Sponsored by:

Buying from RockAuto parts vs Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Default Buying from RockAuto parts vs Amazon

I made my first purchase from rock auto for my Corvette September 2017 and no problems, saved quite a bit over autozone.

Was always leary of "what if you get the wrong parts? Etc"

This April I ordered a complete CV Shaft for a Kia for my brother, it was about 35.00 for a brand new unit, before shipping, autozone was about 85.00, same order got a timing belt for that same Kia, 15-17 or so bucks, 50.00 or so at autozone.

Hey rockauto is awesome!

The 2001 Kia Sephia was my girlfriend's stepdad's car who recently passed away, and a ugly car(the paint is all faded and wasn't washed ever when old man owned it, think Saul Goodman's Suzuki car, except one solid color) but about 96,000 miles, her mom and her said they would junk it when I asked what they were going to do with it, I said can I have it?

GF talked me out of it because I have the 1999 corvette and my 1965 C10 pickup, and a 1994 grand am, so I hated to see it go to junkyard, I had done a lot of maintenance work on it for old man and knew it was good, so gave it to my brother in Texas.

Free car with working a/c, heater, runs and drives good, good mpg, just needed a little more maintenance.

Replaced CV shaft, water pump, timing belt, changed oil and filter, flush and replace coolant, he drove it home.

He said the back brakes needed replacement so I recommended rockauto since I had good luck and saved a lot.

They sent correct rear drums, but wrong shoes that are too big, apparently if they send wrong parts, the customer pays to ship them back.

Their argument is they sent right parts, customer just messed up.

No phone, just email.

I felt like a idiot for recommending them to him.

So I'm in the market for new A/C compressor and related parts, have checked autozone, O'reilly rockauto and someone on another thread about broken ac in Phoenix put up a link for Amazon AC parts kit for C5.

RockAuto and the link for Amazon have the best prices, but I think Rockauto is a gamble now.

Autozone has "limited" lifetime warranty on compressor if I flush it and have proof of buying flush stuff.

I'm disappointed that Rockauto has poor or zero customer service if you get wrong parts, apparently it happens to people often, there is a thread in vendor stories or whatever that sub forum of Corvette Forum is called with same issues as my brother had.

I bought my coolant tank and idler pully with bolt and dust shields or metal washers that flew on car on road trip, from Amazon.

Does anyone know if Amazon takes care of customers if say the wrong part was sent?

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 07-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Also, on Amazon maybe I'm looking in wrong area, but you can't just go there and put in your car's information to look up parts.

I find parts on Amazon randomly, example I look up autozone or rockauto, find part number and google that part number.

Then I may or may not find a link for Amazon with that part.

Is this how other's find car parts on Amazon?

GF's mom has Amazon prime, I found just on Amazon the LMC5 was actually cheaper than their Amazon prime, I would forward her link and she would see the higher price on her phone, and it was prime.

The link I sent was replaced, I kept trying it, being at her house.

Ended up ordering it for even less through Compliance Parts, and their shipping was reasonable.

Is there a better way to look up car parts on Amazon and Amazon prime?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:40 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I have had great experience with Amazon. Best price most of the time and free 2 day shipping because I am a Prime member. I bought an EBCM for my '01 for $500 and free shipping. The cheapest elsewhere was $750.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I use amazon a lot too... free and fast shipping for prime members and no questions asked on returns if something is wrong, in many cases they will send out a replacememt before you even send the original back while most other companies will wait until they receive the part back from you before sending the replacement
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

Sometimes Rock gets pricey with shipping, free shipping can mean as much as $40.00 savings. I always shop the best deals, right now Ebay has a $25.00 off coupon with free shipping and thats a home run for me.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 AM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I always shop between rock auto, amazon, auto zone and o reily. I compare the prices with tax and shipping. I have not had an issue with rock auto or amazon, but i normally compare their part number with the local auto parts number, or by using the part manufacturers catalog.

some things have been more convenient to buy local, and other items have saved me $100 plus by buying from amazon and rock auto..
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I like RockAuto but their shipping practices/charges are extremely annoying. Oftne parts are in different warehouses and you get charged separate shipping charges for each. They have a tool where it tries to help you pick parts coming from the same warehouse but it's got bugs and doesn't work properly a lot of the time.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 07-18-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
I made my first purchase from rock auto for my Corvette September 2017 and no problems, saved quite a bit over autozone.

This April I ordered a complete CV Shaft for a Kia for my brother, it was about 35.00 for a brand new unit, before shipping, autozone was about 85.00, same order got a timing belt for that same Kia, 15-17 or so bucks, 50.00 or so at autozone.

Hey rockauto is awesome!

The 2001 Kia Sephia was my girlfriend's stepdad's car who recently passed away, and a ugly car(the paint is all faded and wasn't washed ever when old man owned it, think Saul Goodman's Suzuki car, except one solid color) but about 96,000 miles, her mom and her said they would junk it when I asked what they were going to do with it, I said can I have it?

GF talked me out of it because I have the 1999 corvette and my 1965 C10 pickup, and a 1994 grand am, so I hated to see it go to junkyard, I had done a lot of maintenance work on it for old man and knew it was good, so gave it to my brother in Texas.

Free car with working a/c, heater, runs and drives good, good mpg, just needed a little more maintenance.

Replaced CV shaft, water pump, timing belt, changed oil and filter, flush and replace coolant, he drove it home.

He said the back brakes needed replacement so I recommended rockauto since I had good luck and saved a lot.

They sent correct rear drums, but wrong shoes that are too big, apparently if they send wrong parts, the customer pays to ship them back.

No phone, just email.

So I'm in the market for new A/C compressor and related parts, have checked autozone, O'reilly rockauto and someone on another thread about broken ac in Phoenix put up a link for Amazon AC parts kit for C5.

RockAuto and the link for Amazon have the best prices, but I think Rockauto is a gamble now.

Autozone has "limited" lifetime warranty on compressor if I flush it and have proof of buying flush stuff.

I'm disappointed that Rockauto has poor or zero customer service if you get wrong parts, apparently it happens to people often, there is a thread in vendor stories or whatever that sub forum of Corvette Forum is called with same issues as my brother had.

I bought my coolant tank and idler pully with bolt and dust shields or metal washers that flew on car on road trip, from Amazon.

Does anyone know if Amazon takes care of customers if say the wrong part was sent?
Two things here,

First, I've returned several parts to RockAuto, and for other parts, they've refunded and told me to discard the incorrect parts. You have to be very careful and answer the questions in the "return" process honestly but accurately. If you ordered an incorrect part, then you will get stuck paying return shipping. If they shipped the wrong part, they take care of the replacement, and if they want the part back, they pay the shipping.

They ask questions like "Is the part number on the box what you ordered?" and "does the part number on the part match the part number on the box?" If you answer in a way that everything is correct and you got what you ordered, you'll get stuck paying the return shipping. If you answer something that is "wrong" and clearly not because of your actions, they pay the return shipping or tell you to discard the part.

Amazon has a better return policy and an easier process for returns.

Also, RockAuto used to include a phone number with their confirmation emails. They still answer that number. If you need the number, PM me. They also respond to emails to service@rockauto.com. If a return is questionable, I either call or email before I try the automated system. Emails work well, and you can attach pics of the old part and the part they sent. If the pics are visibly different, I've never had them refuse a return/replacement at no cost to me for return shipping.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

He probably messed up then, he said the box had same part # as one he ordered, but I don't know if the shoes had a part number.

I looked up the part on rockauto and of course there were several choices for brake shoes, he picked the cheapest one, showed the same part number as the one on the box with the wrong shoes.

It's possible the manufacturer made a mistake and listed the part wrong.

Also maybe there are 2 different sized brake shoes and drums on that car.

Maybe I'll reconsider Rockauto.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 AM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

A couple of things. RockAuto is great price-wise if, and that's a BIG IF, you are absolutely certain the part number is correct. Even if you use their lookup tree and they list a part as the only part available for the exact vehicle, and it turns out THEIR system is wrong, it's going to hit you hard to get the part replaced. They are absolutely horrible in that regard as they definitely do not accept their incorrect listings as a valid reason for any consideration on return costs and shipping. I've gotten stung twice, and now make sure I verify everything with third parties before ever placing orders with them.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

He probably messed up then, he said the box had same part # as one he ordered, but I don't know if the shoes had a part number.

I looked up the part on rockauto and of course there were several choices for brake shoes, he picked the cheapest one, showed the same part number as the one on the box with the wrong shoes.

It's possible the manufacturer made a mistake and listed the part wrong.

RockAuto.com will own that mistake (incorrect listing by the manufacturer), but you have to either send an email with photos attached or make a call (and then send email with photos attached). Send pics of:
  1. The parts you took off the vehicle (the "correct" parts even if they are worn out/damaged)
  2. The parts they shipped (note, one pic with both parts for #1 and #2 is great, especially if differences are visually obvious)
  3. The vehicle
  4. If possible, the VIN sticker from the door or door jamb area
It helps a lot if you ordered the parts specifically for that vehicle in the RA catalog (the vehicle will be shown on the order, the packing slip, and everything else). Like I said, several times (at least 3 come to mind, possibly more), I've had that exact situation (part #'s on box and parts matched order, but RA catalog was incorrect that these parts fit the vehicle), and I've gotten full refunds and either shipping labels or told to discard the parts. If they are "close out" parts, you're likely to have very little fight, and very unlikely to have to ship them back.

Send pics to the service@rockauto.com address, with text describing the situation, I bet he'll get a full refund.
Also maybe there are 2 different sized brake shoes and drums on that car.

Maybe I'll reconsider Rockauto.
That is common. There's always enough info on RockAuto.com's catalog (sometimes under the "Info" button and popup) to tell if there are differences between different parts. If there are two listings from reputable brands, whether the description on the catalog page shows the difference (Corvette example, "with Heavy Duty brakes" and "except heavy duty brakes" or "standard brakes") or whether the "Info" pages show the details (different diameters and/or thicknesses), there's enough info to pick the correct part. If the info was there, but I missed it, I own the mistake and feel stupid about not checking closer.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i use rock auto all the time and have good success they are my go to place...having said that i do cross reference parts numbers out my *** to make sure what auto zone/advance auto and rock auto are recommending are the same part and i never cheap out on the parts.

it will take a lot for me to abandon them since the pricing is so good......like was said sometimes shipping will surprise you but go in eyes wide open and do your due diligence
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

My experience with RA has all been good. I ordered some parts for my K1500 and they were quite different from OEM. Mine's a Work Truck (W/T) and they have a lot of unique body parts. RA admitted their catalog might be wrong and told me to toss the bad parts. Like others have said, I always crosscheck with one the OEM parts suppliers to double check numbers before ordering, and then see who has the best deal. But, you can still get bit. I ordered the outer plastic trim for my driver's seat cushion from a supplier on here, and it was not the same as the OEM. It seems that GM had added an extra attachment point compared to the one on my car. Nothing a Dremel could not take care of, but annoying, as I had very carefully specified the year.

Worse, was a forum member telling me that they all had the extra attachment point, with the inference that I was blind (or stupid). The moral of this story is that you need to double check what you read here. Some posts (especially "instant" diagnoses) turn out to be more opinion than fact. C5's are not that simple to diagnose - that's why the repair manuals are so huge.

BTW, these people: www.clipsandfasteners.com are great for trim clips and fasteners, Have used them a number of times for multiple vehicles, with absolutely no issues.

Last edited by jackthelad; 07-18-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 PM
My1stONE
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Amazon Returns

Hey rockauto is awesome!

No phone, just email.

I have been buying parts from Amazon for the last three years and I have been very happy with them. I have gotten wrong parts or damaged parts a few times and it wasn't any problem returning them with Amazon paying for the shipping cost. I'm a Prime Member at a cost of $9.95 a month and it's the best ten dollars I've spent. Everything I ordered is almost always Free shipping!!! Even the couple of AC compressors I have bought. You know how heavy those are. I get 98% of all my parts from them and they have warehouse deals where returned items are sold for outrageous discounts. I buy some stuff for my C5 not because I need it now but because I can't pass up the discounted price for things like AC Delco professonal grade belts for $5.00 that is for the AC. You can cancel the membership anytime as you are not involved in a contract. I have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars that is better in my pocket than there's!!! Give it a try I'm sure you be happy with the results.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:10 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by My1stONE
I have been buying parts from Amazon for the last three years and I have been very happy with them. I have gotten wrong parts or damaged parts a few times and it wasn't any problem returning them with Amazon paying for the shipping cost. I'm a Prime Member at a cost of $9.95 a month and it's the best ten dollars I've spent. Everything I ordered is almost always Free shipping!!! Even the couple of AC compressors I have bought. You know how heavy those are. I get 98% of all my parts from them and they have warehouse deals where returned items are sold for outrageous discounts. I buy some stuff for my C5 not because I need it now but because I can't pass up the discounted price for things like AC Delco professonal grade belts for $5.00 that is for the AC. You can cancel the membership anytime as you are not involved in a contract. I have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars that is better in my pocket than there's!!! Give it a try I'm sure you be happy with the results.
Amazon really has their sht together. It amazes me sometimes. I ordered something yesterday and it came in the mail this morning. Prime is a great deal and has saved me a bundle.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny71 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:51 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

I'm having a hard time deciding between rockauto and autozone on a/c compressor kit.

Rock auto including 5% off and shipping, will send a brand new GPD brand compressor, orifice tube, receiver drier, and o ring/seal kit, one year warranty $166.54.

Autozone with lifetime warranty compressor kit Santech brand 291.99 plus tax, roughly $317.00.

It's like buying a insurance policy.

Lifetime warranty compressor is nice if it ever fails again, what would others choose?

Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

I'm having a hard time deciding between rockauto and autozone on a/c compressor kit.

Rock auto including 5% off and shipping, will send a brand new GPD brand compressor, orifice tube, receiver drier, and o ring/seal kit, one year warranty $166.54.

Autozone with lifetime warranty compressor kit Santech brand 291.99 plus tax, roughly $317.00.

It's like buying a insurance policy.

Lifetime warranty compressor is nice if it ever fails again, what would others choose?

I'm not a fan of the "lifetime parts" from the discount national chains (Autozone, Advance, and similar). Usually those are the same cheap parts you get on RockAuto for about half the price. The "lifetime" part will fail, and they'll hand you the other one you paid for when the first one fails. I don't like doing the job again. That's the down side to those parts.

An alternate strategy would be to see whether you can get a higher quality (less likely to fail) part on RA from a known quality brand like AC-Delco, Denso or Delphi, or the actual OE supplier of the original part. My guess is that you can get that for close to the local price on cheap "lifetime" parts and have fewer worries and a longer service life.

Also, if this is the 1999 Corvette, and you don't know for sure which orifice tube you have, either buy both from RA (they're both inexpensive, less than shipping to return them), or get it local once you have your old one in your hand so you can get the one that matches.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 08-02-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying from RockAuto parts vs Amazon

Old 08-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Also, on Amazon maybe I'm looking in wrong area, but you can't just go there and put in your car's information to look up parts.

I find parts on Amazon randomly, example I look up autozone or rockauto, find part number and google that part number.

Then I may or may not find a link for Amazon with that part.

Is this how other's find car parts on Amazon?

GF's mom has Amazon prime, I found just on Amazon the LMC5 was actually cheaper than their Amazon prime, I would forward her link and she would see the higher price on her phone, and it was prime.

The link I sent was replaced, I kept trying it, being at her house.

Ended up ordering it for even less through Compliance Parts, and their shipping was reasonable.

Is there a better way to look up car parts on Amazon and Amazon prime?
Just as info, I've used Amazon many times and had no problem finding the parts. You can either do an internet search for Amazon and the part name, or go to the Automotive Parts and Accessories section of Amazon and you'll see multiple breakouts (engine, filters, brakes, etc). You can store your car or cars in "your garage" on the site and just click on whatever car you need the parts for when you search.
The only time I had a return was when I ordered the incorrect part. In that case I paid the return shipping which seems fair to me. I did receive something I didn't order one time. I contacted Amazon and tried to return the item (low cost) and they just told me to keep it. I didn't need it so I donated it.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Rockauto has a compressor kit that was great for me. Works awesome.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:37 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I bought rock auto shipping is costly. I found Napa a local parts store you can exchange with no question. Also you are helping your local parts store who pays taxes in your area.

Quick Reply: Buying from RockAuto parts vs Amazon