C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb question about supercharger kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Albinosquatch
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb question about supercharger kits

Hello everyone, I am new to forum's as well as owning a corvette (14 stingray z51). I have been loving the car but find myself getting the mod bug so to speak.

I have been looking into supercharger kits and have determined I want a centrifugal type supercharger since I would like to still have drive ability and do some drag racing as well as running the car at the track(roadcorse). I'm between procharger kit and A&A kit. Help my newbself figure this out!

That being said which kit do you guys recommend? How much should I expect to pay for the kit? How much for Install? How much for the Tune? Do any kits have risk of overheating at the track? Have you guys noticed any change in reliability?

I don't plan on doing any other supporting mods right now and I already have a corsa catback already on the car.

Last edited by Albinosquatch; 07-16-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,063 Likes on 904 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by Albinosquatch
Hello everyone, I am new to forum's as well as owning a corvette (14 stingray z51). I have been loving the car but find myself getting the mod bug so to speak.

I have been looking into supercharger kits and have determined I want a centrifugal type supercharger since I would like to still have drive ability and do some drag racing as well as running the car at the track(roadcorse). I'm between procharger kit and A&A kit. Help my newbself figure this out!

That being said which kit do you guys recommend? How much should I expect to pay for the kit? How much for Install? How much for the Tune? Do any kits have risk of overheating at the track? Have you guys noticed any change in reliability?

I don't plan on doing any other supporting mods right now and I already have a corsa catback already on the car.
I have run several SC kits/systems/manufacturers over the years. Both of the kits you suggested are great....but that said, I went with ECS and the Novi 1500 kit. Best Bang for the buck kit on the market IMO.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Albinosquatch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
I have run several SC kits/systems/manufacturers over the years. Both of the kits you suggested are great....but that said, I went with ECS and the Novi 1500 kit. Best Bang for the buck kit on the market IMO.
Hey Nitro-C5 thanks for the response. Can you shed some light as to what made you go with the ECS kit? Do you ever take the car to a roadcourse or drag strip? If so how did it perform (any overheating issues)?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Both kits mentioned are good kits. We just did the A&A kit last week on a Stingray. With the stock manifolds, we made just over 600 wheel. I'd have to double check but installed and tuned you'd be in the $8K range depending on the options you selected with the kit.

This type of supercharger would do fine on a road course. See the above mentioned system and the others we offer HERE

Let me know how I can assist.
best regard
Antonio Velarde

Last edited by JDP Motorsports; 07-16-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Albinosquatch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports
Both kits mentioned are good kits. We just did the A&A kit last week on a Stingray. With the stock manifolds, we made just over 600 wheel. I'd have to double check but installed and tuned you'd be in the $8K range depending on the options you selected with the kit.

This type of supercharger would do fine on a road course. See the above mentioned system and the others we offer HERE

Let me know how I can assist.
best regard
Antonio Velarde
Hey Antonio,

Thanks for the pricing information.

Do you have any ideas as to why someone as chosen A&A over Procharger or vice-versa?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hey Nitro-C5 thanks for the response. Can you shed some light as to what made you go with the ECS kit? Do you ever take the car to a road course or drag strip? If so how did it perform (any overheating issues)?
To be very clear as I said before both A&A and Procharger Directly are both good options as well...and I have used both. I went with ECS for a few reasons. #1) They start with a Bigger Blower than A&A on their base kit #2) The kit makes the most amount of torque all all base kits on the market (this has been backed up by several dynos #3) for an equivalent size blower from A&A or Prochager (D1) those kits will end up being a bit more expensive. #4) Both Chris and Doug are top notch guys. I actually spoke with Chris for about 30 mins straight asking him all sorts of questions and combos....and my tuner did the same wiht Doug. #5) My tuner does almost exclusively Procharger, but even he recommended ECS as long as I didn't want to get into the 1000whp range as the ECS is really pretty turn key. #6) I am going to run Meth to help support the fuel and feel their dual nozzle kit is pretty bullet proof. #7) I live on the East Coast and if need be (not that I would) I feel I could get a litle better service if I had a problem with install or brackets down the road.

I do HPDE and AutoCross but for the most part this is going to be a street car that I will play with at the track occasionally. With my calculations a Novi 1500, with Headers, Hi flow cats, LT4 Pump and Meth I should be ~660rwhp in that range and still be safe.

Like I said hard to go wrong with any of these kits, but I feel if you are going to be in the 8-12lbs boost range on stock pistons and Meth and want a pretty turn key set up...very hard to beat ECS.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nitro-C5:
Albinosquatch (07-16-2018), DOUG @ ECS (07-20-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Albinosquatch
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all this great info everyone. I was talking with pro charger face to face at a recent car event and they told me other kits will over heat at the track(road course, not auto cross) very quickly and they bought the competitor kit and did in house testing to prove this. They said it overheated within a few laps and that theirs would not.

Im trying to determine if they are blowing smoke and just trying to boost their own product or if there is truth to it. Really would like to hear from someone who actually regularly tracks their car with one of these super chargers. What tuneing software are you guys using as well? I see the kits may just come with one???
Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Thanks for all this great info everyone. I was talking with pro charger face to face at a recent car event and they told me other kits will over heat at the track(road course, not auto cross) very quickly and they bought the competitor kit and did in house testing to prove this. They said it overheated within a few laps and that theirs would not.

Im trying to determine if they are blowing smoke and just trying to boost their own product or if there is truth to it. Really would like to hear from someone who actually regularly tracks their car with one of these super chargers. What tuneing software are you guys using as well? I see the kits may just come with one???
I've had an ECS kit for 3 years and it's never overheated once on me. They're full of it. It's because they never designed a horizontal mount IC for the common kit and the others did. So procharger says the horizontal mount will overheat.

They all make great kits. My opinion I think ECS or A&A is 1A and 1B. I chose ECS early on because they give you the bigger blower novi 1500 and have a restrictor plate design to allow you to grow into more boost and power. ECS's service is great, but A&A's is also.

Where procharger shines is with the F1X. Neither ECS or A&A can really compete with that blower. If you're looking for stupid power I would lean procharger. If you're looking for common power 500-600 wheel choose between ECS and A&A.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (07-20-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

One other point is the base Procharger kit comes with a standard tune that should be tried and true if perhaps a bit conservative, and a device to load it. Not so with the others. So you’d have to spring for a custom tune and find someone you trust. Not saying it is better, just another detail. And I am not sure I believe your Procharger guy. They even say on their website that their kit with vertical inter cooler is ok for a few pulls but will probably overheat with sustained road course track use. They list their horizontal inter cooler for 2014 models only.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Albinosquatch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C7&7
I've had an ECS kit for 3 years and it's never overheated once on me. They're full of it. It's because they never designed a horizontal mount IC for the common kit and the others did. So procharger says the horizontal mount will overheat.

They all make great kits. My opinion I think ECS or A&A is 1A and 1B. I chose ECS early on because they give you the bigger blower novi 1500 and have a restrictor plate design to allow you to grow into more boost and power. ECS's service is great, but A&A's is also.

Where procharger shines is with the F1X. Neither ECS or A&A can really compete with that blower. If you're looking for stupid power I would lean procharger. If you're looking for common power 500-600 wheel choose between ECS and A&A.
Have you taken your car and ran it at the track (road course)?

Also what tuners/software are people using, or suggest using?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

For me I went with procharger because its the easiest to install. I am doing it myself right now, that will immediately be THOUSANDS less assuming all goes well.

The supplied tune will be a lifesaver. I can always get it retuned when/if I add anything else.

If I say I can install the procharger but not the AA, then the money thing matters.

Procharger is no cutting or relocation of brake parts as well! Good luck!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I went A&A and could not be happier. A&A will give you a base tune as well if you ask and have someone to upload it via HPtunners. My local shop Tick performance sells and install the a&A with tune for $5500. I did not do that as I bought my kit used for $3600 and installed myself and then had them tune it for $500. I make 638whp and 606tq with meth running 3.47 pulley. Andy at A&A was always there when I called and treated me as if I bought the kit from them new.mA&A customer service is beyond fantastic! If I was buying new it would either be A&A or ECS.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1
I went A&A and could not be happier. A&A will give you a base tune as well if you ask and have someone to upload it via HPtunners. My local shop Tick performance sells and install the a&A with tune for $5500. I did not do that as I bought my kit used for $3600 and installed myself and then had them tune it for $500. I make 638whp and 606tq with meth running 3.47 pulley. Andy at A&A was always there when I called and treated me as if I bought the kit from them new.mA&A customer service is beyond fantastic! If I was buying new it would either be A&A or ECS.
Wow, I paid the 5500 for just the procharger unit myself! (not installed)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I chose A&A. I started with the Si (small blower), upgraded to the Ti (mid size) and now have upgraded again to the Ysi (big boy). When I was working on install of the Ysi I had questions and called the shop at like 10 or 11pm EST (7-8pm PST) and Andy answered the phone (well after they were closed, and he was at home) and talked with me for like 20 minutes to make sure he answered everything for me. Do I need to say any more than that about their customer service? Josh is also great. He has hooked me up with my Ti and Ysi kits at great prices. When I bought my first blower used from another member, I was missing a couple pieces so I called and Josh not only got me the parts I needed, but sent them to me for free no questions asked. If I ever go to Cali i’m taking those guys out for a couple beers..
Old 07-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I would be curious which of their competitors' kits they were working with.

Did he specifically say it wasn't one of the roots style kits?
Old 07-20-2018, 04:23 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Procharger is well... just being Procharger. Any of the kits with a horizontal intercooler has the exact same cooling stand point as each other. I actually do not know of any kits other than Procharger that uses a vertical intercooler for that very reason.

We offer a base file with any kit purchase, just mail in your ECM when you start the install and we will send right back with a file loaded so you do not need to pay for an expensive transferring device or have a friend with software.

Also our 2200X kit has produced 1200 RWHP on the same brackets that the base kit comes on, very few are going past that but for those who do want more than that there is a new head unit coming out soon that is capable of 1500 HP that has the same mounting points as the 1500/2200HD/2200R/X.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Let me also chime in on the STELLAR customer service from ECS. During my build, I reached out to Doug because I knew they sold Mantic clutches and I damaged the O-rings for the throwout bearing spacer. Doug was kind enough to send me some proper sized O-rings (very tricky size NOT available at your regular hardware stores) and he did it free of charge knowing I was an A&A customer. ECS and A&A are the go to folks for supercharging your Vette!

Ant

Get notified of new replies

To Newb question about supercharger kits

Old 07-21-2018, 08:58 AM
Albinosquatch
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Nexxussian
I would be curious which of their competitors' kits they were working with.

Did he specifically say it wasn't one of the roots style kits?
He actually specifically mentioned A&A and ECS kits, which made me very surprised to hear and part of the reason of me starting this thread
Old 07-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

He actually specifically mentioned A&A and ECS kits, which made me very surprised to hear and part of the reason of me starting this thread
As I mentioned prior (and several others have confirmed) you cannot go wrong with A&A and ECS....period. Both of those companies have built amazing reputations in the industry and especially on this forum. Procharger makes great units (I had an F1R on my previous Vette) and I'm not saying the Pro charger Rep is full of BS...but if he said that, then yeah he is. Ironically what you wont here is either A&A or ECS bashing other kits as they are stand up folks and professionals. Call them and you will see the difference.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I recommend the A&A kit. Better balancer, quality parts and fantastic customer service. Do NOT let them talk you out of the Ti head unit for the S1 unit. You may decide to turn it up down the road and the Ti upgrade cost me $2,000. Install is easy. Finding an experienced tuner is the only difficult part. Don't get greedy with power, keep it conservative around 600 as the ringlands on the pistons are as fragile as peanut brittle.

Quick Reply: Newb question about supercharger kits