C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide body C7's need Xpel on the doors and rear quarter panels also!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default Wide body C7's need Xpel on the doors and rear quarter panels also!

When I got my wide body at the dealer last year I had Xpel installed before delivery on the entire front end, hood,mirrors,pillars front fenders,rocker panels,door handle area and 3/4 side skirts and thought I was all set with $1800 spent. Lately however when I am driving with the top down and my left arm resting on the top of the door I notice many times that small rocks are hitting my arm and even my hand. The sticky tires are throwing stones up all over the place. I am going in Friday to my Xpel guy and will be doing the entire doors and rear quarters as it is just a matter of time before the doors and rear quarters look like a used dart board. $1000 more now a total of $2800 spent on film. Wide body C7's need extra FILM than non wide body C7's for sure!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 07-15-2018 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (07-17-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I have a Z too w/full length shirts; although I doubt that they’re much better than the 3/4s. I also have the GM splash guards (essentially useless). While I agree that the tires throw everything against the car, I haven’t notice any pitting or chips anywhere on the doors... and the roads around here suk. I installed Xpel (ebay) on the brake ducts, splitter, skirts, mirrors... for about $100. So far so good.

How are your black wheels holding up? I noticed the rears have a few nicks, but not too bad... yet.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sTz
I have a Z too w/full length shirts; although I doubt that they’re much better than the 3/4s. I also have the GM splash guards (essentially useless). While I agree that the tires throw everything against the car, I haven’t notice any pitting or chips anywhere on the doors... and the roads around here suk. I installed Xpel (ebay) on the brake ducts, splitter, skirts, mirrors... for about $100. So far so good.

How are your black wheels holding up? I noticed the rears have a few nicks, but not too bad... yet.
A few nicks in the wheels which also happened on my 14 Z51 Stingray Black wheels not a big deal but I hate when the body gets nicks even though it is inevitable. I know everyone has a few nicks on their cars even if they are in denial! Just have to look very closely to find them but doing the doors and rear quarters will give my Z06 some more protection!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 07-15-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Any other wide body owners doing doors and rear quarters?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:28 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Did the entire car and have had over a year, 6K miles. I swear I can't find a nick and I've looked with a bright LED flash light. I've seen pics of the rear area behind the doors and some looked pretty bad.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
When I got my wide body at the dealer last year I had Xpel installed before delivery on the entire front end, hood,mirrors,pillars front fenders,rocker panels,door handle area and 3/4 side skirts and thought I was all set with $1800 spent. Lately however when I am driving with the top down and my left arm resting on the top of the door I notice many times that small rocks are hitting my arm and even my hand. The sticky tires are throwing stones up all over the place. I am going in Friday to my Xpel guy and will be doing the entire doors and rear quarters as it is just a matter of time before the doors and rear quarters look like a used dart board. $1000 more now a total of $2800 spent on film. Wide body C7's need extra FILM than non wide body C7's for sure!
Dave, it looks like your car doesn't have the side splitters installed. If you have them on, the debris from the road will rarely hit the door area. You can also buy the GM wheel well extenders (they don't stick out that much), but they really help to keep rocks and debris from being tossed up on the sides of your Z06. I agree that the rear fenders need film protection. I drive mine daily and have not (so far) had any chips on my doors and my Z06 is white.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Any other wide body owners doing doors and rear quarters?
Nope think it is a total waste of money. Not sure how all this paranoia started over the possibility of getting rock chips. If and that is a big if you get a chip touch it up no big deal. Xpel and the other manufacturers certainly love this idea of wrapping ones car to keep it perfect. But then you the owner with a bit more paranoid thinking start inspecting the wrap to keep it perfect, then do I ceramic coat it, and on and on it goes.
Look at used Vettes on any lot that do not have any clear wrap on them, do you see a bunch of rock chips?
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
Bob-G (07-19-2018), Kevin A Jones (07-20-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

If the OP doesn't have side skirts on his car, THAT is the problem. You simply have to have them because the tires on these cars are like flypaper - they pick up everything and then fire them all over the place. The side skirts and splash guards seem to stop pretty much everything.

Im at 2K miles on my GS, I have side skirts and ACS splash guards on the front and GM guards on the back, and I'm not getting any nicks on the side body panels at all - and they had my side streets torn up and full of gravel for the first 500 miles I drove the car.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,685 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Nope think it is a total waste of money. Not sure how all this paranoia started over the possibility of getting rock chips. If and that is a big if you get a chip touch it up no big deal. Xpel and the other manufacturers certainly love this idea of wrapping ones car to keep it perfect. But then you the owner with a bit more paranoid thinking start inspecting the wrap to keep it perfect, then do I ceramic coat it, and on and on it goes.
Look at used Vettes on any lot that do not have any clear wrap on them, do you see a bunch of rock chips?

You can repair A LOT of rock chips for $2800. Granted, my GS isn't my DD, however I've been through some nasty construction areas and heard the dreaded sound of gravel/debris/asphalt being thrown up and I have absolutely NO damage. I do have 3/4 skirts and OEM splash guards which are very effective. I am careful, trying not to follow too close and try to avoid problematic areas.

I did the analysis early on in getting pricing, speaking with vendors at Carlisle and determined it didn't make sense for me. Now if your C7 is your daily driver, and you live in a congested metropolitan area, they it may be worth the
expense to you.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 07-16-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Bob-G (07-19-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

Initially I had front bumper, 1/4 hood, 1/4 front fenders, head lights, mirrors, side skirts, lower rockers, and right by the brake ducts. But after a track day and 2 spirited mountain drives, I noticed the rear quarters start to get peppered. Before they got worse, I got them wrapped along with the entire hood and I also noticed A-pillars getting worked.

If you track the car or do mountain drives on roads that aren't 100% clean and perfect, you're going to get the paint beat up. If you just drive it to car shows and cruise around on highways, I think getting just the bumper and 1/4 hood is sufficient. But yes, Xpel is a life savor. It's not cheap but this isn't a cheap car so, protect your investment.
XPEL (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Dave,
Before you spend $1000 on xpel, I would highly suggest to try the ORiley Auto splash guard DIY...thread is in in Z06 section. I did it on my Z and it works perfectly!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Initially I had front bumper, 1/4 hood, 1/4 front fenders, head lights, mirrors, side skirts, lower rockers, and right by the brake ducts. But after a track day and 2 spirited mountain drives, I noticed the rear quarters start to get peppered. Before they got worse, I got them wrapped along with the entire hood and I also noticed A-pillars getting worked.

If you track the car or do mountain drives on roads that aren't 100% clean and perfect, you're going to get the paint beat up. If you just drive it to car shows and cruise around on highways, I think getting just the bumper and 1/4 hood is sufficient. But yes, Xpel is a life savor. It's not cheap but this isn't a cheap car so, protect your investment.
These are my feelings also!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by flying_vette
Dave,
Before you spend $1000 on xpel, I would highly suggest to try the ORiley Auto splash guard DIY...thread is in in Z06 section. I did it on my Z and it works perfectly!
Thanks for the advice but I run my car factory stock engine wise and body and interior wise so it would be weird for me putting on splash guards even though I do not disagree with you that it would be cheaper and help with protecting the car.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Dave, it looks like your car doesn't have the side splitters installed. If you have them on, the debris from the road will rarely hit the door area. You can also buy the GM wheel well extenders (they don't stick out that much), but they really help to keep rocks and debris from being tossed up on the sides of your Z06. I agree that the rear fenders need film protection. I drive mine daily and have not (so far) had any chips on my doors and my Z06 is white.
3/4 skirts were installed at delivery.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

The wider OEM splash guards help. You can't even tell they are there really.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:40 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

I do have 3/4 skirts and OEM splash guards which are very effective. I am careful, trying not to follow too close and try to avoid problematic areas.

I did the analysis early on in getting pricing, speaking with vendors at Carlisle and determined it didn't make sense for me. Now if your C7 is your daily driver, and you live in a congested metropolitan area, they it may be worth the
expense to you.
Very good points.I have,well i been posting that picture a lot lately.I'll post again.
Dave,No film on my WB GS.I drive according to No Film.I just think of the problematic Could Happen,If Area's
Not worth the money spent to protect.Almost 11k miles.Maybe 3 chips.Gotta really look for them.I know where.Most don't.
Keep your distance.Don't hover around trucks or cars.Road construction area's.Be ready and slow down.Road grinding,or fresh unfinished pavement..Bale
Passing on right out of road groove in the marbles,not good..
If you don't want to worry and drive Chip defensive.Film it

GM Guards,Corvette Mod's Skirts

Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Funny. I just found a rock chip in the middle of my passenger door. Not a door ding cause there are no other marks. My rear quarters have Xpel on them and the passenger quarter also has some scarring on the film. Kind of pissed me off, but I bought this to drive. Dr ColorChip is on the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Wide body C7's need Xpel on the doors and rear quarter panels also!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

3/4 skirts were installed at delivery.

Sorry, slightly OT, but great looking car. I can understand why you want to keep as perfect as you can. Me, I am trying a less expensive way and the ACS front splash guards and the GM rear splash guards arrived today. I have the same oem side skirts. If I see issues later on, I'll look into a more expensive solution. Your car looks awesome.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 AM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have ACS splashgards on the front and with the skirts on my GS I’m not seeing any issues with rock hits anywhere on the doors. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Getting my Xpel next week as picked up Car yesterday

Quick Reply: Wide body C7's need Xpel on the doors and rear quarter panels also!