C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Steering Alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:17 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Steering Alignment.

Hello All, Yesterday I had my Four Wheel alignment done on a Hunter Alignment Rack. Made a great difference in every aspect of the cars drivability. The only issue that has me confused is the steering doesn't center after a turn. It's a PS car, OEM, with Radials 215/70x15", and really isn't too much of an issue but does bother me. I'd like a few comments. BTW, I told the Technician I wanted at least 1.5 Degree or more on the Caster as per JohnZ Thread. Thanks, Al W.

Last edited by 67vetteal; 08-10-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 08-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Al:

Might be best if you post up the final alignment numbers...........especially front caster. Also type tires you are running......radials or bias ply.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:23 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

There is a way to losen the tension on the steering box.... need a wrench and big screwdriver.

Here is a video with a jeep for general concept and if ya search deeper I’m sure ya can find a C2 out there

Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
There is a way to losen the tension on the steering box.... need a wrench and big screwdriver.

Here is a video with a jeep for general concept and if ya search deeper I’m sure ya can find a C2 out there

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtXQvVNg6vI
That is a real dicey way to adjust the steering box and can result in damage without even knowing you're doing it...
The correct adjustment procedure is in all the shop manuals and involves a gauge and disconnecting the Pitman arm IIRC (I haven't done it in a while). Not to say you can't get some benefit with this procedure, but its way easy to go overboard and ruin a good steering box...

Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Is the alignment picture the final settings? If so, you're right - you do need more caster. I think I would give up some of the neg camber to get more caster if necessary. What did the technician say about dialing in more caster? Was that all he could get out of it? Also, what did he say about the rear toe? I don't remember what the rear toe spec is in degrees but it seems to be out of spec and a bit more rear toe in than needed.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,524 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

If that is your finished alignment, you didn’t get what you asked for.

Does the steering wheel just stay where you put it when you take your hands off the wheel and are traveling forward? You’re pretty light on the caster based on the display.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

The front camber numbers on that screen are positive and zero would be ideal plus the caster numbers are not large enough. Go back to the shop.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:23 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I would get the alignment correct, if they start playing with the box and don't correctly set it then your high lash will be off center and you will wear out the center tooth in short order. Seen it too many times with these boxes.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Need more caster with radials. Don't mess with the steering box unless it's on the bench.
https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...ignment-specs/
I run 4.0 degrees of caster. With 255-40-17. Helps center the wheel coming out of a turn.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal

Hello All, Yesterday I had my Four Wheel alignment done on a Hunter Alignment Rack. Made a great difference in every aspect of the cars drivability. The only issue that has me confused is the steering doesn't center after a turn. It's a PS car, OEM, with Radials 215/70x15", and really isn't too much of an issue but does bother me. I'd like a few comments. BTW, I told the Technician I wanted at least 1.5 Degree or more on the Caster as per JohnZ Thread. Thanks, Al W.

Hi , with stock A arms you will be limited to 1* or less of castor. The result is the car goes where you steer it. Modern cars with 4 -6 * of castor want to return to center and actually fight you from turning. No so with our stock C-2s, especially with power steering. You need offset A arm shafts to get more castor

jack

Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm running stock control arms and have 4 degrees of caster. Going for more negative camber next time I go to the alignment shop

Last edited by Saddletan; 08-10-2018 at 05:49 PM.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:54 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I hope that's not the final alignment printout. If it were my car, I'd want to have the same caster on the pass side (1 degree) even though it's in the green simply for road crown. I also would limit the toe to about 1/4 of what it currently is out front, and out back, get the toe as close to 0 as possible. The way it is now, your rear tires are pointed too far inward. Not good.
67vetteal (08-18-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
The front camber numbers on that screen are positive.
Oh crap - I missed that. Positive camber and that's all the caster they dialed in. I just assumed they had set some negative camber - bad assumption. Yeah, that's just bad all around.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:21 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Thanks to all of these informative reply's. I will report back with the end result of what happens. Al W.. So, I called the shop and the owner is away till Thursday. But, the fella that did the alignment answered the phone and I engaged him politely and we had a good exchange of information. Front: He remembered my requesting a minimum of 1.5 degrees Caster. He claimed he couldn't get anymore Caster because he ran out of available shim adjustment. False! Both sides have shims available forward stud and rear stud. Am I right? We talked further. I told him the rear Toe In was too far in and did he change it? He said he never touched it and claimed it would take three or more hours to do! I said are the rear Trailing Arm shims slotted or captured? He had no idea. Argh! The rear negative camber is also another issue. At this point I asked if he punched into the Hunter Alignment Machine my supplied specifications. He said "No". Sooooo, I decided I had heard enough and Thanked him for his time and that I would take it up with the owner. This once again demonstrates why I hate to have other people work for me. Please comment if you read this far. Al W.

Last edited by 67vetteal; 08-11-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Cautrell05
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

25 years experience here doing alignments. First off all there is way too much toe front and rear. A half degree front toe with radials will wear them fairly quick. Over a degree rear toe is also going to be hard on tires.
Generally I aim for around +0.10 front toe and something similar on the rear. If the rear toe hasn't been set in as long time it will most likely be difficult to get the shims out. How much that costs depends on the shop.
What the younger guys doing alignments don't realize when they are looking up specs is the factory specs for cars made 40 plus years ago were for bias ply tires. Not radials.
My recommendation for specs is around 0 camber front and rear, 0.10 toe front and rear and as much caster as you can get with the right side about .5 degrees higher for road crown.
I also have used longer bolts for the upper control arm to add more shims if needed. Just make sure they are grade 8.

Nick
Old 08-11-2018, 09:51 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cautrell05
25 years experience here doing alignments. First off all there is way too much toe front and rear. A half degree front toe with radials will wear them fairly quick. Over a degree rear toe is also going to be hard on tires.
Generally I aim for around +0.10 front toe and something similar on the rear. If the rear toe hasn't been set in as long time it will most likely be difficult to get the shims out. How much that costs depends on the shop.
What the younger guys doing alignments don't realize when they are looking up specs is the factory specs for cars made 40 plus years ago were for bias ply tires. Not radials.
My recommendation for specs is around 0 camber front and rear, 0.10 toe front and rear and as much caster as you can get with the right side about .5 degrees higher for road crown.
I also have used longer bolts for the upper control arm to add more shims if needed. Just make sure they are grade 8.

Nick
Thanks Nick!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,524 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Thanks to all of these informative reply's. I will report back with the end result of what happens. Al W.. So, I called the shop and the owner is away till Thursday. But, the fella that did the alignment answered the phone and I engaged him politely and we had a good exchange of information. Front: He remembered my requesting a minimum of 1.5 degrees Caster. He claimed he couldn't get anymore Caster because he ran out of available shim adjustment. False! Both sides have shims available forward stud and rear stud. Am I right? We talked further. I told him the rear Toe In was too far in and did he change it? He said he never touched it and claimed it would take three or more hours to do! I said are the rear Trailing Arm shims slotted or captured? He had no idea. Argh! The rear negative camber is also another issue. At this point I asked if he punched into the Hunter Alignment Machine my supplied specifications. He said "No". Sooooo, I decided I had heard enough and Thanked him for his time and that I would take it up with the owner. This once again demonstrates why I hate to have other people work for me. Please comment if you read this far. Al W.
You would be surprised at the number of “qualified” alignment techs who only know how to enter your car’s year, make and model and then align to the specs provided by the machine. You would also be surprised at the reluctance some have to enter custom specs even if they know how. You need to find a local shop used to doing four wheel alignment for the streetrod or auto cross crowd.

Last edited by Factoid; 08-12-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Crappy spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Alignment.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Factoid

. You need to find a local shop used to doing four wheel alignment for the streetrod or auto cross crowd.
Or buy the equipment and do it yourself.
Not that expensive or difficult.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:18 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davekp78
Or buy the equipment and do it yourself.
Not that expensive or difficult.
Basically what I do - garage alignment.

Unless the owner comes up with another Tech to do your alignment I think you need to find another shop and try to get your money back. That guy did nothing for you which is a common problem with older cars and too many of these shops.

A friend recently got ripped off for over $400 for an alignment of a newly-reassembled 69 Road Runner by a shop run by a supposed friend of his. They claimed one of the upper a-arm camber bolts was stripped out and had to be replaced - and from a picture of it, it was stripped pretty badly. He raised hell with them but got no where. As far as I know they got it aligned finally but charged him 3 hrs labor at $100/hr "team labor rate" to replace a bolt I strongly suspect they stripped out.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Cautrell05
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Ask around your area and see who is best recommended. Not every shop is qualified to do alignment on older cars. Or any car for that matter. The guy running the machine is more critical than having the latest equipment. Where are you located?

Nick

Quick Reply: [C2] Steering Alignment.