C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

headers touching heater box y ? HAVE GOOD MOTOR MOUNTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 PM
doireallylikemyvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers touching heater box y ? HAVE GOOD MOTOR MOUNTS

90 c4 new stroker build all new but block. my main problem beside the guy I payed to build it. Is the motor shifted badly to the right. touching headers to heater box n things. first thing harmonic balancer started rubbing we shimed it then put a smaller balancer on it ,now even with the shims n new motor mounts it still is crooked and leans touching headers . what the f is my frame coming loose? all I ever did was get on it a few times and not very hard. oh and ive fixed many oil leaks that has caused 2 fires.now it pushes the dip stick out. all any one can say is I hear ya. all parts r straight out of summit racing. And hears one you never heard. My hot wire fell off of the altinater resting on the front brake line it started 2 fires and burnt the rubber ends on both front brakes. dam is my car Christine or what? 10gs on motor and tranny alone . so it runs good leaks oil and my main problem is a leaning motor with good mounts THAT WILL SURLEY START ANOTHER FIRE. had this car 13 months been in the shop 6 months joy joy. and sum how I like it better then my 06 must thanks Robert S sorry about the spelling
Old 07-17-2018, 07:13 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Are they new motor mounts; what about tranny location?? No way the engine should sit crooked.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

"New doesn't mean good, it just means it hasn't been around as long"; contact "Churchkey" on this forum and ask about the solid motor mounts he sells for C4s.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 AM
doireallylikemyvette
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
"New doesn't mean good, it just means it hasn't been around as long"; contact "Churchkey" on this forum and ask about the solid motor mounts he sells for C4s.
yes brand new the look identical to the ones on it an the were not broke. I was told that was the problem by my no good machanic that wanted 250 to replace them. not so I did it. was a pain but I am figuring out y pay for sumthing u can do urself. I have been a body and paint guy for 32 years mainly paint but either way it wasn't the problem. so I shimmed them. help for a min next time I gave it sum gas it shifted again moving to the right. also the oil pan come to find out was not right when I got it from summit but the tech, said he motified it, now another thing that's starting to leak. and its setting on the the brake lines smashed between the cross member. he said well ya its gona rub. but I didn't when I put it together sumthing must have broken in the frame. what did you hit' ? nothing dam it I don't even have a solid 2000 miles on it it just keeps fn up .. fyi the cross member on the bottom side is bent in the center on the lower side but it has to have been that way cause I have not hit anything. so if the motor is supposed to set at say 12 o clock looking at it from the front of the car it sets about 1145 shims or no shims which I know I shouldn't need. so yes I'm still confused got a appointment at a shop with a frame machine gona measure things and look to see if anythings really broke if the guy can squeeze me in. lol I'm not really into goin under to far on jack stands it creeps me out. I know more rambling on.

the heart of my money pit
hopin somebody may have a opinion that I could use please and thank you. Robert S. Oak grove mo.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:20 AM
doireallylikemyvette
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Are they new motor mounts; what about tranny location?? No way the engine should sit crooked.
sorry tranny should b were it was originally but heck I don't know I'm just a painter this is new to me the motor n tranny part anyway. ive made them look pretty for years now I'm asking ?s I'm a very quik study if I can get the right answers. heck all I really want is to go show off my car burn allitle rubber and enjoy the car for a min , **** if I cant give it sum gas y have it . and believe me I'm not tearing up the car out of stupidity I'm 55 and a very good driver and really don t feel the need to brake stuff like a kid showing off. I cant make it past the driveway darnit. which is 800 ft but still.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 AM
doireallylikemyvette
6th Gear

solid mounts u think it will help I'm game
Old 07-19-2018, 12:27 AM
doireallylikemyvette
6th Gear

oh and thank u for responding
Old 07-20-2018, 09:30 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by doireallylikemyvette
90 c4 new stroker build all new but block. my main problem beside the guy I payed to build it. Is the motor shifted badly to the right. touching headers to heater box n things.
Holy crap your post is hard to decipher. I will tell you that the engine is offset to the right. When I added headers it hit the box on the passengers side. I sanded it down a little and added a copper heat shield to stop the plastic from cooking and creating that amazing plastic burning smell.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree, solid motor mounts or the old time way, chain the damn thing down'
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 AM
doireallylikemyvette
6th Gear

Well just spent the last five hours putting chrome molly motor mount bolts in with lock washers all 6 were loose. Still want solid mounts gona get me by for a day or 2 lol n motified one of tbe cross membet braces so they didnt rub the oil pan n brske lines. Dam i hate climbing under that thing i think im gonna dig a pit . Bbq or the vette lol. Ill keep my foot out of it for now. Solid mounts what will brake next . Thank u for responding . We have a 64 vette to dont drive it much dont want to f i up its 2 nice.

Get notified of new replies

To headers touching heater box y ? HAVE GOOD MOTOR MOUNTS

Quick Reply: headers touching heater box y ? HAVE GOOD MOTOR MOUNTS