Southern California Southern California

Buying a used car private party in so cal- what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Buying a used car private party in so cal- what to look for

hi everyone. We’re looking at two local potential private party cars for sale. One of them has the title in hand and the other title is with San Diego community credit union (I believe that was the name). What do we need to do or ask for if trying to buy one of these cars? I’m especially concerned with the one where the title lies with the bank.

its been years since I have bought a car private party so thanks in advance. I also know Ca is more strict than other states so I placed this in this section.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 AM
ULEWZ
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
hi everyone. We’re looking at two local potential private party cars for sale. One of them has the title in hand and the other title is with San Diego community credit union (I believe that was the name). What do we need to do or ask for if trying to buy one of these cars? I’m especially concerned with the one where the title lies with the bank.

its been years since I have bought a car private party so thanks in advance. I also know Ca is more strict than other states so I placed this in this section.
Do the deal at the credit union. They will handle the paperwork and have the pink mailed to you. That is the best way imo.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:58 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ulewz
do the deal at the credit union. They will handle the paperwork and have the pink mailed to you. That is the best way imo.
Name:  photo712.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  529.1 KB
Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

awesome, thanks for the input
Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Make the deal on the best car for the $$. Title will work out either way

if you wanted specifics on what to look for, more details are needed. Those really specific details like year
Old 07-22-2018, 01:58 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Nope. Still toying with the c4 but this is for a family car, an Audi. Depreciation on those cars makes them especially attractive.

on this one, the title is with the bank still so I guess I’ll request some of the supporting paperwork and then transact the deal at the bank if it’s a go.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Do the transaction 2 places. Take the seller with you to your bank so he can watch you get the cashier's check. That way he knows it is not forged. Then together head to AAA and do the registration and title transfer. You will pay the fees and walk out with your license plate and registration and the seller knows that you now have registered the car so he is released from liability. All this generally can be done in 30 minutes. If you buy the car with the lien add a 3rd place, the CU. Go to your bank, then to the CU to pay them and get the release of lien and then to AAA.

What Audi are you getting. I am toying with the idea. They seem to be particularly nice cars. I likely would get an S4 or S5.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Do the transaction 2 places. Take the seller with you to your bank so he can watch you get the cashier's check. That way he knows it is not forged. Then together head to AAA and do the registration and title transfer. You will pay the fees and walk out with your license plate and registration and the seller knows that you now have registered the car so he is released from liability. All this generally can be done in 30 minutes. If you buy the car with the lien add a 3rd place, the CU. Go to your bank, then to the CU to pay them and get the release of lien and then to AAA.

What Audi are you getting. I am toying with the idea. They seem to be particularly nice cars. I likely would get an S4 or S5.
Very good advice .....

DH
Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Just so you know its called San Diego County Credit Union. Good people to work with.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:54 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Just so you know its called San Diego County Credit Union. Good people to work with.
yup I kept seeing the sdcc so I was a little off.

looking at a rs7 with 27k miles and still under factory warrantee. If we go that route I’ll buy the extended warrantee to not have to worry as much about the big expenses. Not cheap but hey new mustang gt’s cost as much as this car used almost

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a used car private party in so cal- what to look for

Quick Reply: Buying a used car private party in so cal- what to look for