C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth tank empties on startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:14 AM
AtlasInTheGym
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Meth tank empties on startup

Like the title says. I have an alky meth injection kit and sometimes when I start the engine the system floods with methanol. As far as I know the pump isnt kicking on causing it because tonight i turned off the controller and it did it a little bit. You can shut off the engine and it will stop.

red light on the control says on when I turn the ignition on. The indicator led stays off until moderate throttle and then turns green at 5 psi.

still very frustrating. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by AtlasInTheGym; 07-17-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 AM
dopefedz
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

sounds like something is wired up right.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:09 AM
AtlasInTheGym
Racer

Wiring is really straight forward on them. Supply power, ground, signal.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 AM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Bad relay stuck "on" possibly
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 AM
AtlasInTheGym
Racer

The command relay for it to spray in the controller?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:16 AM
bluewire
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you wired to the map sensor and if so is it still the stock sensor or a 2/3 bar sensor? If I remember correctly the stock sensor will cause the pump to constantly run when the system is powered on.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 AM
AtlasInTheGym
Racer

Originally Posted by bluewire
Are you wired to the map sensor and if so is it still the stock sensor or a 2/3 bar sensor? If I remember correctly the stock sensor will cause the pump to constantly run when the system is powered on.
It's actually running off the output from an AEM boost gauge. It reads out to 35psi, so I would assume it's a 3 or 3.5 bar sensor. I wasn't quite sure how to tap into my 2 bar map sensor that I have installed on the car, and this was really easy to tap into.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

How exactly do you have all this stuff wired together? Previously you stated that you had it wired "supply power, ground, signal" but that is not how to wire an AlkyControl kit. The 3 wires coming from the pump go to the PAC controller and then the PAC has two wires that go to the MAP sensor, two wires that go to the turn on LED and two larger gauge wires that provide power and ground to the PAC. Also, the MAP sensor used by the alky control kit uses a 5V reference, this may or may not be a part of your issue.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 07-19-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:45 AM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Is the nozzle lower than the reservoir? Talking to Bret, I learned that the engine can siphon the meth without a check valve if the nozzle is lower than the reservoir. Just a thought...
Old 08-03-2018, 05:28 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

If you want to try a little test, start with a full methanol tank. I would run the car some to make sure methanol is flowing and then park the car as you normally do. Without turning the key on, remove your lower charge pipe and be prepared to have methanol flowing out (wear appropriate PPE).
Keep in mind that with the charge pipe off, you may need to put the car back on level ground before it begins to flow out. If it in-fact does this, I would get a methanol-compatible check valve installed immediately. It needs to be on the output side of the pump as opposed to the inlet side because it's going to take some pressure to overcome whatever spring is inside the valve. If you already have a known working check valve in the system, you most likely need to adjust the system to come on at a higher input voltage. When the AEM controllers begin, they start out turning the pump very slowly with a PWM signal. It'll be virtually impossible to hear it running at this level with the engine running. If you want to prove this is the issue, remove either your nozzle or your entire charge pipe, start the engine and observe.

Bret
Old 08-05-2018, 10:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
How exactly do you have all this stuff wired together? Previously you stated that you had it wired "supply power, ground, signal" but that is not how to wire an AlkyControl kit. The 3 wires coming from the pump go to the PAC controller and then the PAC has two wires that go to the MAP sensor, two wires that go to the turn on LED and two larger gauge wires that provide power and ground to the PAC. Also, the MAP sensor used by the alky control kit uses a 5V reference, this may or may not be a part of your issue.
Plus IF IT doesn't have a good ground it will do the same thing, will pump the tank empty, ask me how I know that it happen with me on the c7 set up. Got a good ground work great then... But also had to chg out plugs and also the intercooler pump a ton into the intercooler...Robert
Old 07-25-2020, 12:57 AM
Kurt__z06
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Plus IF IT doesn't have a good ground it will do the same thing, will pump the tank empty, ask me how I know that it happen with me on the c7 set up. Got a good ground work great then... But also had to chg out plugs and also the intercooler pump a ton into the intercooler...Robert

so you had a bad ground on your install. Did it cause your pump to go on as soon as
you start the car and it went empty? I also have a c7 with alky meth kit. I turn the car on the led light is solid red and it sprays out all the methanol
Old 07-27-2020, 10:32 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt__z06
so you had a bad ground on your install. Did it cause your pump to go on as soon as
you start the car and it went empty? I also have a c7 with alky meth kit. I turn the car on the led light is solid red and it sprays out all the methanol
If you lose the ground reference on the MAP sensor circuit for the Alky system, it will pull the MAP signal high and think you're at max boost and begin pumping at maximum speed.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.

Get notified of new replies

To Meth tank empties on startup

Quick Reply: Meth tank empties on startup