C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New heads ro no

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:49 PM
curtiss1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New heads ro no

Question? I have 05 c6 with varam CAI and axle back exhaust. I just got it tuned and still not that happy with the Hp. decided to get headers with catted x pipe and livernois cam. will it make a difference it I change the heads or not. whats the best heads for this vehicle? don't really want to spend a arm and leg either. I want it still street driveable.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Headers & a cam will make a noticeable difference, Watch what type of cam you buy because the wrong cam will make your car have lousy street manners. You need to decide on what is your comfort level as far as idle characteristics as some cams have a big lope at idle. Talk to Livernois as to what you expect in a street cam for your car, good luck!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

The stock 243 heads are bad to start with.

As for with cam, vavle springs will need to be changed out (will be done with the heads still in place and just pressure on the cylinders to hold the valves closed.

As for pulling the heads to have then worked or replaced with different heads, all depend on the mileage of the motor, and if you are looking to pick up everything you can with the heads as well. If mileage on the motor is high enough, not a bad idea to pull the heads to check the valve lash to the guides, replace the stem seals, make sure the rocker bearings are fine, and even drop in a new set of roller lifters as well.

As for cam's, some just want the lumpy idle sound without picking up much HP, while other want all they get with a cam for max HP at full RPM's; ending up with lower RPM surging of the motor, and a PITA to try to drive the car in traffic at low rpms isntead.

Trust is, the LS2 and LS3 take well to super charging for not much more than it costs to have a cam installed, and with S/C, no difference in the way the motor acts at low RPMS, but your looking at over 600hp out of the motor isntead ( well above what you can pick up with a cam on a N/A motor with the same displacement instead).
Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 AM
curtiss1
Intermediate

I was looking at putting a srage1 cam in, nothing radical. I was just wondering if there where better heads out there for my vehicle. it has 63k miles on it and I thought maybe now would be a good time to gain more Hp with possible changing the heads. Like I said I want this to be a daily driver in the summer but need a little more get up and go.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by curtiss1
I was looking at putting a srage1 cam in, nothing radical. I was just wondering if there where better heads out there for my vehicle. it has 63k miles on it and I thought maybe now would be a good time to gain more Hp with possible changing the heads. Like I said I want this to be a daily driver in the summer but need a little more get up and go.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/categor...nderHeads.html

https://www.lingenfelter.com/category/Camshafts.html

Installed packages....

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.W1WfesIpCUk
525 BHP / 465 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:
- Engine removal, inspection and cleaning for assembly
- Lingenfelter CNC ported & polished LS3 L92 cylinder heads
- Existing GM 2.165" hollow stem intake / 1.59" solid stem exhaust valves retained
- Three angle valve job, hand blending of valve seats
- CC chambers, surface, set spring heights and assembly
- Lingenfelter dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
- Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams GT11 hydraulic roller camshaft
- Ported & polished throttle body
- 160 degree thermostat
- ATI 10% underdrive balancer
- Lingenfelter C6 High Flow Air Intake
- Corsa stainless steel exhaust polished LPE logo tips
- All necessary gaskets, fluids & bolts
- Professional assembly & engine installation
- Engine testing & expert ECM tuning
- Chassis dyno testing before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package Price $9,995.00

Or Supercharge it....

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.W1Wf3cIpCUk
The Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger system is designed to be used with the stock C6 Corvette hood. This system allows C6 Corvette owners to obtain excellent performance improvements without decreasing reliability while still retaining the stock exterior look.

521 rear wheel horsepower
435 lbs-ft of rear wheel torque
As tested on a C6 Corvette MT

Package includes:
- TVS2300 Heartbeat Hybrid-roots supercharger
- Black powder coated supercharger case
- Clears the factory C6 Corvette hood
- Weighs 17 pounds less than the standard TVS 2300
- TVS2300 Front inlet front drive rotors same Eaton technology as the Corvette ZR1 LS9
- Includes twin dual-pass charge-air-coolers
- Acoustically designed to minimize noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)
- Better air-handling characteristics than comparable superchargers
- Internal Bypass Valve virtually eliminates parasitic loss
- High thermal efficiency
- High helix four-lobe rotors with 160 degrees of twist
- Redesigned inlet and outlet ports
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Lingenfelter 160 thermostat
- Lingenfelter Sub-frame Spacer Kit
- Professional installation, testing & PCM calibration
- Magnuson 3/36 warranty on supercharger assembly
- Chassis dyno testing before & after installation
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package Price $10,995

Last edited by Don-Vette; 07-23-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

A reasonable cam (nothing big) and a good port/valve job & headers will definitely wake your car up.
Doesnt have to be the most expensive package, just well done btdt.

Axle backs, CAI etc rarely add any butt dyno power.
Do you have an auto or stick?

Last edited by cv67; 07-23-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 PM
curtiss1
Intermediate

definitely don't want to purchase one of those packages. what are some good heads since you say the 243 are not good?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:24 PM
curtiss1
Intermediate

Has anyone bought headers and x pipe from speed engineering? the placed where I got my tune said they where pretty good and they would hook up to my axle backs.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had plenty of extremely modded Corvettes.

I had a set of LG Super-Pro's 1 3/4" and a ported FAST 102 sitting in my garage for over a year.

Finally took the plunge and had just those along with a 160 Stat and some different plugs installed with a conservative tune awhile back.

Car is an LS2 and put down around 402/407 RWHP/RWTQ on these alone and drives like a completely different car. Plenty of power and torque, and I didn't have to worry about valve springs maintenance, and don't have that classic sewing machine sound that comes with breaking into the valvetrain.

That with my CAI, and the GHL Lemans series catback make the car sound awsome. No drone, deep and throaty, and opens up very nicely under WOT.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 PM
curtiss1
Intermediate

I was thinking about the fast 102 intake but the placed that dynode my vette said waste of money unless I put bigger cam and I would need 500+ throttle body. I guess I need to save my money and get supercharger, oh well.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by curtiss1
I was thinking about the fast 102 intake but the placed that dynode my vette said waste of money unless I put bigger cam and I would need 500+ throttle body. I guess I need to save my money and get supercharger, oh well.
Honestly.....I think the ported Fast made as much power as a set of longtubes...maybe slightly more.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM
curtiss1
Intermediate

well, headed to get my longtube headers and BTR stage 1 cam installed by the dyno shop. I am hoping for noticeable difference. already have vararam CAi along with axle backs. Hoping that these mods will be enough Hp to satisfy. if not, will put car away for summer and save money over winter for S/C, or fast, or ported heads. lol
Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I absolutely agree with a ported fast being a great mod for the ls2. I felt more gain from it than I did from my kooks. If anything, get your ls2 intake manifold “radically” ported. I remember reading test that showed a 17rwhp increase with this and a 25 rwhp increase with a ported fast. I got my ported fast from vengeance racing during a free porting sale. Good luck and please share your results.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

then 243 heads were the BEST production castings for the cathedral headed motors. For a small cam, keep them. Are you M6 or an A4? that will help decide your camshaft. Keep intake duration under 230 and you will get the extra HP you're looking for. If you have an A4, you will need a torque converter change.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 PM
curtiss1
Intermediate

what does it cost for super charging?
Old 11-01-2018, 06:55 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

ECS. $8k installed and tuned.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Been down the cam, heads, intake, headers, exhaust path several times. Lots of fun - especially the max-effort cam option. But that’s lots of lope and anything but smooth driving. Sounds like you don’t want that. Anyway, there are some great drive ability packages out there that make awesome power and won’t have the maintenance. Example, Spinmonster spec cam with trickflow heads, intake, headers and you are at 500+ whp. After all those parts and labor, you could have bolted on a Magnuson heartbeat and have close to C6 ZR1 power and torque - the low end torque of the TVS blower is nothing short of amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To New heads ro no

Quick Reply: New heads ro no