C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Princefan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter question

I am confused by too much information (what else is new).

Can anyone tell me what parts I need to switch yo a Hurst Comp shifter (4 speed in a 66) and what I need to do to retain the original T-lock out reverse handle?

Will the unti take my existing handle or do I need a modified part?

Also, anybody do this mod on their C2 with thoughts good or bad?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:29 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Princefan
I am confused by too much information (what else is new).

Can anyone tell me what parts I need to switch yo a Hurst Comp shifter (4 speed in a 66) and what I need to do to retain the original T-lock out reverse handle?

Will the unti take my existing handle or do I need a modified part?

Also, anybody do this mod on their C2 with thoughts good or bad?
You will not retain the reverse lock out with a Hurst shifter. The Hurst will have a stronger gate spring to prevent, or at least strongly discourage, accidently selecting reverse. I have a Hurst shifter in my car and I'm very happy with it. Some like the feel of the original Muncie shifter but I doubt anyone will tell you it's as precise as the Hurst. They do make a OEM appearing shift handle to replace the Hurst handle that retains the appearance of the reverse lock out trigger and the trigger moves like the Muncie handle, but it's for appearance only. I have it on my car. Your original Muncie shifter handle will not fit the Hurst unless your saw them apart and weld the lower Hurst section to the Muncie handle (not advisable).

You will need a complete Hurst kit with rods and levers and it's advisable to buy a set of steel bushings to replace the standard plastic ones in the shifter levers and the transmission levers.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 07-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Princefan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dan. So does Hurst sell the replacement chrome handle? I couldnt find it on their site.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
You will not retain the reverse lock out with a Hurst shifter. The Hurst will have a stronger gate spring to prevent, or at least strongly discourage, accidently selecting reverse. I have a Hurst shifter in my car and I'm very happy with it. Some like the feel of the original Muncie shifter but I doubt anyone will tell you it's as precise as the Hurst. They do make a OEM appearing shift handle to replace the Hurst handle that retains the appearance of the reverse lock out trigger and the trigger moves like the Muncie handle, but it's for appearance only. I have it on my car. Your original Muncie shifter handle will not fit the Hurst unless your saw them apart and weld the lower Hurst section to the Muncie handle (not advisable).

You will need a complete Hurst kit with rods and levers and it's advisable to buy a set of steel bushings to replace the standard plastic ones in the shifter levers and the transmission levers.
Dan,

You can use the original shift rods from the Muncie. They are a tight fit but it can be done. I did it on my car. You cannot use the original reverse lever. You have to use the Hurst reverse lever in this setup The steel bushings are the only way to go on this setup.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Make sure you get a Hurst that is made for your C2. The reverse lever on the shifter will be a dog leg.
Joe
Old 07-20-2018, 03:21 PM
drdave69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered the shifter and rods (they are a separate part number) at the same time when I changed mine over and it was specific for a C2. It also came with a straight handle.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:32 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

The chrome faux Muncie shifter has to be bought from one of the regular Corvette parts houses. Hurst doesn't sell them that I'm aware of. I bought mine slightly used from a member but from memory I think they are around $120. But inflation may have gotten to them since I last checked. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ToySnakePMC (06-30-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter question

Quick Reply: Shifter question