Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me thinks there might be a problem... oh, and hello from the Hoosier State

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:32 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Me thinks there might be a problem... oh, and hello from the Hoosier State

New guy been lurking around for some time now.
Not big on posting (tinfoil hat kind of guy), but this is just to much to take and had to get this out. Video says it all.

Car was started at the request of OnStar to run diagnostics, then flat bed wrecker delivered to the purchasing dealer.

OnStar report:
Through your recent On-Demand Diagnostic, OnStar detected an issue with your 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

The code(s) and explanation(s) associated with this issue is/are:

U0401 An issue has been detected in the Antilock Brake System

P0300 The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

Based on the results, you should service your Chevrolet .
UPDATE: 7-17
Dealer confirmed Spun Rod. Case opened with GM for replacement. (later discovered this is not the case)

UDATE: 8-06
#7 lifter in 2 pieces and damaged cam. Head and block appear to be okay.

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 08-06-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 07-15-2018, 05:36 PM
rmm82
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

So sorry. What a bummer!
Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Not big on posting (tinfoil hat kind of guy), but this is just to much to take and had to get this out. Video says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCcfqFAUc8
mmmm serious problem . Sounds are not reproduced on videos that well

I wouldn’t start it again, piston hitting head most likely, check filters.

and yes I agree Big brother is watching
bfit

Last edited by bfit; 07-15-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM
curve65
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 178 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCcfqFAUc8
Sorry to hear that. Big time bummer. I hope you get it sorted out right.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Didn't occur to me until today, after much thought and deep'ish contemplation on this issue... but yesterday I seem to remember being in v4 mode a lot (abnormally more that normal), and the exhaust note was more stealth mode that not. I even checked that the settings for exhaust were where I left them "track mode". At the time I assumed it was due to the fact that its pretty much is driven like the old'ish fart that I am (at least in my eyes). I flogged it getting on the highway coming home (in manual to the top of third gear) and all seemed okay, then when I was turning in on my addition, I thought some old P.O.S. was following me... Nope, that was me making that noise.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good god man, why would you even start the car with that kind of noise! As said above, don't start again. You may want to take it somewhere but we have no info on where you are, what is the car (year, miles, warranty, dealers you've been to, etc.). Good luck.

Sorry you believe everyone's watching. Trust me on this, you can't stop it even if you never posted on anything, anywhere. It's too late.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

If you'd take off your "hat" we could read your thoughts and get a far better idea of what's going on.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Avanti
If you'd take off your "hat" we could read your thoughts and get a far better idea of what's going on.
Originally Posted by AORoads
Sorry you believe everyone's watching. Trust me on this, you can't stop it even if you never posted on anything, anywhere. It's too late.

LOL... I know! It's just too big to get off and I'm use to it now.
Good god man, why would you even start the car with that kind of noise! As said above, don't start again. You may want to take it somewhere but we have no info on where you are, what is the car (year, miles, warranty, dealers you've been to, etc.). Good luck.
Car was started per OnStar to run a diagnostics. I told the OnStar rep is wasn't a good idea, but they insisted. If they record, which I'm sure they do, they will have that on file and the response the rep gave "Oh man, that sounds bad".
It was towed to the purchasing dealer within an hour of this happening. I'll give OnStar this, it was good response and follow up.

Car is a 2016 Z51 with 4232 miles, Bone stock 100% virgin

OnStar Diagnostics email.

Dear xXxXxX xXxXxXxXxX,

Through your recent On-Demand Diagnostic, OnStar detected an issue with your 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

The code(s) and explanation(s) associated with this issue is/are:

[QUOTE]U0401 An issue has been detected in the Antilock Brake System

P0300 The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.

Based on the results, you should service your Chevrolet .

If you require Roadside Assistance please contact (866) 415-5838.

Please bring this email with you when you go for service.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

don't know why my last reply is needing mod approval?

car was started at the request of OnStar, despite my recommendation agains it.

2016, Z51 with 4232 miles. Still has warranty for 5 more days! I'm in the Fort Wayne area and the car was towed to the purchasing dealer.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Get it flat-bedded to the dealership ASAP.

Edit: Just saw your reply ^^^. Good to hear... and keep us updated on the diagnoses.

Last edited by sTz; 07-15-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

5 days? wow. I don't think so, tho. Your car's a '16. You are talking about the 3 year/36 month Bumper to Bumper warranty which may have 5 days left on the warranty, right?

On a '16 car built and put "in-service" say sometime in '15, yes, you only have 3 years from that time on your Bumper to Bumper warranty. But, unless I'm wrong, that sound is coming from your engine. Your engine is covered under the Powertrain warranty which, on your car, is the 5 year/60,000 mile one. If I'm wrong, someone tell me.

And truly, I wouldn't have started it with that sound for anyone other than the person that is definitely going to fix it, and onstar isn't that person. jmo though.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Warranty coverage starts the day you drive off the lot, not the day it’s produced? My 2017 Grand Sport has the 3 yr, 36,000 bumper to bumper until June of 2021.

also, “power-train” warranty is far more limited than you think. I once had a transmission cooler hose blow up on a car that has 10 yr/100,000 mile “power-train” warranty but still cost me $1,200 to repair, because transmission cooler and it’s associated hardware are not considered part of the power-train. Um, without the transmission cooler the tranny would just overheat and seize. How is that not part of the power-train?

After that, I reviewed what they consider power-train, and apparently for the engine it only includes the block, pistons and crank, and the valave-train. Exhaust header, intake track (MAF sensor, etc), oil/lubrication, cooling system...etc, NONE of that is covered.

Needless to say we sold that car immediately after the transmission cooler and cooling line is repaired.

Last edited by The HACK; 07-15-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

I wish this wasn't an issue at all, but since it is, i'm glad it's an issue during the bumper to bumper period. Should be nothing to worry about but it's still a PITA and disappointing. I know that every car, manufacture and product has a failure rate. Just wish it wasn't me! Diminished value is a concern if the engine is replaced, as it will forever be branded as "milage not actual".

This is my first GM product and hope that the experience, though not enjoyable, is one that ends well.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve heard some very bad fuel knocks
not being there to hear it does not help
its soulds terminal on the video clip
bfit
PS
I would have that car in a dealership as fast as possible,

Last edited by bfit; 07-17-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

She’s gonna blow!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I wish this wasn't an issue at all, but since it is, i'm glad it's an issue during the bumper to bumper period. Should be nothing to worry about but it's still a PITA and disappointing. I know that every car, manufacture and product has a failure rate. Just wish it wasn't me! Diminished value is a concern if the engine is replaced, as it will forever be branded as "milage not actual".

This is my first GM product and hope that the experience, though not enjoyable, is one that ends well.
If they replace the engine, that will not make true mileage unknown. It will be no different than any other warranty repair. There really should not be any "diminished value".
The following users liked this post:
HooosierDaddy (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds to me like it’s got the plague...
that long turn over when starting up (I’m a female and I’m sure it has a technical name but I don’t know it 🤷🏼*♀️) is exactly what mine was doing when the ball dropped on mine.
Left lifters spring went haywire making that same noise hitting continuously when it would change back and forth into 4 mode and then after the dealer took it apart and fixed it the right side did it along with cam bearing and AFM. Then engine replacement along with torque tube 3 times and then torque converter and partial exhaust.
Do not drive it, have it towed to a dealership that knows what they are doing.
Mine backfired at 960 miles and that long turnover was the indicator something wasn’t firing right. I may be blonde, but I have learned a lot about the sounds that indicate there is a major problem.
Good luck...send me a PM if you would like to hear my videos of mine with the plague.
The following users liked this post:
HooosierDaddy (07-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Me thinks there might be a problem... oh, and hello from the Hoosier State

Old 07-16-2018, 01:22 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,048 Posts

If the sound is coming from the top of the engine, it's a likely a valve spring or a lifter. Valve spring would be the lesser of the two evils. A bad lifter would result in a new cam being installed. A pain for sure, but not the end of the world

If the sound is coming from the bottom of the engine, it's a rod bearing. Depending on what they find, even a bad rod bearing can be addressed without replacing the entire engine.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:09 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Dealer hasn't had a chance to get it in the shop yet, but they are expecting to find metal in the lower end. If they do, they say that GM will most likely send a new motor as the cost of repairing is probably greater.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:27 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Spun Rod is the verdict. Still haven't looked at the top end, but they have opened a case with GM for full Replacement.

one other update my daughter was telling me about. On Friday (the day before the knocking). I started the car in the garage and had to go back into the house for my wallet. While I was in the house she said the car shook hard and lurched forward. At the time I thought nothing of it coming from a 16 year old drama queen… but maybe it meant something?

Quick Reply: Me thinks there might be a problem... oh, and hello from the Hoosier State