C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:34 PM
swampmonster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine Oil leak

I see drops of engine oil dripping around the oil pan underneath the car. I'm sure there is a systematic way to diagnose this leak. Any recommendations? I've read that it's common for the oil sensor unit to leak. I guess I could check there first but is there an easy way to see if oil is coming out of there without having to take stuff apart? The oil pressure gauge seems to be acting normal, though. I'm really praying this is an easy fix.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:50 AM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Pictures are really helpful. It could be any number of things. The oil pressure sensor is a good place to start. Also make sure your PCV system is in good shape. The best thing to do is clean everything really good and then start looking. Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 AM
Bengtsson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mad oil leaking and could not locate it. After my harmonic balencer went bad, changing the seal did it for me.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,686 Posts

The systematic way to diagnose this is...clean up any remnants of the leak with Brakekleen and LOOK !!...can’t be any simpler !!!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:19 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

rwobs777 is correct. Get the front of the car up a little, jack stands or ramps work fine, and spray everything you can reach under the engine with a degreaser. I've had good luck with biodegradable cleaners that you spay on, let set and then rinse with a hose. Do the same treatment under the hood being careful around electronic parts. Once everything is clean you'll be in a much better position to tell where the leak is coming from. You'll have to check periodically to find the leak if it's small.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM
swampmonster
Instructor

Thanks for the responses! What's the easiest/fastest way to determine if it's coming from the sending unit or not, without having to take the manifold off?
Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by swampmonster
Thanks for the responses! What's the easiest/fastest way to determine if it's coming from the sending unit or not, without having to take the manifold off?
You just have to look. A mirror and a flashlight or you might get your cell phone in close enough to take a picture. The small cheap borescopes for your cell phone also work well.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 PM
swampmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simtech
You just have to look. A mirror and a flashlight or you might get your cell phone in close enough to take a picture. The small cheap borescopes for your cell phone also work well.
Thank you, I will try it!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 AM
swampmonster
Instructor

I think I found the area where the leak is dripping down from. Anything conclusive from this picture? This is on the passanger side. I'll take all the help I could get!

Please ignore the oily mess!

I tried getting my cell phone behind the manifold but it's too big. I'll try to find a small mirror on a stick and look back there.

Last edited by swampmonster; 08-02-2018 at 01:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Oil leak

Quick Reply: Engine Oil leak