Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Mike Phillips Autogeek Roadshow Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Raymond Grand Sport
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Mike Phillips Autogeek Roadshow Class

I was fortunate enough to get a spot in Mike Phillips Autogeek detailing class. In addition to the 3 day class he does in Florida, he is now doing one and two day road show classes in different locations around the US. He just completed one in Indianapolis, In, which I attended. I would give the class very high marks. Really well organized, printed and followed agenda, great instruction, representatives for Sonax, Flex, Pinnacle, and others in attendance. I was able to try several DA’s and orbitals from Flex, Griots, Rupes, and others. I was also able to chemically strip a car and apply a ceramic coating, which I had never done. The event was held in one of the garages at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum. I have attached 2 pictures, one is one their Facebook page. It is me taking a picture of a door I had paint corrected, final polished, and waxed. The second is a car of Tony George’s they had us work on after completion, a 71 Cadillac. The Autogeek website will tell you if a class is coming to a location close to you. At the end of the day a full review and critique, nice swag, and real $$$ credited to your Autogeek account to use as you see fit. Great day.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Very cool! Mike is THE man!
The following users liked this post:
Raymond Grand Sport (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice,....Tell us what you learned.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Raymond Grand Sport
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
Nice,....Tell us what you learned.
Main purpose of attending was to see if I could use an orbital. I still do all paint correction steps by hand. I was concerned that the mechanical advantage devices might get away from me and damage my paint. Unless I was sure, I was not going to use one unless I could be near 100% sure I could use an orbital with confidence. I left feeling confident and will purchase one. Some other general leanings as follows:

1) Waterless wash - I don't use enough towels. In general in all detailing steps I need more towels, they used many more than I use in every step.
2) Wheel and tire cleaning - they really scrubbed the tires, used an orbital with a brush on it. Wanted to ensure the tires were really clean before dressing.
3) Need to ensure your extension cords you use with the orbital our rated equal to or greater than the orbital itself.
4) Ceramic coatings are not as hard to apply as I anticipated. If you study the process and take your time you can do it.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:39 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymond Grand Sport
Main purpose of attending was to see if I could use an orbital. I still do all paint correction steps by hand. I was concerned that the mechanical advantage devices might get away from me and damage my paint. Unless I was sure, I was not going to use one unless I could be near 100% sure I could use an orbital with confidence. I left feeling confident and will purchase one. Some other general leanings as follows:

1) Waterless wash - I don't use enough towels. In general in all detailing steps I need more towels, they used many more than I use in every step.
2) Wheel and tire cleaning - they really scrubbed the tires, used an orbital with a brush on it. Wanted to ensure the tires were really clean before dressing.
3) Need to ensure your extension cords you use with the orbital our rated equal to or greater than the orbital itself.
4) Ceramic coatings are not as hard to apply as I anticipated. If you study the process and take your time you can do it.
Awesome! I would love to go to one. Those 4 points are spot on. I would not do Waterless washes though, too easy to scratch paint. The rest of it is great knowledge!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:51 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Very cool! Mike is THE man!
Yep....

He is the King of bling.....

Old 01-02-2019, 12:55 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Raymond,

Just now found this thread.... thank you for attending the roadshow class!

We had a lot of cool cars there to train on and I think you'll agree - it was ALL HANDS-ON and except for lunch, zero butt-time in chairs.

Last edited by MikePhillips; 01-02-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Raymond Grand Sport
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikePhillips
Hey Raymond,

Just now found this thread.... thank you for attending the roadshow class!

We had a lot of cool cars there to train on and I think you'll agree - it was ALL HANDS-ON and except for lunch, zero butt-time in chairs.

Thanks Mike! Its actually Keith (Raymond a shout out to my grandfather). I have to tell one story, Mike may remember this. He asked us to be there at 7:00 to register for a 7:30 start. We started right on time. All hands on, FANTASTIC! All first class tools and products, nothing but the top stuff for us to use and try. As you can see from the pic above, I am on the wrong side of 60. so, about 10, after 2 1/2 hours in, I am thinking a short break, at 11, 11:30, I am still hoping for one. Finally lunch comes at 12, I am celebrating! 4 1/2 hours straight, and those orbitals, they don't work themselves! At 12:30 back we go, at 2:30 I went to Mike and said "gotta have 15 here", no problem he said. We went until 5:30, much appreciated and great teaching, tools, product, product reps (some owners), Fantastic! Thx!

Get notified of new replies

To Mike Phillips Autogeek Roadshow Class

Quick Reply: Mike Phillips Autogeek Roadshow Class