C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Road Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:18 PM
ellitto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road Header Question

Hello all, quick question. For the last couple of years I’ve had some kooks off road headers installed on my base C6 vette which understandably triggered the check engine light. I recently removed those headers and installed the stock set up. Does anyone know what I can do to remove the check engine light? Will it go away after time or is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

Last edited by ellitto; 07-15-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ellitto
Hello all, quick question. For the last couple of years I’ve had some kooks off road headers installed on my base C6 vette which understandably triggered the check engine light. I recently removed those headers and installed the stock set up. Does anyone know what I can do to remove the check engine light? Will it go away after time or is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!
Did you reinstall the rear o2s?

Last edited by slow_zo6; 07-15-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:35 PM
ellitto
Instructor

Originally Posted by slow_zo6

Did you reinstall the rear o2s?
Yes. I’m running the stock setup. As of yesterday.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:44 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Take the battery cable off and give it a few minutes and reconnect it and re index the windows. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Why did you remove the aftermarket headers on your C6 ?

If it was because of the check engine light ... with headers installed, any tuner can program the PCM so you never get that light (even with the rear 02 sensors permanently removed)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM
ellitto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Why did you remove the aftermarket headers on your C6 ?

If it was because of the check engine light ... with headers installed, any tuner can program the PCM so you never get that light (even with the rear 02 sensors permanently removed)
I removed them to sell them. Went back to stock.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM
ellitto
Instructor

Originally Posted by simplegto
Take the battery cable off and give it a few minutes and reconnect it and re index the windows. Good luck.
I was wondering if this would work because the battery was disconnected the whole time I was installing the stock headers. I guess I should try disconnecting again?

Re indexing the windows is just holding the window up 3 seconds twice right?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM
ellitto
Instructor

I tried disconnecting the battery to no avail. Does any one have any other suggestions?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

I tried disconnecting the battery to no avail. Does any one have any other suggestions?
Not really making sense, since the rear O2 sensors should have been deleted in the tune for the headers in play.
Granted that the car is going to end up running richer since the headers causes the car to lean out and was part of the header tune , but even with the rear O2 sensors hooked back up with the OEM manifolds and cats back on the car, the rear O2 sensor should still be turned off from the header tune and not monitoring the cats still.

What DTC # are you getting to start with?

Hence problem may not be the rear O2 sensor, but the pre 02 sensors with the tune for the header running too rich for the OEM manifolds back in play isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 07-17-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:24 PM
ellitto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Not really making sense, since the rear O2 sensors should have been deleted in the tune for the headers in play.
Granted that the car is going to end up running richer since the headers causes the car to lean out and was part of the header tune , but even with the rear O2 sensors hooked back up with the OEM manifolds and cats back on the car, the rear O2 sensor should still be turned off from the header tune and not monitoring the cats still.

What DTC # are you getting to start with?

Hence problem may not be the rear O2 sensor, but the pre 02 sensors with the tune for the header running too rich for the OEM manifolds back in play isntead.
I've never had a tune done. I had the off-road Kooks headers installed for about 4 years and just drove the car with the engine light on. I just replaced them with the stock headers hoping the light would turn off.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM
ellitto
Instructor

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

I've never had a tune done. I had the off-road Kooks headers installed for about 4 years and just drove the car with the engine light on. I just replaced them with the stock headers hoping the light would turn off.
If you ran the rear o2 sensors with headers, then chances are they are clogged/sooted to hell.

You can try to torch heat them to burn off the carbon sooting to try to get the sensors working again, but chances are you will need to replace the rear O2 sensors isntead.

Do a quick data log of the O2's to see how they are performing to start with, to make sure that you at least getting readings, even if the rear O2 sensor are lazy as hell to start with. Your front 02's should be jumping from .2 to .9 rapidly to tell they are working, and the rear O2's should be holding around 4 to 6 at a more steadier rate, except when you rev the motor, then they should jump up in voltage, but come back down very quickly. Hence lazy sensor on the front is easy to pick up, since it will want to hold around 5'ish without jumping, and on the rear, not in the correct hold'ish rate to begin with, and don't get the jump when you rev, nor the quick drop back down as well.

In this video, bank 1 sensor 2 (post cat senor) has major problems with it holding rock steady at .1, while the the rest of the sensors are working fine.

If you run into this problem, move/swap the trouble o2 sensor to each other sides, and make sure that the problem moves with the sensor. I bring this up, since if the o2 wires was burnt via the headers in play, the problem will not move with the sensor side swaps instead.

As for data logging, I have a few programs to due such including tech II and MDI, but tend to just use scan master with a wifi Elm 327 since it has larger graphs and can plug in what graphs that I want to monitor.

Last edited by Dano523; 07-18-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Off Road Header Question

Quick Reply: Off Road Header Question