Sponsored by:

Should I Repair Before Selling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM
mariobro1954
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Repair Before Selling?

I'm currently trying to sell my 72 as we have a 15 month old now. I've had my 72 for 6 years now and been driving it in the summer time every year.

I have it currently listed at 16,500.

So here is what I'm debating.

The nose has a crack by the passenger side headlight and the passenger front wheel opening lip was damaged. (most likely from a blown tire at some point). I have a patch section for the wheel opening lip (so I don't have to create one from scratch). If I repair it, I'll most likely do the fiberglass work my self and then have the nose painted at a body shop.

So should I do the repair?
If I do, what do you think it would be worth after the repairs?
If I don't do the repairs, am i asking to much for it now?

Here is a link to the for sale post.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-driver.html

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you figured out how much it would cost to make the repairs as you describe? Chrome bumper cars are only going up in value. If you are not in a big hurry for the money, I'd spend a little time doing the repairs. You might be turning away prospective buyers that don't want to deal with a car with body damage. Also, you should spend a little more time documenting what you have - what is the 4 speed (look up the numbers), how about that fancy aluminum radiator? What's the specs on the crate engine? The more folks know about the car up front (especially highly modified cars) the more comfortable they will be considering it.
Check Hagerty and Corvette DNA for pricing and average between the two for a good baseline price. You'll get tons of opinions on that here.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I wouldn't fix it. You have it listed at a great price. I paid $18500 for my 72 and yours is much nicer. If someone had to put $2500 into it to fix it they still would be getting a good deal on the car. Good luck.

Last edited by 540 vette; 07-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I do not think you would recover the cost of the repairs.

But I am not an expert.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I do not think you would recover the cost of the repairs.

But I am not an expert.

Its kind of impossible to predict the potential buyers you might run across, but I’d prefer the car be left as is. Buyers love to buy things cheaper. If someone is going to spend the money anyway, they might want to have their own people do the work, maybe even do other paint work at the same time. Not to mention the job might not come out exactly as you want or the cost might be a bit more than you guessed. By then, it’s too late.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I would fix the rear exhaust area first....The proper exhaust tips along with the chrome pieces would go along way in make the car look more correct. Shouldn't be all that expensive of a fix.....I'd leave the body work to the next owner.

Brian
Old 07-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Price & car look nice. I wouldn't touch it - you'll never recover your time/cost and the repair will delay your potential sale date by however long it takes you to complete it.
And unfortunately you'll have lookers that think you're trying to hide something with making that repair but not correcting other "stuff". The only way to win is do nothing.
Someone with more time and money will take it off your hands.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

My advice would be to try selling it "as is" first. If you find that the damage issues are preventing its sale, have it fixed and try again.

Many potential buyers are capable of minor repairs & paint; or they may want to paint the car a different color, anyway. Getting the car with some minor damage, but at a better price, might be attractive to them.

I would not start the sale process with any repairs.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mariobro1954
I'm currently trying to sell my 72 as we have a 15 month old now. I've had my 72 for 6 years now and been driving it in the summer time every year.

I have it currently listed at 16,500.

So here is what I'm debating.

The nose has a crack by the passenger side headlight and the passenger front wheel opening lip was damaged. (most likely from a blown tire at some point). I have a patch section for the wheel opening lip (so I don't have to create one from scratch). If I repair it, I'll most likely do the fiberglass work my self and then have the nose painted at a body shop.

So should I do the repair?
If I do, what do you think it would be worth after the repairs?
If I don't do the repairs, am i asking to much for it now?

Here is a link to the for sale post.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-driver.html

Thanks!
AS someone like myself that is looking for another C3 I don't want to buy someone else's attempt at repairs just to sell. I would then most likely have to re-do the repair to my standards. Most people that get the repairs done for show just to sell are cheap and poor quality repairs. With your car as is there are less surprises to the buyer and for me I don't like surprises after I buy. I would sell "AS IS" make sure it's at least drivable.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 07-20-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

It is a 72 car. Just about everything has been repaired once. I doubt people will think you did a repair just to hide something and scam them. IF you can do glass work WELL then fix it. If you think you can figure it out as you go, leave it alone and include the patch piece with the car. Better yet, keep the car and teach the 1.25 year-old glass work...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:21 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Is the car paid for? If it is then DON"T SELL IT BECAUSE YOU HAD A BABY. That's my advice.
I actually bought mine a month before my first son was born. I knew if I waited until after he was born I'd never fulfill my life long dream of owning a Corvette.
I still have it and this fall my son is off to collage. Not even collage will pry the steering wheel of my Corvette out of my hands.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:03 PM
mariobro1954
Cruising

Thanks for all the replies.

I paid cash for the car when I bought it.
I had the car inspected to ensure it was ready to be driven, everything except tires where good to go. (I put new rims and tires on)

As far as the repairs, I'm trying to sell it as is, but not getting much interest. I'm not in a rush to sell it, it stays at the house in the garage so I still drive it on nice days. (I take my daughter to daycare and then go back home to switch cars before going to work) If I repair it, I would be patching it and painting the front clip. I know some guys would rather just buy a whole new nose for it (which is going to cost a couple thousand more), so I don't want to do work and someone else tear it back apart.

As far as owning a corvette, I'm not locked in on owning one. I had a 1954 Chevy pick, that I had put a 5.3l out of a 2001 silverado, with a 4l80e trans. I had that truck for over 10 years. I like the idea of having a corvette, but I also like the idea of like a caramo, firebird, chevelle or something like that where the whole family can cruise around in.

And thanks for the replies, it sounds like I'll leave it as is for a while (keeping it for sale) and decide later if I still have it in a year or two.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:32 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Mario,
I noticed you ad when you first posted it in March. If you have some specs on the engine it would help. Did it have the original ralleys on it and do you still have them? I'm looking for another C3, but not ready to pull the trigger. My wife insists I need to sell my Model A first and I haven't made any moves to make that happen. I think it your 72 should sell, although the damage may turn some buyers off. You might get an estimate so buyers will know whats involved. Based on some body work I just had done, I'd guess 3 grand for a 1st class job. GLWS
Old 07-22-2018, 08:14 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I must be in the minority. I remember seeing the ad when it first posted and YES that damage made me click away. Finding someone to fix these old cars will be a challenge for some. I would take just about any other repair before I would tackle a Corvette body repair. Engine, transmission, brakes, interior, etc. are no threat to me. I would buy a car for the nice paint and fix all the rest. Paint just costs too much. As for the question regarding economics - You might not get all the money back if you do repair it but I believe the car will sell faster.

I really like the car BTW. Good luck with the sale.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 PM
mariobro1954
Cruising

Thanks again for all your comments, I did sell the car today. If you really want to know what I sold it for PM me. Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:16 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by mariobro1954
Thanks again for all your comments, I did sell the car today. If you really want to know what I sold it for PM me. Thanks!!
Bummer.
You don't have to tell us what you sold it for but was it north or south of your asking price in the OP?

Get notified of new replies

To Should I Repair Before Selling?

Quick Reply: Should I Repair Before Selling?