C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front skid plate wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Front skid plate wheels

Friends,

I have been enjoying the hell out of my C6 for almost a month. However, my driveway is killing the bottom of the front bumper. I've tried entering/exiting the driveway at an angle, and it helps, but it still getting a scratched bottom bumper no matter what I do. A buddy of mine just suggested these Front Skid Plate Wheels by West Coast Corvette.
Does anybody have experience with them? Are they worth buying? Any other suggestions??
Many thanks in advance.

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...te-wheels.aspx
Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda
Friends,

I have been enjoying the hell out of my C6 for almost a month. However, my driveway is killing the bottom of the front bumper. I've tried entering/exiting the driveway at an angle, and it helps, but it still getting a scratched bottom bumper no matter what I do. A buddy of mine just suggested these Front Skid Plate Wheels by West Coast Corvette.
Does anybody have experience with them? Are they worth buying? Any other suggestions??
Many thanks in advance.

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...te-wheels.aspx
If you back into driveway it makes quite a difference and may not touch
The following users liked this post:
JoeMatilda (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 03:23 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Change your driveway paving. My wife and I had to fix a divet in the concrete, and added asphalt into a rut. We would have done more than that, if there was not already a bunch of concrete added years ago to change the angle from the street to the drive. This was still not as much as I did when she bought a brand new Mustang GT-CS back in 2014: I built and entire new garage for it as quick as I could ... in July.
JoeMatilda (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:25 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by irok
If you back into driveway it makes quite a difference and may not touch
Thanks for the reply.
I thought about this too, but Because of a number of resons, I have to park in the right side of my garage. If I back into the garage, I will not be able to open the door and exit the car. Lol.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by vezePilot
Change your driveway paving. My wife and I had to fix a divet in the concrete, and added asphalt into a rut. We would have done more than that, if there was not already a bunch of concrete added years ago to change the angle from the street to the drive. This was still not as much as I did when she bought a brand new Mustang GT-CS back in 2014: I built and entire new garage for it as quick as I could ... in July.
Thanks for the reply.
haha this is why I was asking about these wheels, because their price/install would be a lot cheaper and easier than redoing the driveway... or building a new garage!!! Lol
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Looks like things attach to your radiator supports. Those supports are not that strong and adding wheels to them implies that at some point they will be supporting the entire car for a foot or so. Not a good idea if you ask me. They are also lowering the point which the ground will impact the supports. Easy enough to snap those things without using them to support the car. I would rather have scrapes where nobody can see them than having to replace the radiator support bracket.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 07-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by HBsurfer:
cgladish (07-20-2018), JoeMatilda (07-19-2018), TCW (09-14-2022)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Looks like things attach to your radiator supports. Those supports are not that strong and adding wheels to them implies that at some point they will be supporting the entire car for a foot or so. Not a good idea if you ask me. They are also lowering the point which the ground will impact the supports.

ok, Thanks! I was wondering where they attached to the car. I may be better off living with the existing hard to see scratches under the car than risking messing up with the radiator supports.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:49 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

I have had very good results with the "Fangs" that SacCityCorvette.com sells. They are a vendor here and the "Fangs" fasten on to the radiator supports making them very slippery as they scrape something. In the past week I felt them ride up on, and help the Corvette ride over a bump that would normally made me cringe!!

I, and friends of mine, love 'em.
JoeMatilda (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:16 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by See5see6
I have had very good results with the "Fangs" that SacCityCorvette.com sells. They are a vendor here and the "Fangs" fasten on to the radiator supports making them very slippery as they scrape something. In the past week I felt them ride up on, and help the Corvette ride over a bump that would normally made me cringe!!

Thanks for the reply. I will check them out.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by See5see6

Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

It’s all about angles. One wheel at a time reduces drag.
JoeMatilda (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Are you scraping the radiator supports, or just the bottom of the valance/spoiler? If it is just the spoiler, don't worry about it. It is plastic, and will not be hurt by the scraping, other than a slight feathering on the edge that is hardly noticeable. If it is the radiator supports, then you do want to try some of the fixes listed by others, especially angling your approach, if possible.
JoeMatilda (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Ok, thanks for the responses.
I just got under the car and noticed that the plastic under the nose, around the spoiler, is scratched. I also noticed that the radiator supports are VERY scratched. Part of my problem now is that I can't tell which scratches are mine and which ones were made by the previous owner. My plan now is to move the car to the edge of the driveway and try to see what part is actually rubbing against the pavement. If it's the radiator supports that are touching the ground, then I will look into those "Fangs" as See5See6 suggested. If It's the plastic next to the spoiler, I will try to enter the driveway from the North instead of the South as I do now. Hopefully the different angle will help.

your suggestions have given me a couple of things to look for as well as more options. Many thanks!
I will let you know what I find out and what I do about it.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...lowering the point which the ground will impact the supports...
I completely agree. Even the fangs will reduce the clearance a little. The time or two my rad supports scraped trust me, there was no stickiness, it slid right over it. As far as the fangs covering existing scratches...would you put on sheepskin seat covers to hide upholstery wear? Nah.
JoeMatilda (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Spray some black paint on the radiator supports, this can tell you if you are scraping the support or not. It will scrape the new paint away.
For the underside of the bumper I used some blue painters take to see if I was scraping the bottom of the bumper or just the plastic front splitter.

I have a pretty tricky driveway as well. Not only steep but a narrow entrance, I have to come in from North side or else I can't get in. But with a little work I was able to finally get a feel for the correct angel to use where I no longer scrape anything at all most of the time.
JoeMatilda (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:16 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default scraping

Looks like things attach to your radiator supports. Those supports are not that strong and adding wheels to them implies that at some point they will be supporting the entire car for a foot or so. Not a good idea if you ask me. They are also lowering the point which the ground will impact the supports. Easy enough to snap those things without using them to support the car. I would rather have scrapes where nobody can see them than having to replace the radiator support bracket.
I agree 100%. if it's the bumper directly, then you might have a concern. if it's the lower radiator support, that would be a bigger concern.
if it's the air dam, no worries, that's why their flexible ( center section ). the outer sections, while not as flexible are at least attached in a way that lets them flex upon contact. as they appear to made from polyethylene, this is a great material for abrasion resistance.

JoeMatilda (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Search "curb ramps." This might be a solution for you. NOTE: This is only a random image I found on the internet. I don't have it or have any experience with it.

Last edited by RadarP3C; 07-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.
JoeMatilda (07-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Front skid plate wheels

Old 07-20-2018, 02:56 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I completely agree. Even the fangs will reduce the clearance a little. The time or two my rad supports scraped trust me, there was no stickiness, it slid right over it. As far as the fangs covering existing scratches...would you put on sheepskin seat covers to hide upholstery wear? Nah.
My thoughts regarding the fangs were about installing them to prevent additional damage, if they are the ones touching the ground. They are not visible under normal circumstances so I wont try to cover them just for the sake of covering them.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:58 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Spray some black paint on the radiator supports, this can tell you if you are scraping the support or not. It will scrape the new paint away.
For the underside of the bumper I used some blue painters take to see if I was scraping the bottom of the bumper or just the plastic front splitter.

I have a pretty tricky driveway as well. Not only steep but a narrow entrance, I have to come in from North side or else I can't get in. But with a little work I was able to finally get a feel for the correct angel to use where I no longer scrape anything at all most of the time.
Thanks. I like your idea. Will do the paint and tape to figure out whats rubbing against the ground. It beats the hell out of my wife moving the car up and down while im on all four next to it... lol
Old 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

My thoughts regarding the fangs were about installing them to prevent additional damage, if they are the ones touching the ground. They are not visible under normal circumstances so I wont try to cover them just for the sake of covering them.
Hi Joe,
The Fangs are more then just a cover, they help prevent the lower radiator support from breaking and the skid bars from denting. They are made of a high tech plastic that acts like a bearing surface allowing the Skid Plate to slide over parking blocks, etc. instead of the soft Aluminum digging in and getting traction causing the Skid Plate/Lower Radiator Support to break. Being only 1/8" thick, there is no noticeable ground clearance loss. Here is a link with more info and videos. http://www.saccitycorvette.com/C6-Fangs.html
Thank you,
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
JoeMatilda (07-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Front skid plate wheels