C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which auto A/C system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default Which auto A/C system?

I know this has been done before, and I have searched and read a bunch of them, but now I need the latest and greatest info.

Who has the best aftermarket auto A/C system for a mid year coupe that did not originally come with A/C?

Vintage Air?

Classic Auto Air?

Old Air Products?

Someone else?

WHY?

Now, throw in the statement that I would like to use a new / remanufactured GM A6 compressor (one of the new ones from ALMA products with the double lip seal) and see if that changes your answer any?

Or, tell me why using the A6 compressor is a really bad idea.

I am AT THAT POINT. Time for me to make a decision.

Last edited by emccomas; 07-16-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 246 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not trying to steal your thread jv04,

Very interested in opinions or experiences as well, except mine is for a 1962.

BH
Old 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Not trying to steal your thread jv04,

Very interested in opinions or experiences as well, except mine is for a 1962.

BH
The more the merrier
Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Vintage air by far. put one on my 63
Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrtexas
Vintage air by far. put one on my 63
Why VA?

Did you look at CAA or OAP?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:54 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by jv04
Why VA?

Did you look at CAA or OAP?
I looked at the others but was 5 years ago. VA looks stock
and works very good. It requires you replace the entire heater box.
They also supply vents for both sides of the radio. None of the
vendors supplies the stock location small vent above the clock.
Look at pictures of my install. Dash doesn't have to be out for install
BTW but mine happened to be. I moved the battery to the driver's side
as well for better access. All move the alternator to driver's side.

My install is not the current generation VA but close: do a search, many
posts on VA. Frankie the Fink installed a current version VA on his split recently.
New version has electronic controls of vents while mine still has mechanical controls.
VA uses the stock heater controls.

https://63c2verte.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 07-16-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

After seeing several A/C setups in Corvettes I went with Vintage Air. I was a first time installer and it took 4 days (part time). I just thought the setup had the best integration of components. Plus you get a real defroster and a kick *** heater. I wrote up a list of “tips” for people installing the system in a mid year.

I wasnt bent bent up over using an A6 compressor the size of a torpedo. That won’t fool anybody about what you’ve done.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:16 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
After seeing several A/C setups in Corvettes I went with Vintage Air. I was a first time installer and it took 4 days (part time). I just thought the setup had the best integration of components. Plus you get a real defroster and a kick *** heater. I wrote up a list of “tips” for people installing the system in a mid year.

I wasnt bent bent up over using an A6 compressor the size of a torpedo. That won’t fool anybody about what you’ve done.
Frankie you need a heater in Orlando? Not here in Texas!
Old 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

I live here in Tampa, FL. I have a black/black 66 coupe. Needless to say, we get 90 degree plus days in summer for about four months. I installed a VA cable controlled system about 10 years ago. The install took me about 20 hours and if I did it again, I could do it in about ten. If it cooled any better, I would have to wear a jacket. At night I cannot use the system on anything but low. I added a solenoid to keep the RPMs up at idle. I used Classic Auto Air for my Chevelle to upgrade and refurbish hoses etc. The system works well, but not like the VA system. Jerry
Old 07-16-2018, 07:08 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Or, tell me why using the A6 compressor is a really bad idea.

I am AT THAT POINT. Time for me to make a decision.
I won't say using the A6 is a really bad idea, but even if you do, your car will not look exactly as if it had factory A/C. So you could use a Sanden, as VA supplies, or perhaps the Pro6 Ten, which is an aluminum unit shaped like the A6. It may even be offered with a black finish, or you could paint it yourself. Either way (Sanden or Pro6 Ten), you'd save a lot of weight.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My 66 had Old Air installed when I bought it 6 years ago. It had an A6 compressor that was converted to 134. It started leaking Freon about 3 years ago. I replaced it with the Pro 6 Ten that is offered my Old Air. The system works well. I wish the center vents worked better and the next time I am into my console that will be fixed. The Old Air system doesn’t take up any glove box space but does hang down in the passenger foot well area.

My main reason for using the Pro 6 Ten is that it mounts on the A6 brackets and uses the same hoses. Old Air told me the performance of the Sanden and Pro 6 Ten were the same. Also, the Sanden and Pro 6 Ten pull 3-4 hp vs about 12 for the A6. I am on my second summer with the Pro 6 Ten and it works as it should. I do not have overheating issues and with my top up I never use more than the medium speed. On really hot days I put the top up and leave the windows down. It makes for a nice ride.

Most of the folks on this forum have used the VA system and appear to be very happy with it.

Last edited by MarkC; 07-16-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I live here in Tampa, FL. I have a black/black 66 coupe. Needless to say, we get 90 degree plus days in summer for about four months. I installed a VA cable controlled system about 10 years ago. The install took me about 20 hours and if I did it again, I could do it in about ten. If it cooled any better, I would have to wear a jacket. At night I cannot use the system on anything but low. I added a solenoid to keep the RPMs up at idle. I used Classic Auto Air for my Chevelle to upgrade and refurbish hoses etc. The system works well, but not like the VA system. Jerry
My '67 Chevelle also had Classic Auto Air - it didn't compare to the Vintage Air at all - it worked, but barely adequate -- but then Chevelles are big cars inside...

Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I have 2 VA systems. One for my 66 GTO that is operational. And one for my 61 I'm currently building. I had a few minor issues but obviously not enough to keep me from buying the second time. Theirs is a very good product. I'm not familiar with any of the others. I certainly would check with VA before making the decision to use a different compressor. I used the Sanden 7 piston they suggested. I will be using different vents than they offer for the 61. For my goat I bought all original factory air vents. It's not like looking for one for a 63 but I spent $500 just on the center dash vent buying and getting it rechromed.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

OK< to be honest, I am leaning heavily toward the Vintage Air system, and forgetting about the A6 compressor.

But I do want to figure out how to add a center vent, assuming it is a reasonable (cost and effort) idea.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
Frankie you need a heater in Orlando? Not here in Texas!
i was down there for the spring Emerald Coast cruise in in 2017. It was cold as hell one night!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

OK< to be honest, I am leaning heavily toward the Vintage Air system, and forgetting about the A6 compressor.

But I do want to figure out how to add a center vent, assuming it is a reasonable (cost and effort) idea.
I've seen some remove the clock on the cars and run an A/C round nozzle through the opening....as to installing a factory style center vent - I don't know if anybody reproduces those or originals are around. I added a center vent to the steel dash (like factory) in my Chevelle and it was a bit nerve-wracking but it did just fine and looked decent..

Seriously though - if you're worried about air distribution the Vintage Air does the job without the center vent:

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-17-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I went to boot camp in Orlando in the 70’s. There were some very cold mornings!

I have Hotrod Air in my ‘61 (they are now out of business). It works well, but a friend with VA in his ‘62 will freeze you out. He’s no help, though, as he says he went with VA only because they are here in San Antonio.

Get notified of new replies

To Which auto A/C system?

Old 07-17-2018, 02:37 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The center vent louvre and bezel come from LIC. Use a dremel tool to blow the dash hole out and drive the purists crazy. Love mine. BTW, no top controls.

Vintage Air works great.

Last edited by 65Bob-bo; 07-17-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add
The following users liked this post:
bbison (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:52 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

I went with Vintage Air and it's worked great. I can't speak for the other units.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I agree. Why would you want to use that boat anchor for a non original A/C install?

Quick Reply: Which auto A/C system?