C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at getting a C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Looking at getting a C6

Hello, first post here. I love my current 2015 Camaro 2SS and it makes me smile every time I walk out from work and listen to it start in the distance and when I see it as I walk up to it. No one has a Camaro like mine around here, which is awesome.

I have been a bow-tie guy for my entire life for the most part. A 1975 Camaro 350 LS was my first car, I had a 1988 Monte Carlo with a 350, definitely a sleeper, a couple Chevy Trucks.
After college I got a 94 Corvette which I absolutely loved as well. However, once we had the first child I traded in on a Silverado 1500 Z71. After a couple commuter cars, I got my 2014 Camaro LS since I relocated to a closer office. Then shortly afterwards I upgraded is to my current 2SS. Fit the need of being able to take both kids with me, and even in a pinch the whole family.

The oldest is going in for her learners test tomorrow and by this time next year will have a car of some sort. Probably a sedan or a coupe with a backseat.

Anyway to make a long story longer, sorry about the long windedness, next year I had planned on purchasing my leased 2SS; however, I am now contemplating on upgrading back to a Vette. Probably a C6. I may trade it in or sell out right depending on the bottom line. Made 4k on the wife's Honda lease.

I added tune, along with a CAI and a Corsa Xtreme cat back exhaust which I plan on putting all the stock back on and selling for some extra cash.

Floated it past my wife and she knows I always wanted to get another Vette so of course she wants me happy. Love this woman.
I love my 2SS, and if I had all the expendable income would keep both, but alas not quite there yet.

Who knows, may change my mind by this time next year. However, my buddy just picked up another 2008 Vette and got me drooling and thinking.

My question is, is there any C6 year that I should look for in particular? 2008 and up as 2008 was first year with the LS3. Any special editions I may want to look at. Not looking for a Z06 or Grand Sport as I am sure they will be out of the ball park of what I need to do. New driver brings higher insurance and other expenses to plan for such as College.

Anyway, glad I found the site, hopefully will have a real reason to be here within 6 - 8 months.

Peace,
SPSandman

Last edited by SPSandman; 08-16-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

'09 was the last year of Z51 in the narrow body. So '08 and '09 are the only model years with the narrow body, LS3, and Z51. I like that combo because it handles but is easier on tires and has affordable (but very effective) brakes. A great driver sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Torchsport (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by torquetube
'09 was the last year of Z51 in the narrow body. So '08 and '09 are the only model years with the narrow body, LS3, and Z51. I like that combo because it handles but is easier on tires and has affordable (but very effective) brakes. A great driver sports car.
Stellar advice.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

U like the SS Camaro keep it especially if u have a family. Just wait a while, you'll figure out something. Easy for me to say, grown kids, a SS Camaro and a C5. I love the Camaro
Old 08-16-2018, 07:02 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I have owned seven vettes. My current vert is a 2008 and the three before it were also 2008. They are reliable. I’ve had two issues to deal with, a weeping oil pan which was repaired under warranty and recently, replaced the shifter system and cable. Both are commonly known issues.

I enjoy the Z51 option along with HUD.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Whatever you decide, make sure it has a LS3, most reliable of the LS series and GMs most popular crate engine.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by torquetube
Interesting, I didn't realize they changed the body style after 2009. Thanks for that information. Will definitely look for that. Is there a reason to lean towards the 2009 vs the 2008, since 2008 was the first year for the LS3 in the Vette? Will have to check into the specifics of the Z51. Seems odd Chevy would do that, but they have done plenty of questionable things in the past.

Originally Posted by ClipperFan
U like the SS Camaro keep it especially if u have a family. Just wait a while, you'll figure out something. Easy for me to say, grown kids, a SS Camaro and a C5. I love the Camaro
My Son just got his learner's permit and by the time I am looking to get the Vette he will have a car of his own of some sort and I plan on getting him a Sedan or a coupe with a back seat that we can ride in if I need to transport both kids (15 and 12). I love my Camaro, but I REALLY miss my 94 C4 and I told my wife and myself that I would get another one around this point. I would like to keep them both, but have to be fiscally smart with 2 College students around the corner. This, to me, is the perfect time for me to switch to the Vette. The lease will be up and instead of buying the 2SS I can get a C6. I may change my mind, but that is where I am leaning now. I have a Red Adrenaline 2SS with teh Commemorative package and love the look, but if I can get a Red Vette I think my smile would wrap all the way around my head

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Whatever you decide, make sure it has a LS3, most reliable of the LS series and GMs most popular crate engine.
Yeah definitely want the LS3. Wish my Camaro had it instead of the L99, but alas, I couldn't find the model I wanted in a Manual. Hopefully, I can find the Vette in a Manual.

Thanks for the information!

Last edited by SPSandman; 08-16-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:50 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The Z51 was a performance package option on the early model C6 (2005-2009).

Originally Posted by caranddriver.com
The Z51 package, which will cost about $1500, includes a stiffer suspension, tires that offer better dry-road grip, larger brakes, a six-speed manual with shorter ratios, and a transmission-oil cooler.
In 2010 this option package was replaced by the Grand Sport, commonly referred to here as the "wide body". In 2011 the seats were upgraded across the board, so that is another upgrade a lot of people suggest opting for if you are in the market and shopping for a C6.

More info about the model breakdowns can be found here.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the link. I think I have looked over there recently. Nice break down.

Or would it be a good option to look for a 2010 Grand Sport instead? I like some of the body additions the GS brings to the table. So it is a bit wider?

Last edited by SPSandman; 08-16-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 PM
DezVette
Pro

I think the market will dictate a final decision with availability when you are ready to pull the trigger. But if it were me I would narrow down to either a 2008-2009 narrow body with Z51 option or a 2011-2013 GS for the seat upgrade. The suggestions on the seats usually center around how much you will be driving the car. People who do longer road trips say the upgrade is worth it. But those who center around shorter drives of 5-10 miles I don't think it would be that noticeable. But, the only reference I have is with two 2013s. As for cost to maintain, the GS will be more expensive on replacing larger tires/wheels. If you go with a manual GS you may run into issues with the dry-sump system, which could be more to maintain, too. If you get a '11-13 GS manual I would probably get an after market extended warranty to cover the dry sump and other mechanical issues that may come up.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I got my '08 C6 in June - w/AT, 4LT and some special undocumented options - I've already decided on my next which will be my 5th Vette - '18 Grand Sport w/AT and 4LT coupe, but I have to wait a few years - to build up my cash - lol.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DezVette
The Z51 was a performance package option on the early model C6 (2005-2009).

In 2010 this option package was replaced by the Grand Sport, commonly referred to here as the "wide body". In 2011 the seats were upgraded across the board, so that is another upgrade a lot of people suggest opting for if you are in the market and shopping for a C6.

More info about the model breakdowns can be found here.
The seats were upgraded in 2012. 2012 and 2013 model years have the upgraded seats.
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 PM
DezVette
Pro

Oh, my bad. I thought it was in '11. But, as I said, my only driving experience is with two '13s.

So, in that case I would focus looking at a 2012-13 GS w/ 2LT for the HUD. If I were in a cold weather location I would look for a 3LT with the seat warmers. Since I live in CA, if I need my seats warmed, I can always go to Taco Bell.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:48 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome information thanks a ton!. This will be my daily driver to replace my 2SS, so comfort will be a plus. However, I drove my old 94 C4 the same way and had a couple 14+ hour drives to Florida so even those seats were fine.

I only have about a 30 minute drive to work, about 18 miles or so depending on the route I take, mostly back roads with some very nice turns along the way.

I definitely am aiming for a 6sp manual so maybe a GS isn't the best option given the dry sump issues. Didn't realize that was an issue. Definitely have a lot of catching up to do. I was a regular on the vette forums back in the day, but have been away since I traded it in back in 2002.

So I guess I should keep my search to an 08 or 09 and would definitely like all the options I can muster. Though, I really do like the look of the GS's side vents. The Z51 package has the same wheels as the GS, correct? Is there the same issue with the dry sump with the Z51 package?
The difference in tire prices is definitely something to keep in mind, especially since the G-Force Comp 2/AS I love on my 2SS don't come in Grand Sport sizes. Shame such a great value in tires.

I try to do a lot of the work on my cars myself, and a buddy of mine has a full lift in his garage which helps a ton, let me tell ya.

Last edited by SPSandman; 08-16-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 PM
DezVette
Pro

I would not shy away from the GS simply for the dry-sump. I was just noting it is another system in the manual GS to be aware of upkeep. It really depends on the specific vehicle as to any issues with it's pump. I am not sure if all GS manual have the dry-sump or only some. Others on here would be able to give the specifics on that. If you like the looks of the GS, I would definitely suggest looking in that direction as you never want to spend this much money on something you settle for and will always look at it as something you wish you had gotten the in the first place.

Maybe the best thing to do is to drive a 2011 and 2012 with similar specs to see if you can even tell the difference in the seats.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Awesome information thanks a ton!. This will be my daily driver to replace my 2SS, so comfort will be a plus. However, I drove my old 94 C4 the same way and had a couple 14+ hour drives to Florida so even those seats were fine.

I only have about a 30 minute drive to work, about 18 miles or so depending on the route I take, mostly back roads with some very nice turns along the way.

I definitely am aiming for a 6sp manual so maybe a GS isn't the best option given the dry sump issues. Didn't realize that was an issue. Definitely have a lot of catching up to do. I was a regular on the vette forums back in the day, but have been away since I traded it in back in 2002.

So I guess I should keep my search to an 08 or 09 and would definitely like all the options I can muster. Though, I really do like the look of the GS's side vents. The Z51 package has the same wheels as the GS, correct? Is there the same issue with the dry sump with the Z51 package?
The difference in tire prices is definitely something to keep in mind, especially since the G-Force Comp 2/AS I love on my 2SS don't come in Grand Sport sizes. Shame such a great value in tires.

I try to do a lot of the work on my cars myself, and a buddy of mine has a full lift in his garage which helps a ton, let me tell ya.
The Z51 package has nothing to do with rims or tires.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:12 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I would not shy away from the GS simply for the dry-sump. I was just noting it is another system in the manual GS to be aware of upkeep. It really depends on the specific vehicle as to any issues with it's pump. I am not sure if all GS manual have the dry-sump or only some. Others on here would be able to give the specifics on that. If you like the looks of the GS, I would definitely suggest looking in that direction as you never want to spend this much money on something you settle for and will always look at it as something you wish you had gotten the in the first place.

Maybe the best thing to do is to drive a 2011 and 2012 with similar specs to see if you can even tell the difference in the seats.
Gotcha, thanks. Will definitely keep all that in mind. Hopefully, I can maintain my patience or lack there of long enough to find the model that fits me best. Yeah buyers remorse is indeed a thing, I had it as soon as I bought my 2014 Camaro 2LS V6. Good idea on driving different models with the different seats. So the Grand Sport got the seats in 2012, or was it in any of the other packages during those years?

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
The Z51 package has nothing to do with rims or tires.
I was just basing it off of the description of the Grand Sport package which states that Chevy introduced the Grand Sport to replace the previous Z51 option. So I assumed the same wheel sizes were part of the Z51 since the GS included them. So guess the earlier Z51 simply added the Goodyear F1s instead of the stock tires along with the suspensions modifications? Thanks for clearing that up. The description of the GS was a bit confusing and guess it brought much more to the table than simply the Suspension upgrades

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at getting a C6

Old 08-17-2018, 03:01 AM
DezVette
Pro

The seats were upgraded in all C6 models in 2012. So, both the wide and narrow body models have the seats upgraded. The wheels were upgraded to a wider footprint in the GS with the suspension for more road contact and handling in the corners. In doing so, this necessitated the fenders to be flaired out because the wider wheels would stick out too far on the narrow body models. This is what gives it the "wide body" look and nickname.

As for buyers remorse, been there, done that. My first Corvette was a 2013 base 1LT model. I bought it as a birthday present to myself from a local CarMax with 801 miles on it in Jan '14. When I got that, I installed the HUD unit myself. At the time I did not know much about the different options and packages available to the Corvette but, I started to notice the different body styles and really liked the GS hood with the air vent. That is when I started researching more into what all the GS entailed and really liked what I saw, but I could not afford to buy two of these. Later that year, when on a spirited drive, I rolled my birthday present off of a canyon road and totaled it. Fast forward to four months ago I decided I wanted to get another 'Vette and started looking. This time I restricted my search to GS models. Even though I had done it before, I did not want to do it again, so I looked for a 2LT model that already had the HUD installed. I also love the Night Race Blue color, which restricted me to a 2013 as that was the only year C6 available in that color. I eventually found what I wanted at a dealer in GA and had it shipped to CA, sight unseen.

So, I now have a 2013 GS 2LT NRB that I LOVE!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:37 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

WOW! Damn that sucks about the wreck. Hopefully you weren't hurt too bad in the accident, nor anyone else was. That had to be scary as heck.
Yeah, I was just looking at what the "Wide Vette" was all about. I guess that is just on the GS? Or are all model years that have a GS as an option wider? I guess that is probably the case, as they wouldn't want to deal with more body parts if they don't have to. Yeah I definitely love the little extra look that the GS provides with air vents on the side and the hood as well. Found a nice GS near me that is perfect, but isn't a manual. I have a Automatic now and with the paddle shifters it is really nice, so maybe I will go with whatever I find as long as it looks good and has the options I want. So need 2LT and up to have the HUD? Definitely want that as I absolutely love it in my 2SS and don't want to live without that. Will have to look over the different LT packages to see what each include.

Thanks for the information! Glad you are back in another sweet ride! Watch those Canyon turns!

The seats were upgraded in all C6 models in 2012. So, both the wide and narrow body models have the seats upgraded. The wheels were upgraded to a wider footprint in the GS with the suspension for more road contact and handling in the corners. In doing so, this necessitated the fenders to be flaired out because the wider wheels would stick out too far on the narrow body models. This is what gives it the "wide body" look and nickname.

As for buyers remorse, been there, done that. My first Corvette was a 2013 base 1LT model. I bought it as a birthday present to myself from a local CarMax with 801 miles on it in Jan '14. When I got that, I installed the HUD unit myself. At the time I did not know much about the different options and packages available to the Corvette but, I started to notice the different body styles and really liked the GS hood with the air vent. That is when I started researching more into what all the GS entailed and really liked what I saw, but I could not afford to buy two of these. Later that year, when on a spirited drive, I rolled my birthday present off of a canyon road and totaled it. Fast forward to four months ago I decided I wanted to get another 'Vette and started looking. This time I restricted my search to GS models. Even though I had done it before, I did not want to do it again, so I looked for a 2LT model that already had the HUD installed. I also love the Night Race Blue color, which restricted me to a 2013 as that was the only year C6 available in that color. I eventually found what I wanted at a dealer in GA and had it shipped to CA, sight unseen.

So, I now have a 2013 GS 2LT NRB that I LOVE!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 PM
DezVette
Pro

I would look at the LT packages for the particular year you are interested in a vehicle as they changed in the middle of the C6 run. In '08 the HUD was in the 3LT package while in '13 it is in the 2LT. Once you find a vehicle, check the package listing for that model year. Most of the time you will not see which LT package specified in the listing. But, the pictures could help you to determine. For instance, if you see these buttons on the left of the instrument cluster , that is the HUD controls. If you see these two buttons on the left/right of the ashtray, behind the gear selector, these are the controls for the seat warmers. If these options are factory installed, and not after market, the seat warmers indicate it will also have the HUD, if there are no images showing the instrument cluster. But, it can have the HUD with no seat warmers, that is the 2LT package in 2013. The seat warmers were part of 3LT in 2013.

HUD controls:

Seat warmer controls:

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a C6