harness to the radio so there is a iPod wire and plug going to my center console. It has a excellent sound. What I am missing is bluetooth and Apple Car Play. Wish someone made some sort of a adapter to bring Apple Car Play to my factory GPS Bose Radio. If that was possible I would consider the adapter just to retain the factory look of the Corvette Insignia in the car Screen.

Just found this Adapter for Apple Car Play online seems to be very reasonable. Is anyone familar with it? Maybe with a adapter to my Pal set up in my car this Plug and Play Carplay USB Dongle For Android Car Radio Support IOS IPhone Car touch screen control would work.
https://www.seicane.com/plug-and-pla...hoC4jwQAvD_BwE
You should go to YouTube and do a search on this company and it’s products. I wouldn’t touch it if it were free. I’m pretty sure it won’t work on the Corvette factory navigation head unit.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jgreg0912

The DDX9905S does not come with navigation built in. I will use either Apple car play using google maps.Those will always be updated.
Thanks for the quick response.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rick369

You should go to YouTube and do a search on this company and it’s products. I wouldn’t touch it if it were free. I’m pretty sure it won’t work on the Corvette factory navigation head unit.
Just checking possible options online and came across this today. Thanks for the response. I don't think it will work either being the GPS Radio in my 2006 doesn't have a USB connection.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Who backs your GPS on the Pioneer 8200nex? Is it Garmin or some other Company? What about updates to it. How is it performed and is there a cost?
Pioneer uses Here Maps. There is no cost and I believe mine has lifetime updates. So far it works great but I don’t really use it often. I also have my phones maps through Apple CarPlay if I decide to use that instead. The Kenwood units use Garmin which is a plus for those who like the Garmin units. To me I feel like they are all the same for the most part.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

I upgraded the base Head Unit in my 2011 C6 coupe to a Pioneer AVH 4201 NEX. There is now a newer model Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX
which offers wireless Apple Car Play. I am very happy with the 4201 but I would prefer not to have to plug in my iPhone to use Car Play. The package included a back up cam which I find really helpful. There is definitely an improvement in the overall sound also. I use Apple Maps through Car Play for navigation and it works great.

Good luck with your search. I am quite pleased with the upgrade form the base head unit.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:14 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Pioneer uses Here Maps. There is no cost and I believe mine has lifetime updates. So far it works great but I don’t really use it often. I also have my phones maps through Apple CarPlay if I decide to use that instead. The Kenwood units use Garmin which is a plus for those who like the Garmin units. To me I feel like they are all the same for the most part.
Thanks I appreciate the response. I am also now kicking around if I would want a unit with CD,DVD and GPS being Apple Car Play is available in many units. Trying not to rush in to anything.

Last edited by ffas23; 07-16-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:57 AM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Thanks I appreciate the response. I am also now kicking around if I would want a unit with CD,DVD and GPS being Apple Car Play is available in many units. Trying not to rush in to anything.
There are so many choices that it can be overwhelming. I first was only spending $450 for a HU. Then someone recommended the DDX9904s was on close out for $499. I finally decided to go with the 9905 because of the better screen and some of the latest technology. I started with a budget of $500 and now am over a grand. But in a few months if I’m enjoying the features of the HU then the cost will be a thing of the past.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Losing the HUD would be a deal stopper.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended Replacement GPS Radio for C6 as of 2018

Old 07-16-2018, 07:16 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saplumr
Losing the HUD would be a deal stopper.
You should be more specific. You don’t lose HUD, but only the navigation functions that go through the HUD. Many of us were faced with that same decision and all the ones that replaced their head unit with an aftermarket decided that the pros out weighed the con. Also not every Corvette has HUD and/or the navigation, so for some it’s a non issue.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

You should be more specific. You don’t lose HUD, but only the navigation functions that go through the HUD. Many of us were faced with that same decision and all the ones that replaced their head unit with an aftermarket decided that the pros out weighed the con. Also not every Corvette has HUD and/or the navigation, so for some it’s a non issue.
Since we’re talking about the nav unit I didn’t see the need to be so specific.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saplumr

Since we’re talking about the nav unit I didn’t see the need to be so specific.
Well for people that don’t know or are researching replacing a head unit, you make it sound like they are losing the HUD which is not really accurate. The HUD has more primary features that will still function normally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended Replacement GPS Radio for C6 as of 2018