C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Questions about the ZO6 Drive Modes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 PM
mdwsr2003
Pro

Location: Metro Atlanta (by way of L.A.) Ga (Army Strong Retired)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Questions about the ZO6 Drive Modes

Just picked up an 18 ZO6 2LZ Coupe yesterday and had a couple of questions

1) is there a mode that you should use while driving in day to day crowded stop and go city traffic like Atlanta (so as not to damage anything

2)Will driving in any mode for the mojarity of the time damage anything
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Tim Porreca
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18, '19

Congrats on a great car. A8 or M7? Your not going to break anything. Sounds like most people are in Sport mode 90% of the time. There’s been talk that using track mode all the time is bad but I’ve not seen anything explaining why so it is just rumor in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Trackhawkz06 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Most run sport mode or tour mode for a bit of a smoother overall ride. Save track mode for the track as it is a bit harsh for the street and some have bent their rims running track mode on rough streets/roads.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:44 PM
McFly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Don’t drive in track mode, potholes can damage shocks per Spring Mountain Driving School. ECO is more for highway at 70+.
GREAT car, so much power. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 PM
mdwsr2003
Pro

Location: Metro Atlanta (by way of L.A.) Ga (Army Strong Retired)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I went with a A8 because I’m in a crowded city. I came from a C6 Coupe, which I sold last week. I traded in an RX8 Stick for the C6 in 07 when I was in Hawaii. I was dead set against a Auto/Paddle Shift until I drove in Honolulu traffic, man what a relief it was to be with no clutch every stopping every 10 yards
Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Driving on the road use Tour Mode in Dry Weather and Weather in wet/slippery conditions just like they tell you do at Spring Mountain. Sport is a little stiffer than Tour and the Steering is sped up but it also gets harder to turn. Personally, I like the feel of the Steering in Tour. It is light and easy. Track mode is very stiff riding and the steering is sped up a little more and is harder to turn than Sport. What is interesting about track mode is when you are at speed and pushing hard through corners the steering effort seems to be about the same as Tour. Of course you need to have some speed in the corners for it to feel that way. Most street drivers pucker factor out long before they get to that speed level in turns.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:38 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Other than a different suspension set up from sport to track,how does sport to track effect the quality of transmission shifts in the A8, faster/ harder?

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 07-21-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:41 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Other than a different suspension set up from sport to track,how does sport to track effect the quality of transmission shifts in the A8, faster/ harder?
Yup
Old 07-21-2018, 02:49 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Driving on the road use Tour Mode in Dry Weather and Weather in wet/slippery conditions just like they tell you do at Spring Mountain. Sport is a little stiffer than Tour and the Steering is sped up but it also gets harder to turn. Personally, I like the feel of the Steering in Tour. It is light and easy. Track mode is very stiff riding and the steering is sped up a little more and is harder to turn than Sport. What is interesting about track mode is when you are at speed and pushing hard through corners the steering effort seems to be about the same as Tour. Of course you need to have some speed in the corners for it to feel that way. Most street drivers pucker factor out long before they get to that speed level in turns.

Bill
Bill I think there are just two different steering ratio's . 1 for Tour then 1 for sport/track!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

The differences are pretty subtle between Weather/ECO/Tour and if I was commuting in Atlanta I'd opt for either Tour or ECO. I say that because the only real difference per the owner's manual (really in Tour and ECO) is a slightly more aggressive shift to AFM which may work well since Atlanta is fairly flat and you may see a little benefit from it. I have a lot of stop and go traffic and tend to stay in Tour mode but have been experimenting with ECO mode just for giggles. I have the A8 and love it but acknowledge that with a lot of traffic this a'int a Prius so the milage is not really a concern but why not squeeze what I can. Flame suit on from the ECO mode nay-sayers but will utilize the system in town for testing and routinely do on the occasional road trip...

Shifting to Sport (and especially Track) for daily driving will not gain you much other than a punishing ride and "possibly" a bent wheel. I haven't been in ATL for a few years but from what I remember would avoid either mode since I recall some chuck holes in the concrete that would end badly...

Allen
Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

We recently completed a 5200 mile trip from Montana to Dallas to Houston to Sulfur LA, Jackson MS, Anniston AL and return in a 2016 Z06 Z07 A8. I had new Pilot Super Sport ZP,s mounted, the GM magnetic ride update and a street alignment done just prior to departure. We got a measured 21.7 mpg for the trip. (I have found the computer mpg calculations a bit optimistic.) I tried all settings except track, at least one tank of fuel per setting to see if there was any detectable difference among them in fuel mileage. None. We settled on Sport mode for the major portion of the trip. Very comfortable, pleasant excursion. Great car.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Bill I think there are just two different steering ratio's . 1 for Tour then 1 for sport/track!
After reading your post I checked the service manual. It looks like there is only one ratio. The power steering module varies the amount of steering assist based on feedback from the power steering shaft torque sensor, the power steering motor rotational sensor, battery voltage and the GMLAN Serial Data Circuit to determine how much assistance to provide. The GMLAN provides vehicle speed and engine speed to the power steering module so it knows to provide more boost when the car is being parked than when it is driving down the highway at 70 mph. That explains why I feel the steering resistance go up when I switch from Tour to Sport to Track on my car.
Bill
Old 07-22-2018, 12:11 AM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

My new ZO6 M7 is only at 375 miles so my sample size is small and during break in but I have found the car to be responsive and enjoyable in sport mode
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by shopteacher
We recently completed a 5200 mile trip from Montana to Dallas to Houston to Sulfur LA, Jackson MS, Anniston AL and return in a 2016 Z06 Z07 A8. I had new Pilot Super Sport ZP,s mounted, the GM magnetic ride update and a street alignment done just prior to departure. We got a measured 21.7 mpg for the trip. (I have found the computer mpg calculations a bit optimistic.) I tried all settings except track, at least one tank of fuel per setting to see if there was any detectable difference among them in fuel mileage. None. We settled on Sport mode for the major portion of the trip. Very comfortable, pleasant excursion. Great car.
Whar is the update on the Mag ride please.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:45 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Whar is the update on the Mag ride please.
I bought the car in the fall of 2017 with 1300 miles on it and the snow promptly shut me down. I drove it from storage to the dealer for the tires, upgrade and alignment so I have no ability to compare before to after.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:53 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

I drive mine daily in Tour with exhaust and steering set to Track via settings on the touch screen.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

i drive mine in sport mode to include a 1,000+ mile trip last month. Rides better in sport mode after the suspension update.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about the ZO6 Drive Modes

Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

Crappy roads needs touring, so u don't bend the wheels. Of course you need the suspension ride update, and sport mode for decent roads is the way to go
Old 07-22-2018, 10:21 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

OP, then there are the 5 PTM modes. No, better not go there.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Grayc7z
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
I drive mine daily in Tour with exhaust and steering set to Track via settings on the touch screen.
Same here. I was using Sport mode but after reading some threads on here I’m seriously concerned about bending a wheel. Especially since the wheel/tire coverage doesn’t appear to cover it.

Last edited by Grayc7z; 07-22-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about the ZO6 Drive Modes