C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Harmonic Balancer Death Wobble Replacement Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM
beachbum5011
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Member Harmonic Balancer Death Wobble Replacement Parts

First off, the people on this forum have been great so far, very helpful!

I recently purchased a 02 coupe 6spd with 75K and am experiencing severe harmonic balancer death wobble, coupled with the noise that goes along with it. I've been researching replacements but am still getting mixed reviews. Can people chime in and give advice on what they think I should replace with? Also, If anyone can provide the total parts list of what I need so I can just bring the supplied parts to the mechanic, that would be greatly appreciated!. I am leaning towards ATI for a one and done application, but for the price is it overkill? Also, what other items do you guys recommend, since the steering rack will be out? I was thinking water pump, anything with the rack? anything else I am missing?

Thank you
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

ATI is good. Never have to do it again. I've personally used powerbond. Any future goals? Reason I ask is after you take the balancer out your only a handful of bolts away from the cam. 😉
Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 AM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Get a balancer and ARP bolt. Water pump is not a bad idea while your there.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM
beachbum5011
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 99blkfrc99
ATI is good. Never have to do it again. I've personally used powerbond. Any future goals? Reason I ask is after you take the balancer out your only a handful of bolts away from the cam. 😉
I am leaning toward the ATI, with APR bolt. No big power goals other than headers, X-pipe, axel back. But your comment about the cam has peaked my interest.....decisions, decisions. What cam would you suggest for street-ability?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends. If you're doing the work yourself an OE Balancer will probably last 5-7 years or more before you have to revisit it and can be had fairly inexpensively. But, even the new ones have a slight wobble. ATI is a great balancer. A lot more money and a little more work. But we install pinned ATI dampers with all of our supercharger builds and if a customer has any performance mod aspirations we recommend it so that the supercharger option is open in the future. If it were my car and I knew I was never going to put a blower on it. I'd go back with OE. If I thought there was a chance I'd mod it or if I drove a ton of miles I'd put an ATI on it. Get a new bolt. OE or ARP. OE has sealant on it that I like and I'm used to them but the ARP is fine as well you just have to add your own silicone sealant. If you are doing it yourself invest in the flywheel holding tool. Lots of vendors for those out there now so no reason to try and work around it.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 AM
beachbum5011
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
In your earlier thread you mentioned that you had a dealer inspect the car prior to your purchase. If you do actually have a balancer that is badly wobbling and it was NOT reported to you, it says VOLUMES about the Stealership you went to. I think MOST on this Forum would advise you to find a shop that specializes in Vettes. Check them out with local Vette owners, preferrably with owners that have C5's and newer. The C5 was GM's first entry into an all electronic Vette and that alone means you need knowledge of the issues the C5 has. DEFINITELY stay away from a Stealership. Most of the Tech's they tend to employ have never seen a C5 let alone be knowledgeable of their quirks. JMHO
Here is the backstory. The car has been sitting for a bit, and I probably should of done more research on here before making the purchase decision. ie (look for all the bad quirks in the C5). Anyway, I suggested we take it to the closest Chevy Dealer, Richard Lucas Chevrolet (Avenel, NJ). They performed a "diagnostic service, and multipoint inspection". Horrible experience to say the least. The service manager, Harry, hung up on me and said it "wasn't his problem" when I called him asking for assistant as soon as I got home, after and bringing these problems to his attention. I explained to him that paid for service that I felt like I did not receive, and I asked what the next step was? No answer, this is why I am so bitter about the situation. I am not pointing all fingers at them as, I am still responsible for buying the car, but the dealership didn't even advise me of the codes that I found in the DIC later last night thanks to a fellow forum member, slo yelo c5. Anyway, thanks for all the help and in a few weeks I'll look back at this and be smiling as the sun is shining down, targa off, as I am shifting gears!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 AM
beachbum5011
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Russell Boulding
Depends. If you're doing the work yourself an OE Balancer will probably last 5-7 years or more before you have to revisit it and can be had fairly inexpensively. But, even the new ones have a slight wobble. ATI is a great balancer. A lot more money and a little more work. But we install pinned ATI dampers with all of our supercharger builds and if a customer has any performance mod aspirations we recommend it so that the supercharger option is open in the future. If it were my car and I knew I was never going to put a blower on it. I'd go back with OE. If I thought there was a chance I'd mod it or if I drove a ton of miles I'd put an ATI on it. Get a new bolt. OE or ARP. OE has sealant on it that I like and I'm used to them but the ARP is fine as well you just have to add your own silicone sealant. If you are doing it yourself invest in the flywheel holding tool. Lots of vendors for those out there now so no reason to try and work around it.

Thanks Russell, what about the powerbond HB?? better than GM, but less than ATI?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 AM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Originally Posted by beachbum5011
I am leaning toward the ATI, with APR bolt. No big power goals other than headers, X-pipe, axel back. But your comment about the cam has peaked my interest.....decisions, decisions. What cam would you suggest for street-ability?
well, I didn't want to start a snowball here, haha. But if you plan on headers and such, you should get a tune also. So if your getting a tune you mine as well get a cam. Snowball starts. Anyways, you could just get a nice upgrade like a 224 or something. Not too crazy but pickup 25 or 30 horsepowers.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 AM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Even an LS6 cam would be a nice little upgrade. Just depends on your budget and what you want out of the car.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Originally Posted by beachbum5011
Thanks Russell, what about the powerbond HB?? better than GM, but less than ATI?
I don't particularly care for Dayco the parent company of Powerbond. Just personal anecdotal experience, your mileage may vary. And my normal practice is OE or the best the aftermarket has to offer. I don't typically deal in the in between or budget stuff. Some people like them I don't have much experience with them to give an educated opinion.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Can anybody provide a FULL list of all parts needed for a balancer replacement? I did mine a while ago. If i remember, it was a...

balancer itself, crank seal, Loctite blue, belts (x2 --serpentine belt and accessory belt?), ARP bolt...and aren't there 1 or 2 other miscellaneous parts needed for the balancer replacement?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

There are alot of post's on the Forum about the OEM junk. Most ppl use the Powerbond PB1117N (stock size) and the ARP bolt 234-2503 and a new GM front seal
Old 07-19-2018, 12:31 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

There are a couple other "while you're in there items" you should do:

Steering rack bushings, and front crankshaft seal (cheap). Also possibly the front balljoint boots and motor mounts after assessing their condition.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

I know a lot of people hate on the OEM. I install them for a living and here is my observation. When an OEM part lasts 100k miles "it is junk" when an aftermarket part lasts 50k miles "that's as good as you could ask for". There's definitely a double standard in my observations. Most of the OEM balancer failures are happening at around 60-70k miles and a lot of years. Many make it beyond that. But time plays a role. Rubber and adhesives have a working life and nothing lasts forever. In this case the OEM provided 16 yrs and 75k miles. Hardly worthy of being described as junk. And the OE powertrain warranty was 3yr/36k miles three times the Dayco warranty and less than half as long as the part actually lasted. I don't doubt the powerbond pulley. I don't have enough data to recommend it. We've seen ATIs hold up to supercharger build where others have failed so we prefer those in that application. We have a lot of evidence to support OEM balancers going at least 10 years and 60k miles. We don't have the same body of evidence for the Powerbond although there is a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting it as a quality product. I think any of the three is a good choice. Just wanted to offer my defense of the OE part that while not being top notch is certainly not worthy of the derision it gets. You can't expect a component that has rubber and adhesive as part of its construction to last indefinitely in that environment.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Read this thread about using a new OEM part, post #6 has all the info in it
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...it-or-not.html
Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smoken1
Read this thread about using a new OEM part, post #6 has all the info in it
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...it-or-not.html
That's kind of my point. That is a one off failure. It is one sample among millions of possible data points. It is statistically irrelevant. And my warranty is 3yrs/36k miles and I've never replaced one under warranty, a lot more data points than just one. And have serviced many of the same vehicles for 100k miles and seen failures consistent with the mileage obtained by the original part. Not knocking powerbond at all. I don't have the data to back anything up. Their reputation is very good and wouldn't recommend someone not get that brand. I've just decided that in my shop if we deviate from the OEM design we are going to go all the way and get an ATI balancer. That comes down to preference. I'd put the OEM on my own car in a second. If someone gifted me a powerbond I'd install it without reservation as well. If someone gifted me a Dayco belt or an ACDelco belt for an LS1/6 I'd chuck either and buy a Continental Elite. It comes down to experience and preference. I get really good prices on OEM parts and I would discourage anyone from counting out the OEM balancer based on internet hype. But, the powerbond has a solid reputation.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 PM
pjensen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One more data point.

I have a 2004 Corvette C5 with 171,000 miles on it. It is a daily driver. It still has the original harmonic balancer on it. I've marked it, looking for slippage and checked it for wobble. None so far.

That said, I bought another OEM harmonic balancer as I was expecting trouble (from reading the forum posts). I think I got my money's worth on the original....

Get notified of new replies

To New Member Harmonic Balancer Death Wobble Replacement Parts

Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Below is a quote taken from Kurt Urban, who is a wealth of technical knowledge and historical information on the LS1 and its development and racing. Take from it what you will, but I used the ATI when I replaced mine. The ATI can also be rebuilt. You send just the dampener section back to ATI and they will rebuild and return. So the ATI should be a lifetime installation. Note that because the ATI is in pieces, you don't have to "pull" it to remove the dampener, it simply unbolts from the hub.

"We did test all the popular dampers then (2001) and the ATI was best followed by the stock one if your rpm was under 7000."
Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 AM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Careful if you are going to do the water pump!!!

There were 2 variations of the water pump used on the C5. The original version has a completely different T'stat cover and T'stat than the later version. The two parts are NOT interchangeable. You need to first figure out which pump the car has and then determine which pump you will be getting. If you go rebuilt then there is a 50/50 chance of getting either. If you go NEW then it is highly unlikely you will get the older style as they haven't been produced since about 2004. Read the following for more info on the issues at hand:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-opening.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-subject.html
Not to hijack but for future referance: Does this mean for my 99 I need to get the NEW water pump with the NEW style thermostat and thermostat cover? Don't need them yet but I'm sure i will eventually. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

As my post indicates, you need to check FIRST. The threads I linked show the old and new style pump T'stat cover and T'stat. Easy to identify what is on your car from the pictures. Also in the links are info on the T'stat opening both old and new style. When you purchase the replacement pump you will be able to determine what the new pump is.

For new pump (ie NOT a re-manufactured pump) it WILL BE the new style pump body that requires the new style T'stat and new T'stat cover. If your car already has the new style T'stat cover then you are all set. If your car has the old style T'stat cover then you need to order a NEW style T'stat cover and NEW Style T'stat. The old parts will NOT SEAL if you try to mix them with the new style pump.

If you order a re-manufactured pump it is a crap shoot as to whether you will get the old style or new style pump body since there are tens of thousand old style cores in the system that can be re-manufactured. Measure the diameter of the opening for the T'stat on the pump body of the re-manufactured pump. The diameter for the OLD style will be 2". The diameter for the NEW style will be 1 7/8" (actually 1.86" if using a vernier caliper.) Simple rule to follow from that point on. OLD style body needs OLD style cover and T'stat, NEW style body needs NEW style cover and T'stat.

Thank you GM for creating this mess................
Sorry, I think what I meant to ask is if I buy the new pump, tstat and housing they will be compatible with the car, regardless of what pump i currently have, yes?

Quick Reply: New Member Harmonic Balancer Death Wobble Replacement Parts