Sponsored by:

vent cable install

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Tripower delight
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default vent cable install

Im trying to install the vent cable that goes to the floor vent, on my 69. On one end the cable goes to the door of the vent and the
other end goes to the console control wheel. The end that goes on the bottom isn't that much of a problem. The one that goes the console is another story.
It looks to me like theres a cap that goes on after the cable end is put on but I wedge the end of a small screwdriver in there to pop off that cap no dice.
I went easy on it so it doesn't break. What am I doing wrong Anybody ever change one out?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You need to work the crimp fastener off, install the cable loop, and put the crimp back on. If memory serves, I used a 1/4" deep socket to push mine on.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Small flat screwdriver and work the fastener off, a little on one side then a little on the other then back to the first side then the other......
In theory they are not meant to be reused but most don't have spares laying around so if you don't bend it too bad removing it you can reinstall
M

Last edited by Mooser; 07-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Tripower delight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mooser

Small flat screwdriver and work the fastener off, a little on one side then a little on the other then back to the first side then the other......
M
Ok guys thanks Im on the right track, or though I just found my assembly manual and they mark it as a nut. It doent look like a nut. Thanks again
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Tripower delight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You need to work the crimp fastener off, install the cable loop, and put the crimp back on. If memory serves, I used a 1/4" deep socket to push mine on.
I got it Mike Thanks again
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripower delight
I got it Mike Thanks again
Glad you got it. For future reference, they are called a "push nut." I've also seen them sold as a "starlock push-on locking washer." To get them off, I will tilt it a bit, then twist it while pulling. It will very slightly score the pin it is on, but they come off easily. Prying them off will sometimes mangle them. You can buy 5 new ones for $1.49 at Zip. I believe there is supposed to be a push nut at both ends of the cable.

Get notified of new replies

To vent cable install

Quick Reply: vent cable install