Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mamo ECS build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Grabbin Gears
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mamo ECS build

Hello all,

Been lurking in the forum for a couple of years now since buying my 07 Z. A lot of great information on here that's helped me decide on how to go forward. My car is at my buddies shop getting some goodies installed as I type this. Car has a mild cam, AR 1 7/8 headers and Corsa exhaust from when I bought it. Dyno'd 495hp when I got it. Only has 10K miles on (6K from me in the last year or so). Decided to get the heads done, which turned into why not upgrade, well while I'm doing that... you know the story. I haven't seen anyone run boost through a Mamo set up yet, at least that I've seen. I had Tony keep the heads at 70cc to shoot for a stockish compression knowing I would likely add boost. Was planning on seeing what it put down all motor first but with ECS posting about a moving sale decided to pull the trigger now. Going to break in the clutch and rear then add the supercharger and get tuned. Mods will be as follows:

-Mamo TFS heads
-Mamo MSD
-NW102 TB (modified for boost)
-mantic twin
-DSS carbon fiber DS
-3.90 Motive gears (hate how tall these cars are geared)
-ECS 1500 3.6 pulley with 10% OD balancer (leaving restrictor in)
- ECS stage one E85 fuel system with ID1050X injectors
- Alky meth kit
-DSX flex fuel sensor

Im sure I'm forgetting something in there. I know most wouldn't spend the money on these type of heads if they are going boost but I'm a big believer in do it once and do it right. I think with the reduced restrictions in he heads/intake the advantage that I''m going to have over stock stuff is the power under the curve. I'll be interested to see what it puts down. I'm also at altitude so I have a bit more latitude on power before I start breaking stuff, 6000+ ft really reduces the actual hp/stress on things. Anyone run boost through Tony's setup yet?
Old 07-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

In for results. Should be a solid set up.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:23 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Doing it right can be subjective. Nothing wrong with stock casting heads. ~800whp and 3.90 gears will be fun.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Not a fan, and seems money could have gone to much better places. MSD intakes have enough trouble staying together NA let alone with boost. Best of luck, but seems like a ton of money that could have been spent elsewhere, since you are going to hit octane or motor limit.

Should be interesting, just seems like money used for the fancy heads/intake/TB could have built a bottom end, or gone into wheels/tires/suspension/etc etc.

I'm selling my DSS CF Shaft, if you haven't grabbed one yet. Just need to pull it out of the car.

Last edited by Unreal; 07-22-2018 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
Josh B. (07-22-2018), lt1z (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Grabbin Gears
Heel & Toe

I understand the stock heads are good from the factory and can be cleaned up to be even better. I also understand that everyone's going to have their own opinion. I generally keep pushing the limit of my cars until they break and then build them stronger. What I don't generally subscribe to is the theory that since you will be adding boost the other components are a waste. If a head can flow the best NA then boosted the results can generally be compounded, not negated. I'm sure I'm pushing the limit of the stock bottom end, which is why I'm going to leave the restrictor in for now. When I'm ready to build the bottom end I'll take it out and push it a bit further.

I also go against the normal belief that gears make a car harder to launch or control, people have been running high HP cars for decades with much steeper gears. Everyone told me I wasn't going to do anything but spin in my 03 cobra when I put 4.30's in it. I run 19lbs of boost in a 4100lb vert and with the IRS cut low 1.6 60' times on 3 year old 18" DR. Torque is going to take the path of least resistance, if you are loading up a tire because you can't get them rotating fast enough they will break free, make it easier for the engine to match tire RPM and you can actually move out faster.

As as for this car, I also have Gforce axles going in, ECS trans brace, 17x11 with 325 Hoosiers and already installed Viking double adjustable shocks . Also have 20" MT installed right now but even with this power the stock clutch couldn't hold better than 1.8's. Already have the drive shaft as well, but thanks for the offer.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ed-engine.html

Heres a great write-up by Tony himself (I know some of you are not a fan), as to why a better flowing set of heads really helps out overall power in a boosted application. It’s worth a read. He may have posted this on CF as well, and hopefully I’m not double posting. Forgive me if I’m out of line guys.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Like Unreal wrote, it's not a very ideal parts list, where you will likely run into the octane limit or power limit on the SBE. I would be worried about valve control with this topend AND boost. Say no to the Yella Terra Rockers, keep the stock LS7 rockers in it.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Grabbin Gears
Heel & Toe

I appreciate the feedback guys. It's interesting on the positive comments and results around Tony's builds and around the great results from ECS supercharger setups but once you put them together people don't seem to like it. I think the ECS 1500 will be less stressed, producing lower boost, lower IAT's and produce more power with less boost, I went with an aggressive pulley combo to make boost come on fast bit limit boost up top with the restrictor. My thoughts are this will be a fun street car that is maxing out the stock bottom end. I guess we'll see after the tune and some track time, but I'm happy to be doing something different.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:33 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The nice part about boost is u don't have to buy all those fancy parts unless you're going big power with a built shortblock. Sometimes I wish I would have simply thrown a blower on my car with a mild boost cam. Would have been a lot easier! Although we have to fix heads so we're kind of forced to not keep things simple.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Most of the issue is the YT's.

If you only wanted to max the SBE, you could of fixed the heads, did a cam, and then slapped on a blower. 750 rwhp is usually the known limit of the SBE.

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo ECS build

Quick Reply: Mamo ECS build