C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to Straighten Stainless Steel Tubing

Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to Straighten Stainless Steel Tubing

Fellow Corvetters...

Several years ago I ordered a complete set of stainless steel brake and fuel line tubing from Classic Tube for my '91, but am just now getting around to unpacking it (purchased everything I'ld need before I began the rebuild). Imagine my surprise to find that many of the pieces were bent-double to fit in an already huge box! So now my problem is how to straighten stainless fuel and brake lines. A good quality straightener costs a small fortune and the cheapies work on only aluminum and copper tubing. My big fear is trying to straighten it by hand, and then permenently damaging it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:06 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
Fellow Corvetters...

Several years ago I ordered a complete set of stainless steel brake and fuel line tubing from Classic Tube for my '91, but am just now getting around to unpacking it (purchased everything I'ld need before I began the rebuild). Imagine my surprise to find that many of the pieces were bent-double to fit in an already huge box! So now my problem is how to straighten stainless fuel and brake lines. A good quality straightener costs a small fortune and the cheapies work on only aluminum and copper tubing. My big fear is trying to straighten it by hand, and then permenently damaging it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Tubing straigener

This one's not so bad.

Robert

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 07-20-2018 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on getting a bender or paying someone.
Trying to do it by hand almost guaranteed to instantly kink btdt.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Actually I have straightened the lines out by hand. I was helping an acquaintance on a full resto of a 73 Riviera boat tailed coupe that stainless lines were bought for from the above company. I was able to go slow and straighten them out.

However, that tool looks interesting to have as it will make straight lines. By hand you can't make them perfectly straight.

Last edited by drcook; 07-21-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,517 Likes on 2,783 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

The type of tubing used and the method of packing are both designed to be straightened by hand. Many have done it before you, so just take your time, don’t try to do it in one big bend, and once you are almost there lay it out work it into position.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Classic tube has a good video on how to unbend their tubing. I had to google it but can't get a U-tube link to cut an paste for you. Just google how to unbend tubing and look under videos for the Classic Tube video.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Follow-Up to Original Post

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
Fellow Corvetters...

Turns out it was no problem at all! A friend and I were easily able to straighten all the tubing by hand only. But thanks for everyone’s responses.

SnorT91Man

Get notified of new replies

To How to Straighten Stainless Steel Tubing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Straighten Stainless Steel Tubing