C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Slow Cranking, "Dead Battery" clicking but NEW battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 AM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Slow Cranking, "Dead Battery" clicking but NEW battery

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my car starting (1995 LT1 6-speed). I will tell you everything I've recently done. I'm looking for the best places to start troubleshooting.The engine runs great, i have no codes and no performance issues once it's running.

This is all new within the last 2 weeks...(i did all the work myself)
New Opti, New Coil, New ICM, New Plugs&Wires and New Bosch Battery

Now the Car started right up after performing the Opti replacement and ran (runs) fine with no codes or service lights at all. Then I had a bad battery (from not being maintained over the last 2 winters). I could charge it with my wall charger enough to give it a solid start but my alternator wasnt able to keep it charged so i just bought a Bosch, which is a very powerful battery.

The issue I'm having is consistent...when the car has been sitting for a while, even just over night, the initial turning of the key gives fast rapid clicking (like a weak battery...not a loud single click from a starter). Then I cycle the key again and get a very slow crank which may or may not start the car (usually does). If I need to cycle the key one more time it fires right up without an issue. After its been running it seems to start just fine the rest of the day.

The digital read-out on the dash with the key on the On (not the run) position says the volts are 12.4 or greater and when the engine runs I'm in the mid to upper 14's so all that seems normal.

The only thing I've done so far was check the battery connections. I can see that there is deteriorated metal on the positive side (i don't see a corrosion build up at all, just deteriorated metal) so i wire brushed it to make sure its clean metal making contact (there seems to me to be plenty of metal making contact when attached to the battery...but maybe not enough??).

Would the new ICM or Coil have any issues with my symptoms? should I need to replace the slightly deteriorated Positive battery cable? is this a primary or secondary Starting system issue??

I've been reading a bunch of troubleshooting but I'd really like to hear specifics from Corvette owners...

Thanks

Last edited by mark970; 07-22-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:59 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I would try cleaning the battery terminals and the clamps on your battery wires. On my first car, a 67 Mustang, I had the same issue. Replaced the alt, battery, and voltage regulator. I still had the hard start. My dad came over took some 60 grit sand paper and cleaned the cable clamp. Started right up.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I agree with cleaning your battery cables. You battery seems to have enough so I'd start with your connections.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Sounds to me like a parasitic draw problem.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Starter solenoid possibly... The starters themselves are usually pretty beefy, but the solenoids can go.

OR possibly in the fuel system, although the initial clicking would lead back to the starter, but you say you get a slow crank on 2nd try, and if you cycle a 3rd it starts right up... COULD be bleeding down fuel pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Slow Cranking, "Dead Battery" clicking but NEW battery

Quick Reply: Slow Cranking, "Dead Battery" clicking but NEW battery