Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How much power is 10% underdrive Balancer worth? What brand to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:30 AM
441LSXTT
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default How much power is 10% underdrive Balancer worth? What brand to get?

I was just curious how much power is a 10% underdrive balancer worth and what brand is good? I am in the process of building 468ci Ls7 n/a and was wanting to know how much power do they actually give you and is there any pros and cons. Thank you for anyone so
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Worth 5-10 whp. Only con would be a potentially low voltage scenario in idle. However being you have a serious build and will need to raise the idle anyway that’s not a concern. I’ve run an ati underdrive on all of my cars, good mod for when you Have everything already apart
Old 07-17-2018, 09:08 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

7.5HP +/-

Water temps rise a smidge, since it's spinning the water pump slower. Haven't noticed any voltage difference.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM
ambitin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayyyw
7.5HP +/-

Water temps rise a smidge, since it's spinning the water pump slower. Haven't noticed any voltage difference.
Maybe it was my imagination, but after having an underdrive pulley installed on my heads & cam C5, I felt the air conditioner didn't blow as hard or cold. I live in Houston and you need air conditioning 12 months out of the year. After the experience I had, I decided I'd never install another underdrive pulley.

Probably not an issue if you live somewhere cooler (and/or drier).
Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
Maybe it was my imagination, but after having an underdrive pulley installed on my heads & cam C5, I felt the air conditioner didn't blow as hard or cold. I live in Houston and you need air conditioning 12 months out of the year. After the experience I had, I decided I'd never install another underdrive pulley.

Probably not an issue if you live somewhere cooler (and/or drier).
I live in Austin, not much better, weather wise. I don't daily drive the car anymore so hard to say if there's a difference there or not. I do know that the a/c in my vette is still 100x better than the a/c in my beater Honda.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM
441LSXTT
Pro

I live in Dallas so I need cold air to. Lol
Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Starfish Prime
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had 10 under ATI on my 06 GTO and had no issues.
I am going with Dayco Powerbond one when my cam comes out. Just to try a different brand.
Still undecided if I’ll go the 10 under or not tho for My Z

Powerbond harmonic balancer
PBO81503SS10
PB1503SS

The PowerBond race series brings the advantages of bonded balancers to high revving and high horsepower street/race applications where an SFI approved balancer is required. PowerBond Race Series balancers have been tested beyond 21,000 RPM without failure.

Every PowerBond race series balancer features a precision CNC machined AISI 1045 forged steel hub bonded to an equally strong steel inertia ring. Advanced design mean that race series balancers are very light for an all steel product. In most cases they are only marginally heavier than the original cast iron balancer and generally much lighter than other all steel balancers on the market. The steel inertia ring on the race series models is positively protected against forward and backward movement. PowerBond uses our Race Series high pressure, low cure that features a natural rubber developed in our laboratory.

Every model has easy to read computer etched timing marks. All PowerBond race series balancers meet SFI specification 1

Old 07-17-2018, 12:15 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

I live in Phoenix, AZ so the issues raised by your Texas counterparts is valid here too. My opinion, not worth the investment for two big reasons for me....

1) accessories spinning slower at idle - I know that some feel that the increased idle that comes as a byproduct of doing a cam cancels out the slower accessory spinning, but in my hot environments I need my water pump and a/c working at maximum efficiency at idle or very low RPM's in traffic, where the minimal airflow thru the condenser and radiator really are problematic.
2) alternator output - again, with how finicky and dependent our cars are with electrical loads and stable power output demanded by all the electrical subsystems present in our cars, unless you put a higher output alternator on the car that can supply sufficient power at the lower rotational speeds at idle, you'll suffer. This includes the blower motor for your a/c system...not enough power to run the blower on high so the air doesn't blow out the the register like it should.

To me, not worth the saving of 5-10 HP via minimizing the parasitic losses from the accessories.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 07-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 PM
441LSXTT
Pro

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I live in Phoenix, AZ so the issues raised by your Texas counterparts is valid here too. My opinion, not worth the investment for two big reasons for me....

1) accessories spinning slower at idle - I know that some feel that the increased idle that comes as a byproduct of doing a cam cancels out the slower accessory spinning, but in my hot environments I need my water pump and a/c working at maximum efficiency at idle or very low RPM's in traffic, where the minimal airflow thru the condenser and radiator really are problematic.
2) alternator output - again, with how finicky and dependent our cars are with electrical loads and stable power output demanded by all the electrical subsystems present in our cars, unless you put a higher output alternator on the car that can supply sufficient power at the lower rotational speeds at idle, you'll suffer. This includes the blower motor for your a/c system...not enough power to run the blower on high so the air doesn't blow out the the register like it should.

To me, not worth the saving of 5-10 HP via minimizing the parasitic losses from the accessories.
i agree
Old 07-17-2018, 12:19 PM
redbird555
Drifting

ATI underdrive does not underdrive the ac at all since that portion of the pulley is the same size... and again raising the idle even 100 rpm cancels out any water pump loss or voltage loss at idle. its free hp if youre swapping the stock balancer which you should be doing anyway
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 PM
ambitin
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I live in Austin, not much better, weather wise. I don't daily drive the car anymore so hard to say if there's a difference there or not. I do know that the a/c in my vette is still 100x better than the a/c in my beater Honda.
Haha, funny, (before reading this thread) I was just telling my wife this morning how much better the air in my Z06 is than in her Porsche SUV. No comparison.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:29 PM
ambitin
Drifting

Originally Posted by redbird555
ATI underdrive does not underdrive the ac at all since that portion of the pulley is the same size... and again raising the idle even 100 rpm cancels out any water pump loss or voltage loss at idle. its free hp if youre swapping the stock balancer which you should be doing anyway
So it does not affect the fan blower or the compressor? If so, it must have been my imagination or maybe my car coincidentally needed some A/C repairs!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Drew03tx
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny y'all are mentioning the ac on these cars, I remember thinking you could freeze meat in the freaking thing even with the temp outside 100+
Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by ambitin
So it does not affect the fan blower or the compressor? If so, it must have been my imagination or maybe my car coincidentally needed some A/C repairs!
No it doesn’t affect the compressor with na ATI as I just stated. And it should not effect the blower if you raise the idle like you would do anyway with a cam.....
Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM
ambitin
Drifting

Originally Posted by redbird555

No it doesn’t affect the compressor with na ATI as I just stated. And it should not effect the blower if you raise the idle like you would do anyway with a cam.....
Thanks for the info. In my case, my memory was that my A/C didn't blow as hard after I installed the underdrive pulley. This was over 15 years ago. No idea if my idle had been adjusted, I just know my HC C5 FRC was still a smooth daily driver but could do mid-11s at the drag strip: what a fun car. Still love my C6 Z06 more if only because it is red .
Old 07-17-2018, 05:39 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfish Prime
I had 10 under ATI on my 06 GTO and had no issues.
I am going with Dayco Powerbond one when my cam comes out. Just to try a different brand.
Still undecided if I’ll go the 10 under or not tho for My Z

Powerbond harmonic balancer
PBO81503SS10
PB1503SS

The PowerBond race series brings the advantages of bonded balancers to high revving and high horsepower street/race applications where an SFI approved balancer is required. PowerBond Race Series balancers have been tested beyond 21,000 RPM without failure.

Every PowerBond race series balancer features a precision CNC machined AISI 1045 forged steel hub bonded to an equally strong steel inertia ring. Advanced design mean that race series balancers are very light for an all steel product. In most cases they are only marginally heavier than the original cast iron balancer and generally much lighter than other all steel balancers on the market. The steel inertia ring on the race series models is positively protected against forward and backward movement. PowerBond uses our Race Series high pressure, low cure that features a natural rubber developed in our laboratory.

Every model has easy to read computer etched timing marks. All PowerBond race series balancers meet SFI specification 1

Don't make the same mistake that I made and buy this one, PBO81503SS10. It is a 10% OVERDRIVE balancer and you will lose whp. It also weighs in excess of 12lbs because it has a bigger diameter and you will lose a little more because of the weight. I had this balancer on my car for 8 months and just realized my mistake. I will have one for sale in a few months if you are still interested.

Just buy the ATI 10% underdrive and be done with it.

Last edited by lamboworld; 07-17-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How much power is 10% underdrive Balancer worth? What brand to get?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How much power is 10% underdrive Balancer worth? What brand to get?