Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 corvette paint job

Old 07-20-2018, 07:01 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 1985 corvette paint job

Hi, my 1985 has some chips and peeled clear coat in some spots and I was wondering if there is anyone that would paint it for a reasonable price unlike paint shops. I’m not going to get it painted anytime soon but I just wondered if there is anyone hear who will paint it less than paint shops charge. I messaged Brian felts because he has done the cars I have seen good and can paint a c4 for around $2000 but he didn’t message back. The quality of the paint is good as in shiny but has chips and clear coat mess ups in some places. I’m in Ohio too by the way.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 07-20-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

2 K is a heck of a deal. Mine was$ 9.500 for a "best" paint job. My buddy that charges that, did mine for 4,500 plus the parts he had to buy..window sweeps, stuff like that/ .
Old 07-20-2018, 08:34 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I know, that’s why I messaged him but it says his last post was back in 2017. I don’t have the money for it right now but I would save up for it if I could find someone like him. Look up his name and see the paints he did. He was even in Ohio and did really good paint on classic cars, even the stripes on old chevelles. It just seems like there is someone who wouldn’t mind doing it that much and would charge for the parts around $1,000 plus around that for labor. I would do it if I knew how.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:03 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't you hate it when really talented people don't come running to do your bidding for a fraction of what it's worth?

​​​​​​​Back in the day, my grandfather painted his car with a brush.

How about you pick up a $10 HVLP gun at Harbor Freight and give it a shot yourself? Super cheap that way. Don't forget the masking tape!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

$2000 -- ??? -

my suggestion -

$2K will pretty much get you the top of the line maaco -
Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Yeah, i knew it would be hard to find someone that could paint it. I just wondered if there was someone like that Brian felts I was saying. He just did it when he got the time so he didn’t charge a lot of labor and said he didn’t mind doing it. I don’t think I could ever sand down the paint that is on it now. It has some mess ups but I would be thinking I wouldn’t be able to get it good and would always look bad. It is shiny now but has chips and a few clear coat peeling spots.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Joe C
Race Director

a guy I used to work with got his 1980 corvette painted at maaco. paid something like $2400 - they pretty much disassembled the car (door handles, mirrors, separated the bumper fascia's, etc.), and did a single stage (with door jambs) using a better quality paint (i'm thinking S-W) - better than the bulk 50 gallon drum stuff they typically use. the thing was nowhere perfect, but nice enough for a DD. honestly, I doubt the thing looked any better when it left the st. louis factory.

check out these googal images - https://www.google.com/search?q=corv...w=1920&bih=911

there's a "paint only" shop here in Daytona Beach, that will paint your car (paint only - single stage - no body work) for $2500. decent driver quality finish.

if you want better, did deep into your pockets or do it yourself -
Old 07-21-2018, 07:39 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, I have looked at the Maaco paint jobs and they look really good to me. If a paint is the right color and is smooth and shiny all throughout I can’t tell a big difference between a cheap and show quality paint job. I think I am going to call them to see what they say they will do it for and then I will save up to get this paint sometime. Do you think I would be better to sand the paint off the car myself or would it be bettter to let them do it? I have heard some people say that they only take a certain time sanding and if it’s not good enough then it will be sprayed anyway. Also, do you know what would need removed off the car? It has a stock-style spoiler so I’m sure that would have to come off but I don’t know how I would get it off and would not want to break it. I’m thinking I will get it painted sometime late this year or until after winter time.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I have heard people complain about Maaco but the only people who will actually show the pictures of their car is people who are satisfied and they look good so that makes me think that they usually paint the cars good.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I will ask them the price for the higher quality they offer because I want more than one coat of base and clear coat and I think the only bad paints they do are the “presidential sale” ones
Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,420 Likes on 2,790 Posts

My take on Maaco... do the prep work yourself, get the mid tier paint, be satisfied. Most of the cost of paint is in the prep work, and that's what separates a show car job from a scuff and spray job. Painting the car isn't the hard or time consuming part, especially on a full respray.

My c4's paint has seen better days too. I think when the time comes, I will sand it down and paint it myself with some cheap harbor freight stuff. It's a driver, and it's a chance to learn a new skill.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:31 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

That’s what I am thinking I will do when I save up enough. I will sand off all of the old paint and then I will tell them to remove whatever they think needs removed like the bumpers and I’m sure the spoiler would need removed. Then I will get the paint of base and clear coat, not just the one layer and I will tell them I will wait until their best painter can do it. I have read that other people have had better experiences this way. I wouldn’t remove the bumpers or spoiler myself because I would be afraid of breaking something. I had never heard of Maaco until you guys said it on here and was wondering how I would ever have enough for a full paint job because I wouldn’t want to pay as much as I paid for the car for just paint.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
My take on Maaco... do the prep work yourself, get the mid tier paint, be satisfied. Most of the cost of paint is in the prep work, and that's what separates a show car job from a scuff and spray job. Painting the car isn't the hard or time consuming part, especially on a full respray.

My c4's paint has seen better days too. I think when the time comes, I will sand it down and paint it myself with some cheap harbor freight stuff. It's a driver, and it's a chance to learn a new skill.
Maaco did a really good job on the wife's Scion xB. Time will tell how it holds up, but right now it's beautiful. And it was their cheapest offering (around $450)!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Good plan, block it best you can , take off what youre comfortable with (dont use too rough a grit)
Get a "good" maaco job, colorsand it a month later...unless you get a horrific job youd be surprised how expensive the paint looks. Thier paint is usually pretty hard so be patient.

Sold a 73 to a guy yrs ago he did just that, brought it by the car looked every bit of an 8k paint job, was surprised.
Be specific on pieces you dont want painted, tape/mark or put in writing etc.

After blowing 15k on a high end job that isnt all that great, the budget paint/colorsand is the route Id go especially if youre driving it. A single stage is just fine.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:07 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

the guy that did mine is a friend and he stripped off all the usual parts. you may want to take a course in body work at the local tec school and have it pained as a class project, or just drop by there and talk to an instructor. best of luck
Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Joe C
Race Director

anyone considering doing a home repaint check out http://www.tcpglobal.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgJ2NPD_BwE .
Old 07-22-2018, 04:37 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
$2000 -- ??? -

my suggestion -

$2K will pretty much get you the top of the line maaco -
I’ve had $2000 job from Maaco on my1988 Vert. Pretty nice job. No bodywork, just the clearcoat was failing. Very satisfied. Sherwin Williams paint. (no 55 gallon drums of paint being mixed with canoe paddles). I removed the emblems and rack. Didn’t removethe bumpers, they looked good painted in place. 5 years later still looks great. BTW franchise owner is a fellow AACA member.

Last edited by skyhawk50; 07-22-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Speling

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette paint job

Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, thanks for all of your input. I think I will take it to Maaco sometime and see what they say about painting it after I sand everything and take the emblems off. This way it would make it cheaper but I would want them to make sure it is sanded good because I know I wouldn’t want to remove the spoiler and they would have to sand the part under the spoiler that I can’t get. How much do you think the base and clear coat with would be with high quality paint? I was thinking around $1,000 from them after I sand everything off it already. Someone else has told me to take it to a tech college but I checked on that and don’t see where I could take it for a project. I can’t find a tech college anywhere.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 07-22-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Learn how to do it yourself and SAVE THOUSANDS!! I resprayed my car admiral blue. I also painted my old 3rd gen Camaro as well. Took a 2 year BOCES course in high school and it was WELL worth the time. I don't do bodywork or want to do bodywork for a living but I'm really glad I took that class.

The BOCES that I took the classes at you paid for the materials used and not the labor. The nice part is the instructors watch over you pretty consistently so screw ups don't happen all that often. If the kids screw up enough they just redo that panel.

Last edited by v8vette84; 07-22-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 AM
monte k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint

Hi, I just went through the same thing,$4000 up for a decent paint job,its a ton of hard work for sure,being hard headed,I decided i wanted to lear something new.
I boughtthe equipment,ifound a great paint supplier,TAMCO PAINT,the sure helped me lots grat people and Fantastic product.
In the end i probably had at least $1500 and that was using my sons compressor.
Not to count ALL THE HOURS sanding dissasembling,.
If i had the $4000 i would go that way,but at least im learning ,and I already looking for another project to paint.
its not show quality but very passable for
A driver
Monte
Anderson,IN

Last edited by monte k; 07-23-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 corvette paint job