C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:18 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice

I wanted to pick the brains of those who have done out of state private purchases of their cars and how that went. First time private purchase opportunity and out of state no less...I'm in Florida and I've got a Vette I'm looking at in Georgia over the weekend. Guy seems nice enough from the phone conversation and the price is better than expected if the car checks out. That part isn't the issue more than the hoops to jump through getting this process completed. Here's what I've been pondering:

1) The owner stated the title is still under lien with the bank he used to finance the purchase. Once I have the funds, it's a matter of a trip to his bank to pay off the loan. An area I was confused by would be the DMV is not open during the weekend, and the weekend is the only time I can get away from work to go. Would the bank most likely have the title in their possession to turn over to the owner who then signs over to me? Also, the owner is saying "cash only" as he was honest over the phone saying he doesn't know me and anyone can bring a fake cashier check for the amount. Well, that's a two way street when it comes to these kinds of transactions...I don't know him either. I'm still leaning towards the cashier check route because 1) it can be tracked, replaced if lost or stolen...cash cannot be 2) We can make the trip to his bank and cash it since a cashier check is guaranteed cash. Let me know how you dealt with cash only requests. Even if no one knows I have it on my possession, I don't feel comfortable having thousands of dollars of cash on hand.

2) As the vehicle is only four hours away from me, I'd like to just drive it back home. How much of an issue is there obtaining a temp tag to get the car home before I can officially register the car in its new state? Is this done on the GA or FL DMV side? Again, it's difficult to get to the DMV (which all around here are hours long wait time) during the week to get what I need.

The DMVs and their hours are proving to be the biggest pain in the *** in this opportunity. I can make a trip to the DMV work on the Florida side but I can't make it happen on the GA side if a trip HAS to happen to one. Please leave as much feedback on how you did your out of state purchases. Would love to hear from those in Florida who brought their cars back from Georgia.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 08-14-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM
GCBC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get him to sign the title and if his state requires it have him get it notarized. Borrow his license plate to drive it to fl then register it and mail his plate back.
I only buy cars from out of state it seems.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Consider doing a wire transfer for the payment. Your bank and the seller's bank (lien holder) can move the money from your bank to the seller's bank and place it in an escrow account. When you go to get the car and everything looks OK, then the money can be moved out of the escrow account and transferred to the seller. Just ask your bank how it all works. Some banks may charge a fee like $20 to $25 for the transaction. But the banks do it all. No check, no calls back and forth to validate a check.

As far as the title transfer, there should be a place on the title where the "Legal Owner" can sign to release all interest in the car. The lien holder will fill out a spot of the title that shows your name as the buyer. Get a BIll of Sale from the seller that shows his name as seller, your name as the buyer and a description of the vehicle (include the VIN number!!). Also list the mileage and amount you paid. Get the Bill of Sale and the Title notarized. You need to keep the GA registration certificate.The seller's bank can do this. If GA motor vehicle laws allow it, ask to leave the plates on the car for the trip back home. Then go to your DMV with the signed title, the GA registration and the Bill of Sale. They should be able to issue new plates and a registration. The new title will be sent to you
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

Nothing should need to occur at the GA DMV.

You should be able to get a temp tag from the FL dmv(we can get them in Texas).

I would have the guy make sure the local branch of his bank has the title in their possession. I sold a car and the local branch of the credit union requested the title to the car be sent to them from the central office, took like 3 days.

If the guy is set on cold hard cash, he's set on it. BUT a cashiers check or wire transfer should work too. Standing in a bank and having everything checked out should calm the guys nerves. But again if he is set on cash, he's set on cash.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the responses so far. We touched bases on escrow accounts during the phone call. Sounds like that may be the best idea. Also, regarding leaving his plate on the car, I had researched that and the overwhelming responses I came across were "no way in hell are you keeping my plate on the car". Considering the guy is iffy on anything outside cash payment, I don't think he'd be keen on me taking the car with his tag on it. That and he's a deputy sheriff so...not gonna happen. DMV website even says once the car is signed over, previous owner's plates come off at that time. I get that it's a loophole to get a vehicle back somewhere the quickest way but not gonna happen in this case.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I wanted to pick the brains of those who have done out of state private purchases of their cars and how that went. First time private purchase opportunity and out of state no less...I'm in Florida and I've got a Vette I'm looking at in Georgia over the weekend. Guy seems nice enough from the phone conversation and the price is better than expected if the car checks out. That part isn't the issue more than the hoops to jump through getting this process completed. Here's what I've been pondering:

1) The owner stated the title is still under lien with the bank he used to finance the purchase. Once I have the funds, it's a matter of a trip to his bank to pay off the loan. An area I was confused by would be the DMV is not open during the weekend, and the weekend is the only time I can get away from work to go. Would the bank most likely have the title in their possession to turn over to the owner who then signs over to me? Also, the owner is saying "cash only" as he was honest over the phone saying he doesn't know me and anyone can bring a fake cashier check for the amount. Well, that's a two way street when it comes to these kinds of transactions...I don't know him either. I'm still leaning towards the cashier check route because 1) it can be tracked, replaced if lost or stolen...cash cannot be 2) We can make the trip to his bank and cash it since a cashier check is guaranteed cash. Let me know how you dealt with cash only requests. Even if no one knows I have it on my possession, I don't feel comfortable having thousands of dollars of cash on hand.

2) As the vehicle is only four hours away from me, I'd like to just drive it back home. How much of an issue is there obtaining a temp tag to get the car home before I can officially register the car in its new state? Is this done on the GA or FL DMV side? Again, it's difficult to get to the DMV (which all around here are hours long wait time) during the week to get what I need.

The DMVs and their hours are proving to be the biggest pain in the *** in this opportunity. I can make a trip to the DMV work on the Florida side but I can't make it happen on the GA side if a trip HAS to happen to one. Please leave as much feedback on how you did your out of state purchases. Would love to hear from those in Florida who brought their cars back from Georgia.
NO way in hell is a cashiers check the same as guaranteed "cash" . if you had ever been to a big name Corvette auction you could see millions of dollars change hands, all in real cash .I have bought and sold a few Corvettes at auction over the years, the amount of cash in the hall is astounding. Cashiers check ? go **** in the wind .
Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I've purchased several cars from a private party out of state.
Each was different and a little "exciting" at times, but everything worked out in the end.

I would assume you only need to deal with FL DMV. It would be easiest to ask the seller to use his plate to get the car home and then mail that back (I've done that twice); otherwise, you need to get a temp tag from FL DMV (but how do you do that without proving you own the car via the title?) I hear what you're saying about the seller, but you might ask anyway (sheriff and all)

The bank may not have the title available. This happened to me once - I paid the loan off and the bank gave me a receipt, but waited a week before mailing the title (!)

Be sure to call his bank and ask what type of payment they want/need to release the title (a cashier's check may not "cut it")

Good luck with this.

I wanted to pick the brains of those who have done out of state private purchases of their cars and how that went.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Cashiers check only. Cash? Forget that. IMO, it's worth it to take a loan to have the funds and title transfer be the bank's problem. Then pay it off immediately.

All this other stuff is a great way to get ripped off.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 PM
new2me92
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

i have driven through three states with a car i bought with no plate. just proof of ownership and proof of insurance. just saying
Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

If its only a 4 hour drive have him deliver the car to you. Its worked for the last 3 cars I've bought. Then you can take care of the DMV stuff when its convenient for you and not a mad rush.
​​​​​​​Contact his bank and ask what has to be done to get the title. That way there are no surprises .

Last edited by ls777z; 08-15-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:47 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

I've bought some vehicles out-of-state and here's some options. One I talked to my credit card company to raise the limit on my card, I had the funds in the bank and could prove it. Go to his bank and use the card to pay off his loan, remainder to him and get the title and lien signed off and notarized there. Once was through a dealer and I had to pay sales tax in that state, my state has a reciprocal agreement, I had to pay the sales tax balance here once I got home. One vehicle came with the plates while another didn't and came with paper plates on it. All the ones I've done were over 1000 miles away so I wasn't about to try that with no plate on them.
Why not check with your DMV and see if they have any provision to get a paper plate?
Another idea is work with someone that has a dealers license, they can write paper plates. Might cost you some $$ for their service but it might be cheap money to do it safely.
Another idea is have it shipped or go with a truck and trailer if you're concerned.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:13 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

In Massachusetts, it's a huge pain. I've never bought and driven a car home legally. The stupid DMV is only open on weekdays, and since I actually work this always happens on a weekend. I always pop plates off one of my other cars so I won't be bothered. It's not the right way to do it, but I'm not going to buy a car and leave it with the previous owner.

My biggest concern would be getting the title properly. I'm sure the owner knows it's a PITA so if he's willing to go to the bank with you that's great. I would get the info on the lien holder and call them. I'm sure they can advise on what they can do.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by new2me92
i have driven through three states with a car i bought with no plate. just proof of ownership and proof of insurance. just saying
I did the same driving home about 240 miles on the interstate with no issues.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

I do have a plate on the never ending project car in the garage that is not expired. I guess I could pop that on the new car to drive home.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 08-15-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far. We touched bases on escrow accounts during the phone call. Sounds like that may be the best idea. Also, regarding leaving his plate on the car, I had researched that and the overwhelming responses I came across were "no way in hell are you keeping my plate on the car". Considering the guy is iffy on anything outside cash payment, I don't think he'd be keen on me taking the car with his tag on it. That and he's a deputy sheriff so...not gonna happen. DMV website even says once the car is signed over, previous owner's plates come off at that time. I get that it's a loophole to get a vehicle back somewhere the quickest way but not gonna happen in this case.
I agree. No way in hell I would leave my plate on a car I sold.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I do have a plate on the never ending project car in the garage that is not expired. I guess I could pop that on the new car to drive home.
Except it wouldn't be legal and if you didn't have insurance on the purchased car, you could be in deep if caught. In NY they would tow the car and give up your license on the spot. And you wouldn't get it back for at least 3 months in most cases

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 08-15-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Temp plates cost me $15 2 times in the past.

I recently sold a vehicle and the guy said... "as long as you have the title and it is dated the same day you don't need plates" (not sure I trust it)

Are you plating the vehicle anyways? Talk to your DMV, a dealer recently said if my plates are within 90 days of expiring, I have to renew them with him anyways, and can't just transfer. (still had a lot left)

Details on car?

Get notified of new replies

To Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice

Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I agree. No way in hell I would leave my plate on a car I sold.
Its normal in Texas and the DMV will instruct you to do it.

They will also instruct you, the minute the buyer drives off, to go online to their website and fill out the electronic form stating you sold the vehicle, to whom(including their address), and if you left the plates on or kept them.
1993C4LT1 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rjacobs

They will also instruct you, the minute the buyer drives off, to go online to their website and fill out the electronic form stating you sold the vehicle, to whom(including their address), and if you left the plates on or kept them.
Not with me. They can insure and get their own plates. Then drive it away.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:56 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs

This is how its done here in Cali as well.. plates stay with the car. Every used car I have ever bought kept its own plates. Every car I have sold was the same way.
1993C4LT1 (08-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Overthinking an out of state purchase: looking for advice