C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented cubby lid

Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Vented cubby lid

Does anyone know if there is a source for a vented rear storage cubby lid? I'm installing a small JL 1 channel amplifier in the cubby and want to ensure adequate ventilation. I've seen some install photos of vented cubby lids, but can't find a source. If anyone ended up making their own any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 08-13-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
Does anyone know if there is a source for a vented rear storage cubby lid? I'm installing a small JL 1 channel amplifier in the cubby and want to ensure adequate ventilation. I've seen some install photos of vented cubby lids, but can't find a source. If anyone ended up making their own any tips would be appreciated.
If you vent the lid, you will have to vent the carpet, or it won't do any good. I would go to Home Depot and check out their wire mesh products. You could easily buy a piece of the heavier wire mesh, cut it to fit the hole, and just put in place of the door. Cut the carpet opening a little smaller, and you are done. Save the carpet piece to fix with back-side mending tape when you are ready to sell the car.
The following users liked this post:
CrystalRedTed (08-14-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:50 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
If you vent the lid, you will have to vent the carpet, or it won't do any good. I would go to Home Depot and check out their wire mesh products. You could easily buy a piece of the heavier wire mesh, cut it to fit the hole, and just put in place of the door. Cut the carpet opening a little smaller, and you are done. Save the carpet piece to fix with back-side mending tape when you are ready to sell the car.
Thanks. My car must be a bit different than yours as the carpet does not cover the cubby lid. The carpet ends at the plastic frame that surrounds the lid. Makes it even easier. I do have a rubber mat, which I'll need to deal with.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Never seen the vent cubby lid OP mentions.
Great DIY project.

Advise...
Measure twice cut once.
Remove the lid from the car, I would.
Hole saw.
Not sure if cutting though carpet glued to the top of the cubby will bring issues.
After the holes are cut, add some screen for style.

Great idea/ project good luck.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Two thoughts.

1) Dont put it there, that's nearly the hottest place in the car. Put it under the paste get foot well with the nose amp if anything. There is copious amounts of room as well as all the electrical hook ups you need there

2) if you do put it there, just trim the backside of the console instead of a hole in it. Just trim off a half inch from the back so it doesn't seal up as well (not that it seals well at all but whatever).
Old 08-14-2018, 08:04 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Never seen the vent cubby lid OP mentions.
Great DIY project.

Advise...
Measure twice cut once.
Remove the lid from the car, I would.
Hole saw.
Not sure if cutting though carpet glued to the top of the cubby will bring issues.
After the holes are cut, add some screen for style.

Great idea/ project good luck.

Good suggestion. I was thinking in terms of a square cutout, since that was the example I saw. However a couple of circular holes drilled out with a hole saw will be far more straigthforward!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Two thoughts.

1) Dont put it there, that's nearly the hottest place in the car. Put it under the paste get foot well with the nose amp if anything. There is copious amounts of room as well as all the electrical hook ups you need there

2) if you do put it there, just trim the backside of the console instead of a hole in it. Just trim off a half inch from the back so it doesn't seal up as well (not that it seals well at all but whatever).
For better or worse I already have the amp wired up in the cubby. It seems like every locations has its issues. When I was under the dash running the power for the amp it didn't look like there was a whole lot of room for an amp in the passenger footwell....maybe because I have the Bose system with an amp under there already? I'll check out your suggestion about trimming the back side of the lid.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
For better or worse I already have the amp wired up in the cubby. It seems like every locations has its issues. When I was under the dash running the power for the amp it didn't look like there was a whole lot of room for an amp in the passenger footwell....maybe because I have the Bose system with an amp under there already? I'll check out your suggestion about trimming the back side of the lid.
Did you fold the panel up? Theres a fold up panel that covers the area, I've only had cars with Bose and had tons of room. I put my aux input device and bluetooth unit down there and had tons of room.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Did you fold the panel up? Theres a fold up panel that covers the area, I've only had cars with Bose and had tons of room. I put my aux input device and bluetooth unit down there and had tons of room.
No...I honestly only took a cursory look, since I already had the wiring routed to the cubby and wasn't excited about tearing into things again. If I have problems with heat in the cubby I will definitely check out this location more closely. I wish I had been aware of it sooner...most all of the posts I found refer to the cubby or behind the seat as the best locations.

I went a different route with the ventilation. I took the advice of buckmeister2 and just put in a mesh grill from Home Depot. It seems like it will do the job. This way I don't have to commit to mutilating the cubby door and can just reinstall it if I have to move the amplifier elsewhere. Picture of the grill bellow. I have the luggage cover so it won't be visible from outside. You'll notice the rubber mat - I'm just going to take that out of the car rather than cut it up. I'm not hauling manure so the trunk mat isn't super critical.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 08-14-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

That is not the cubby I was thiking of! I was thinking the center console. For that, I'be tempted to just wedge it slightly open. But the grate does look nice. Guessing it's for a small sub?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

That is not the cubby I was thiking of! I was thinking the center console. For that, I'be tempted to just wedge it slightly open. But the grate does look nice. Guessing it's for a small sub?
Yeah, it's a JL Audio JX250/1D amp (7-7/8"W x 2-1/8"H x 7-11/16"D) for the Stealthbox 10" Sub.
The center console is where my dashcam battery and AT&T Mobley hot spot live.

Get notified of new replies

To Vented cubby lid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vented cubby lid