C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stumble at highway cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:51 AM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine stumble at highway cruise?

Hi everyone, it has been a long while since I posted! Overall, my car has been very good and is in the final (cosmetic) stages of restoration....
Currently, when cruising at any speed 65 MPH and over which equates to 3500 RPM and up, the engine hesitates/stumbles with both audible and physical attributes. The car feels like it is shaking back/forth almost like the engine stops running and restarts but very rapidly and constantly. If you go below 65, the issues are non existent, and if you go WOT itll pull fine to 100 no problem as if there was no issue. Cold starts fine, hot starts are normal Holley nonsense. Idles fine, drives fine at any speed lower than 65. Any thoughts?

-Will
Old 07-21-2018, 09:29 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Could be running lean at cruise. Try increasing primary jet size.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:40 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

So basically you have a "stumble" in the middle of the RPM range. Isn't that about when the secondaries are all ready beginning to open? Vac or mech?
I hear you about the Holley hot starts, just part of the game some days. But I would question the secondary side of your Holley:
Secondary:
Float level.
Squirters and pump if mech sec..
Spring adjustment if Vac sec.
Secondary throttle blades actually opening or you just think they are?
Maybe passages blocked in metering block?

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 07-25-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:03 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I would look into the timing as well. By 3500 rpm you're likely fully advanced mechanically and when in cruise now it's fully advanced on the vacuum advance. So you may be running too much timing.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

I would suspect a clogged fuel filter /tanksock or failing fuel pump.. check your fuel pressure at idle and at 3500rpm.. I ll bet it drops off
Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
I would suspect a clogged fuel filter /tanksock or failing fuel pump.. check your fuel pressure at idle and at 3500rpm.. I ll bet it drops off
would not pull at WOT to 100 mph if it were a fuel delivery problem
Old 07-22-2018, 02:00 PM
VERYSOON
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I would look into the timing as well. By 3500 rpm you're likely fully advanced mechanically and when in cruise now it's fully advanced on the vacuum advance. So you may be running too much timing.
Having read Lars paper on timing a few dozen times I would think it possible you are getting too much vacuum advance, like reelav8r suggests. Perhaps a different vacuum can is in order. Classic symptoms while at cruising speed are: feels like a bit of a jerk, no power, then everything is back to normal.

VS
Old 07-22-2018, 02:17 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Just offering alternative possibilities.. Have you not seen pumps that will pump long enough to get you to speed but lose pressure under sustained steady driving? that's why I suggested checking pressure at 3500 rpm where his engine dying is.. but , no doubt you have it solved for him .. no need for other ideas...Its simple enough to check vacuum canister...UNPLUG it, drive 3500rpm. if problem goes away, that's it...if not...back to a fuel issue

Last edited by fishslayer143; 07-22-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2018, 04:30 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Just offering alternative possibilities.. Have you not seen pumps that will pump long enough to get you to speed but lose pressure under sustained steady driving? that's why I suggested checking pressure at 3500 rpm where his engine dying is.. but , no doubt you have it solved for him .. no need for other ideas...Its simple enough to check vacuum canister...UNPLUG it, drive 3500rpm. if problem goes away, that's it...if not...back to a fuel issue
guess I’m not following your logic.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

To the owner:
Would you happen to know what color coded springs are under the dizzy rotor? Light? Medium? Heavy?
Reelav8R brought up a good point that at 3500 RPMs the weights are LIKELY, (and that being the key word here) in fully advanced position.
If the springs or even the weights have any sticky-ness to them they will hesitate at middle cruising speeds. At WOT they will fly out without effort and will return at idle. But at med throttle, who knows where the advance is? Is it sticking?

You could pull the rotor and glance at the advance. What springs are there? Smear a little White Lithium grease under the weights. Install rotor and see if it snaps into position after advancing it by hand. It should release quickly and easily EVERY time.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 07-25-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

All new parts. Will check fuel pressure though.

-Will
Old 07-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
To the owner:
Would you happen to know what color coded springs are under the dizzy rotor? Light? Medium? Heavy?
Reelav8R brought up a good point that at 3500 RPMs the weights are LIKELY, (and that being the key word here) in fully advanced position.
If the springs or even the weights have any sticky-ness to them they will hesitate at middle cruising speeds. At WOT they will fly out without effort and will return at idle. But at med throttle, who knows where the advance is? Is it sticking?

You could pull the rotor and glance at the advance. What springs are there? Smear a little White Lithium grease under the weights. Install rotor and see if it snaps into position after advancing it by hand. It should release quickly and easily EVERY time.
It is a brand new Mallory tach drive distributor. Electronic ignition of course. I have it timed exactly per Lars' timing paper. 32 degrees all in at 3000+ RPM. Is this wrong?

-Will
Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Oh wait this does make sense. Pulls no problem if I stay in it, has no problem pulling to 5500 RPM
-Will
Old 07-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

You're saying just disconnect the vacuum can on the carb? Interesting idea... I can try and report back. It is raining here for the next week so it might take me a while.
-Will
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by VERYSOON
Having read Lars paper on timing a few dozen times I would think it possible you are getting too much vacuum advance, like reelav8r suggests. Perhaps a different vacuum can is in order. Classic symptoms while at cruising speed are: feels like a bit of a jerk, no power, then everything is back to normal.

VS
I could be wrong but when I timed the engine a while back I did it per Lars' specs and it worked out to be basically spot on. Would it make sense to disconnect the vacuum can on the distributor to test this?

-Will
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

So a summary of suggestions - could be vacuum advance or vacuum secondary issue? I will try eliminating the vacuum advance and see if that changes anything.

-Will
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Or a lean cruise condition as I mentioned earlier.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine stumble at highway cruise?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:29 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

The thing I find most concerning about your description is that it shakes and stumbles enough that you can hear AND feel it. It sounds like it could be as bad as pre-ignition. Usually pre-ignition is preceded by detonation, however it's possible that the detonation may not be audible to you or the sound you are hearing IS detonation. It often sounds like a small hammer on metal or like small rocks being shaken in a can.

Lars describes excessive ignition lead at cruise as "trailer hitching". It jerks back and forth like your towing a trailer.

Too much ignition lead and the fuel/air charge is igniting and burning too early creating lots of positive pressure for the rising piston to fight still in the combustion stroke phase.

Pre-ignition is a source of ignition that ignites the fuel/air charge even earlier than the ignition spark creating destructive pressure and heat conditions while the piston is still trying to get near TDC on the combustion stroke.

Once you go to WOT the manifold vacuum drops off and so does you vacuum advance timing, leaving you only with initial and mechanical advance.

Oh wait this does make sense. Pulls no problem if I stay in it, has no problem pulling to 5500 RPM
-Will
Yes, you understand correctly.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 07-23-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Or a lean cruise condition as I mentioned earlier.
I didn't forget this either - I'm going to check timing issues first because that is easier to check. Will report back.

-Will
Old 07-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

The thing I find most concerning about your description is that it shakes and stumbles enough that you can hear AND feel it. It sounds like it could be as bad as pre-ignition. Usually pre-ignition is preceded by detonation, however it's possible that the detonation may not be audible to you or the sound you are hearing IS detonation. It often sounds like a small hammer on metal or like small rocks being shaken in a can.

Lars describes excessive ignition lead at cruise as "trailer hitching". It jerks back and forth like your towing a trailer.

Too much ignition lead and the fuel/air charge is igniting and burning too early creating lots of positive pressure for the rising piston to fight still in the combustion stroke phase.

Pre-ignition is a source of ignition that ignites the fuel/air charge even earlier than the ignition spark creating destructive pressure and heat conditions while the piston is still trying to get near TDC on the combustion stroke.

Once you go to WOT the manifold vacuum drops off and so does you vacuum advance timing, leaving you only with initial and mechanical advance.

Yes, you understand correctly.
Well I don't think it is detonation/pinging I know what that sounds like. Trailer hitching is a perfect description! And I don't hear it per say as much as it just sounds like the engine cuts out.
I suppose that means I have too much timing....

-Will

Quick Reply: Engine stumble at highway cruise?