C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4l60e rebuild question for experts

Old 07-14-2018, 09:22 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts
Default 4l60e rebuild question for experts

I'm rebuilding a 4l60e and have installed the reverse clutches, the planetary gear and rear shaft. The assembly only spins clockwise now. The rear shaft and sun shell will only spin in one direction. If I try spinning it backwards it is completely locked. Is this how it is supposed to be? When I installed the collar on the reverse clutches center support it only spun one direction as well. That was before installing it. I just want to be sure its not jammed.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by topfuel67
I'm rebuilding a 4l60e and have installed the reverse clutches, the planetary gear and rear shaft. The assembly only spins clockwise now. The rear shaft and sun shell will only spin in one direction. If I try spinning it backwards it is completely locked. Is this how it is supposed to be? When I installed the collar on the reverse clutches center support it only spun one direction as well. That was before installing it. I just want to be sure its not jammed.
The inside race of the roller clutch should only turn clockwise. However, the output shaft and the sunshell have to turn either direction. If not, you would never be able to back up or have first gear/

Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

I think I will pull it apart and recheck it.
Thank you for the reply
Old 07-15-2018, 06:38 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the reply
I have been giving this more thought and your description of what's happening is confusing me. There is only one item back there that is only supposed to turn in one direction and that is the rear planet carrier. It should turn clockwise. The sunshell should turn both ways and if you are describing the situation correctly, I am not seeing what could not allow it to turn as it is only connected to the rear sungear. If you have installed the output shaft as you say(rear shaft???) then it too should rotate both directions as it is only splined to the ring gear(and front planet). Something is amiss.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:41 PM
RalfKramden
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

AFAIK it sounds like you put the sprag in backwards. That's the ring with the little tabs that pop out. Try reversing it and it "should" solve that problem.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:31 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RalfKramden
AFAIK it sounds like you put the sprag in backwards. That's the ring with the little tabs that pop out. Try reversing it and it "should" solve that problem.

If you read the original post, you will read that he said "it spins clockwise" which it is supposed to do. Forward or backward, it would have absolutely no effect on the sunshell or the output shaft.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:37 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the reply
If you are in the process of assembling, do you by any chance have the output shaft locked in a holding fixture(such as a vise)? This would cause the sunshell to turn in only one direction(clockwise)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

As others have touched on, the roller sprag should permit the rear planetary to rotate clockwise only. The sun and shell should spin both ways or you won't be able to back up. If it does not spin both ways something is very wrong.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by confab
As others have touched on, the roller sprag should permit the rear planetary to rotate clockwise only. The sun and shell should spin both ways or you won't be able to back up. If it does not spin both ways something is very wrong.

The OP has not come back with any further responses but as I say in the post above yours, the only way that the sunshell would turn in only one direction as he states, is if the output shaft were locked. The sunshell would turn in the clockwise motion and also drive the planetary in the same direction. However, attempting to turn the sunshell in the counterwise direction would cause the roller clutch to lock up and not allow the sunshell to turn since the ringgear would also be locked.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by arbee
The OP has not come back with any further responses but as I say in the post above yours, the only way that the sunshell would turn in only one direction as he states, is if the output shaft were locked. The sunshell would turn in the clockwise motion and also drive the planetary in the same direction. However, attempting to turn the sunshell in the counterwise direction would cause the roller clutch to lock up and not allow the sunshell to turn since the ringgear would also be locked.
You're right.. Or, it does take more than finger effort to spin it the other way.

The shell is sharp. Maybe he's not pushing it hard enough?

You gave him good advice.. Just wanted to confirm and chime in because I saw the word "transmission"

Old 07-16-2018, 02:23 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

Unfortunately I am not rebuilding this at home so I won't be able to check again for a few days. I'm pretty sure that the sunshell was locked to the reverse planetary gear assembly and only spins clockwise if you are looking down at the assembly. The rear output shaft is in the assembly as well. I don't think the sunshell spins freely at this point. So the whole reverse assembly, sunshell, output shaft can only be turned clockwise.
I appreciate all the replies and will update the post once I try again. I've only gotten as far as installing the yellow snap ring on the rear output shaft so it wouldn't be too bad to pull it apart again​​​​​​.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately I am not rebuilding this at home so I won't be able to check again for a few days. I'm pretty sure that the sunshell was locked to the reverse planetary gear assembly and only spins clockwise if you are looking down at the assembly. The rear output shaft is in the assembly as well. I don't think the sunshell spins freely at this point. So the whole reverse assembly, sunshell, output shaft can only be turned clockwise.
I appreciate all the replies and will update the post once I try again. I've only gotten as far as installing the yellow snap ring on the rear output shaft so it wouldn't be too bad to pull it apart again​​​​​​.

If you have installed the snapring on the output shaft, then you have installed BOTH planetary assemblies. You did not mention this in your original post. This makes a difference now with the possibilities.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

Sorry, I'm new to this so don't have the terminology down. But yes both assemblies are installed. I got concerned after I installed that snap ring that it only rotates clockwise. So is this how it should be? I appreciate all the replies.

Last edited by topfuel67; 07-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Sorry, I'm new to this so don't have the terminology down. But yes both assemblies are installed. I got concerned after I installed that snap ring that it only rotates clockwise. So is this how it should be? I appreciate all the replies.

No. Something is definitely not right if the situation you describe is accurate. The ONLY things that should turn only one way(clockwise) is the REAR planet carrier and the FRONT ring gear. Anything else - output shaft, sunshell, sun gears should turn either direction.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Push harder on it.. Use a rag and shove it backwards.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

I finally got back to the trans. The sunshell spins counter clockwise and so does the inner planetary gear assembly with 4 gears. The collar stays stationary while spinning the sunshell backwards. It will only go clockwise. I think its ok.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:14 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

I finally got back to the trans. The sunshell spins counter clockwise and so does the inner planetary gear assembly with 4 gears. The collar stays stationary while spinning the sunshell backwards. It will only go clockwise. I think its ok.
Thanks for all the help.

I know you are just learning but your discriptions are a bit confusing. We need to make sure everything is correct before you button things up. You need to verify the following:

1. Sunshell must turn BOTH directions, not just CCW as you have stated.
2. Output shaft must spin BOTH directions
3. Planet carrier must ONLY spin CW. If it spins ONLY CCW, you have you roller clutch backwards.

Please clarify what you are referring to as the "collar". If you mean the inside roller clutch race, you describe it as going both directions which can't happen.

We will help you along because if this is wrong and you close things up, when you put it in 1st gear, all you are going to get is a reving engine.

PS: After I posted I thought of something. When you refer to the planetary gearset, I trust you are not referring to the FRONT gearset. That should not be in place or discussed until the rear gearset is doing what it is supposed to do.

Last edited by arbee; 07-20-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

The sunshell spins both directions. If I spin the sunshell CW it spins the whole planetary assembly and the collar for the planetary which is what the reverse drum will engage once installed. Sunshell CCW and only the inside of the planetary assembly turns.
The rear output shaft spins both directions.
The planetary assembly collar only spins CW.
I was expecting the assembly to spin either direction by trying to turn the outside collar of that planetary assembly.
Thank you for the follow-up.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Sounds fine.. Good luck on your build!

Get notified of new replies

To 4l60e rebuild question for experts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e rebuild question for experts