C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 PM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts
Default powder coating

Looking for a powder coat facility in the Tampa Bay area that specializes in wheels. I want to change my gloss black grand sports to a satin or matte black. Appreciate any suggestions for shops.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I'm not much help, but I am curious as to why you are changing from gloss. I'm about to have mine powder coated and I'm undecided whether to go gloss, satin, or matte. I think gloss would be easier to clean off, whereas matte would attract brake dust more. However, I'd prefer matte, or even satin for looks.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

You might be able to find some Centennial wheels for sale, then you could sell yours maybe for the same price. They are matte.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Cracked Conch
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Engine Armor Coatings painted my wheels and calipers. Both were fantastic jobs.
The following users liked this post:
ontime (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:34 PM
ontime
Racer

Originally Posted by Konrad
I'm not much help, but I am curious as to why you are changing from gloss. I'm about to have mine powder coated and I'm undecided whether to go gloss, satin, or matte. I think gloss would be easier to clean off, whereas matte would attract brake dust more. However, I'd prefer matte, or even satin for looks.
I have gloss black on them now and if the tires aren't all shined up it looks like they are just part of the wheel well. I like the satin look as my son did it on his Mustang GT. I have been fighting the rotor and brake pad orange rust after washing. Black wheels can be a real PIA to keep clean. I only have 13k on it so it sits quite more than it is driven.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM
ontime
Racer

Originally Posted by farmington
You might be able to find some Centennial wheels for sale, then you could sell yours maybe for the same price. They are matte.
yes looking at those just not sure I want the 19/20 combo. not a lot of sidewall left. I have tried to find 2009 Z06 spider wheels but scarce is an understatement.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:07 PM
ontime
Racer

Originally Posted by Cracked Conch

Engine Armor Coatings painted my wheels and calipers. Both were fantastic jobs.
Thank you I sent email to them tonight .Your wheels look great. what was the turnaround time and approximate cost if you don't mind telling me .if not that is ok . did you have the tires dismounted and mounted by a tire shop?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by ontime
Looking for a powder coat facility in the Tampa Bay area that specializes in wheels. I want to change my gloss black grand sports to a satin or matte black. Appreciate any suggestions for shops.
Sort of ironic, I'd like gloss instead of my matte, go figure huh
NSF PS I was quoted $500 to powder coat 4 wheels, of course that was 1 year ago so it probably costs more now, what doesn't ??

Last edited by Not So Fast; 07-17-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Konrad
Satin is pretty easy to maintain compared to my old chrome 3 piece wheels. I would assume gloss black could be as hard or worse than chrome.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 PM
ontime
Racer

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Sort of ironic, I'd like gloss instead of my matte, go figure huh
NSF PS I was quoted $500 to powder coat 4 wheels, of course that was 1 year ago so it probably costs more now, what doesn't ??
is your car blue? mine is all black and I have been on the fence about putting 19/20's on it but still really like the GS wheels. it looks good with the gloss black but it requires tire maintenance and then the stuff is all over the paint
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Cracked Conch
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ontime
Thank you I sent email to them tonight .Your wheels look great. what was the turnaround time and approximate cost if you don't mind telling me .if not that is ok . did you have the tires dismounted and mounted by a tire shop?
Its been quite some time since i had the powder coating done, but i recall the turnaround time being relatively quick on the wheels.
Id have no reservations telling you the price but i honestly don't remember any longer.
Yes i did have the tires dismounted and mounted by a tire shop. (Wheel & Tire Source)

Get notified of new replies

To powder coating

Quick Reply: powder coating