Sponsored by:

Info about pop-up tents

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Info about pop-up tents

With Corvettes at Carlisle and other summer events coming up, we are looking to pick up a pop-up tent that we can set up to provide us some shade when we take a break from walking around the various events.
In looking on the internet for some options, as with so many things, we see there is a wide range of possibilities. But it is not possible to really gauge the fabric on top or the strength of the legs without actually being able to view the product in person.
For those of you who have such a tent, could you share with us the brand that you have or the brand that you wish you had bought. Of course, we want something that we can load into the back of our C7, along with our folding chairs, ice chest, suitcase, etc.
Thanks in advance for any info you decide to share.

Save the Wave!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I carry a 9x9 tent and 2 folding chairs to Carlisle each year along with all of our luggage. With a Convertible this is a real challenge but doable.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have had a few of them over the years - Currently I have a cheap 8 x 8 bought at a local bargain outlet (I think it was less than $40) that actually has lasted about four years so far with about 30 car shows behind it. Very easy to put up & down alone but has cheap fabric that's starting to pull apart now at a couple of seams. I also have a 12 x 12 Coleman which is MUCH higher quality, but you really need two people to put it up & down. My advice is to invest in a decent quality one, and practice putting it up and down in your back yard before you do it around your (or someone else's) Corvette. The Coleman is a good one, also E-Z-Up makes some nice ones. The cheap ones are OK if you don't mind replacing it every few years. Also, invest in a set of the slotted weights for the base of the legs. Well worth it. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I've had several for sports. I prefer the current EZUp with the easier to use corners. The EZUps are well made. Compare ITEM weights when looking on Amazon, not shipping weights.

Only problem I've ever had is people borrowing them and them taking flight and getting damaged that way!

Last edited by davepl; 07-22-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

A lot of car shows out here do not allow them because of the damage they cause when the wind catches them.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 07-22-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
I have had a few of them over the years - Currently I have a cheap 8 x 8 bought at a local bargain outlet (I think it was less than $40) that actually has lasted about four years so far with about 30 car shows behind it. Very easy to put up & down alone but has cheap fabric that's starting to pull apart now at a couple of seams. I also have a 12 x 12 Coleman which is MUCH higher quality, but you really need two people to put it up & down. My advice is to invest in a decent quality one, and practice putting it up and down in your back yard before you do it around your (or someone else's) Corvette. The Coleman is a good one, also E-Z-Up makes some nice ones. The cheap ones are OK if you don't mind replacing it every few years. Also, invest in a set of the slotted weights for the base of the legs. Well worth it. Good luck.
Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate you mentioning a couple of brands. I had seen E-Z Up in a search I did earlier today. I hadn't thought about Coleman, but they have been supplying quality camping and outdoor products for a long time.
I can also appreciate your comment about practicing putting it up at home before we use it on a trip. We were at the beach a few weeks ago, and watched a couple of people with such tents. One guy had evidently practiced beforehand and had a routine down; it took him about 20 minutes to get his up and ready to use. The other tent had several people trying to put it up. They had apparently just then taken it out of the box; it took them the better part of an hour to put it up. I was also wondering whether weights would be worthwhile to pick up; evidently they are.

Thanks again.

Save the Wave!

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I've had several for sports. I prefer the current EZUp with the easier to use corners. The EZUps are well made. Compare ITEM weights when looking on Amazon, not shipping weights.

Only problem I've ever had is people borrowing them and them taking flight and getting damaged that way!
Thank you for your input. I saw some EZUp tents when I did a search this morning; they all got very good reviews.

Thanks again.

Save the Wave!

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
A lot of car shows out here do not allow them because of the damage they cause when the wind catches them.
The only show around here that I go to that doesn't allow these tents is the Dulles Community Day show. Most others have enough shade that we can set up our chairs in the shade from the trees, buildings, etc.

Save the Wave!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-22-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I've seen C7 pop-up tents somewhere. But there were about $600-$700.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a 10x10 EZ Up I bought at WalMart back in 2010. it has been at Carlisle a few times. I do use two sheets as side curtains for shade in the afternoon and one time as a rain shield. Late afternoon lets the sun fill the area under the canopy. I use 1/8 rope from Lowes for the tie downs with 10" long HD spikes. Not a fan of the weights. I also put two angled stakes in each pole foot. Never had a problem with the wind.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I have an EzUp and have found it to be of outstanding quality and durability. I would not buy any other brand pop-up canopy. Among other activities I shot long range rifle competition and it sometimes gets pretty gusty. The spikes furnished work wonderfully and I have never had them fail me.

I have not, however, tried to put in my Corvette Coupe to see if it fits.

https://www.ezup.com/vista-g3.html

Last edited by Travelor; 07-24-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

EZ up
Old 07-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've also been interested in getting one. Knowing that EZ Up was my first choice company to buy from, MY QUESTION is do you go for ones with STRAIGHT DOWN LEGS, or ANGLED legs ? I'm thinking 10 x 10.

thanks,
Old 07-27-2018, 08:08 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Here is EXACTLY what you're looking for! I just got this in an email today....

https://www.corvettestoreonline.com/...ay-Canopy.html

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-27-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:31 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Strake
I've also been interested in getting one. Knowing that EZ Up was my first choice company to buy from, MY QUESTION is do you go for ones with STRAIGHT DOWN LEGS, or ANGLED legs ? I'm thinking 10 x 10.

thanks,
Oddly they base their size on the distance between the legs. An angled leg 10' x 10' has an 8' x 8' fabric shade whereas a straight leg 10' x 10' has a full 10' x 10' shade cover.

Get notified of new replies

To Info about pop-up tents

Quick Reply: Info about pop-up tents