Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Brake bleeding issue

Old 07-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Vmaxkid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake bleeding issue

We are having an issue bleeding the right front caliper which we just replaced. All other brakes have been bled but the right front won’t allow any fluid to pass through. The thought is the Bosch ABS pump may be bad. I read elsewhere that using a scan tool it cycles the abs unit to bleed. I read that works on second generation AbS systems. I know that my 1988 is a first generation abs system so not sure if that would apply. Any thoughts as to why fluid will not bleed out?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:04 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Vmaxkid
We are having an issue bleeding the right front caliper which we just replaced. All other brakes have been bled but the right front won’t allow any fluid to pass through. The thought is the Bosch ABS pump may be bad. I read elsewhere that using a scan tool it cycles the abs unit to bleed. I read that works on second generation AbS systems. I know that my 1988 is a first generation abs system so not sure if that would apply. Any thoughts as to why fluid will not bleed out?
I dont know the answer to this but since you didnt mention anything about the car pulling to one direction I doubt this is a problem with your abs or caliper. Are you vacuming or did you press the pedal or both? Seems like the bleeder might be clogged. Id try to shove something into the hole. Im about to do this same thing so I will let you know if I encounter anything odd as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Get a set of speed bleeders, it will make bleeding your brakes fun.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Hornet
Get a set of speed bleeders, it will make bleeding your brakes fun.
Are you referring to something like this?:
Amazon Amazon

Know what size thread we need?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The rubber brake line may have internally collapsed. You can disconnect it at the frame rail to confirm this.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:51 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

It's also fairly common for the ABS pump to have a stuck solenoid blocking fluid flow. If it's not the hose and you don't get fluid flow, there's where I would look next.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Vmaxkid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
It's also fairly common for the ABS pump to have a stuck solenoid blocking fluid flow. If it's not the hose and you don't get fluid flow, there's where I would look next.
I am guessing if it is the pump the only thing I can do is buy a used one at this point correct? They aren’t rebuildable?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Are you referring to something like this?:
https://www.amazon.com/Russell-63956...ustomerReviews

Know what size thread we need?
Yes, and my 91 uses 10mm x 1.00
Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Vmaxkid

I am guessing if it is the pump the only thing I can do is buy a used one at this point correct? They aren’t rebuildable?
Yes, finding a good used one or bypassing it are the only reliable options. You can try removing it, using penetrating oil and working the solenoids if you're handy and lucky. They rust-up from years of moisture saturated brake fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake bleeding issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake bleeding issue